Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA Enhances its short haul economy fare structure

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA Enhances its short haul economy fare structure

Search this Thread

Old Mar 9, 2016, 1:52 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by AMBurns1512
In all honesty, I see this as quite an enhancement.
So were all the forum scaremongers wrong about this just being another BA scam in order to fleece customers?
Old Mar 9, 2016, 1:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GMLFL, Life 2.0 - Mucci Premiere Classe & des Chevaliers Toulousiens
Originally Posted by HIDDY
So were all the forum scaremongers wrong about this just being another BA scam in order to fleece customers?
I think you will find very little of that in this thread.
Old Mar 9, 2016, 1:56 pm

Programs: Star Alliance Gold (A3 Gold), Oneworld Emerald (BA Gold), Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by HIDDY
Well my main route VIE-LHR in HBO fare went up 9 EUR overnight, so indeed one could argue that. Still not sure what the difference will be between HBO and checked baggage fares.
Old Mar 9, 2016, 3:40 pm

Originally Posted by Calchas
Anyone who can't buy a semiflex fare because the buckets it requires are zeroed out

Anyone whose company obtains a full flex fare for the price of a HBO fare

et c...
I think my post did (or at least meant to) acknowledge those situations.

My point - which I appreciate is stating the obvious - is that if you're actually facing a choice for a particular flight between a cheap semi-flex fare or a much more expensive (easily 2/3/4 times more) published fully flex fare, there's basically zero value in the latter.

I guess the exception being when it's more likely than not that you'll need to cancel for a refund, but you want to secure a seat in advance just in case you *do* need to travel.
Old Mar 9, 2016, 4:22 pm

Programs: BA GGL (for now) and Lifetime Gold, Marriott fan thanks to Bonvoy Moments
Originally Posted by FrancisA
The only outstanding issue is whether the last status benefit (lounge access) is maintained for much longer on HBO fares. I suspect its days are numbered.
Just make sure to fly from T3 if that's the case - I'd gladly use the CX lounge there if that ever happens
Old Mar 10, 2016, 12:36 am
Ziz

Programs: BA Silver
Interestingly, yesterday after I posted that I was only being offered 'Economy' and 'Busienss' and not HBO, I discovered that I could still find HBO fares by going through google flights and clicking 'book with BA'. Not sure why I couldn't get them directly though. (haven't checked yet this morning)
Old Mar 10, 2016, 1:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by AMBurns1512
HBO option has returned on the LHR-BRU route. Hopefully it will be back for other routes soon. In all honesty, I see this as quite an enhancement.
Indeed. But that will probably mean that this thread will fizzle out because nobody's got anything to complain about!

Here's LHR-BRU priced today for 26 April, for those who are interested. All the HBO and WCB options book into Q class.

Last edited by Globaliser; Feb 27, 2019 at 9:24 am
Old Mar 10, 2016, 2:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Ldnn1
I think my post did (or at least meant to) acknowledge those situations.

My point - which I appreciate is stating the obvious - is that if you're actually facing a choice for a particular flight between a cheap semi-flex fare or a much more expensive (easily 2/3/4 times more) published fully flex fare, there's basically zero value in the latter.

I guess the exception being when it's more likely than not that you'll need to cancel for a refund, but you want to secure a seat in advance just in case you *do* need to travel.
Is this a change to the previous situation? What were/are the refund rules for semiflex?
Old Mar 10, 2016, 2:14 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Is this a change to the previous situation? What were/are the refund rules for semiflex?
... and is there a change to the Avios and TP earnings?
Old Mar 10, 2016, 2:57 am

Programs: BA Gold, IC Ambassador, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Fairmont Platinum
Originally Posted by Tobias-UK
Quote:

... and is there a change to the Avios and TP earnings?
My guess from what BA have said is that they have added semi-flex terms to the previous standard fare buckets, but without changing either cancellation terms or avios/TP earning for those buckets.

That means all with luggage fares will be semi-flex, but some will have better TP/avios earning (assuming very bottom buckets are available as with luggage fares).

Looks similar to CE where more expensive buckets bring better terms, not just increase in price.
Old Mar 10, 2016, 3:06 am
Ziz

Programs: BA Silver
Still only seeing Economy v Business for ARN-LHR/LHR-ARN
Old Mar 10, 2016, 3:07 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
My impressions, taking into account that it's a limited amount of data:

- no changes to LGW prices at all, but that's because the changes haven't rolled through there, still showing change fees on non HBO.
- not much changes on LCY, but the changes are in place
- not much change on LHR fares for flights a month out for shorthaul Europe
- an increase in fares for Domestic, the NCL-LHR £46 is now £54 across the board
- an increase in fares close up to departure, in the £3 to £10 area. So the delta between HBO and non HBO is maintained, but the fares are up
- no obvious changes to Club Europe, so closer in this becomes more attractive.
I've now had a chance to see the LGW fares, which now appear to be correctly in place from this morning. LGW is interesting in that there is the sharpest competition there from a range of low cost carriers.

From what I can make out, looking at fares and routes I know well:
- the headline "lowest" fare for HBO has been maintained. Geneva is available at £29.72 one way.
- no immediate Domestic increases, it is still possible to get to Glasgow for £39.80 even fairly close in (16 March) however I can see some evidence of fares rising by £2 from April.
- some evidence that the cheapest with baggage fares are a few pounds dearer, in other words a slightly wider gap between HBO and with baggage. On 40 flights I've checked it's about £2.70 more if I exclude the 10% outliers on either side.
Old Mar 10, 2016, 3:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by FrancisA
That means all with luggage fares will be semi-flex, but some will have better TP/avios earning (assuming very bottom buckets are available as with luggage fares).
Which they are, as illustrated by that LHR-BRU example I posted: all of the HBO and WCB fares listed there are Q class, ie 25% earning, non-UuA.

At the other end of the scale, a quick look at LON-AMS for today suggests that H class (eg BA440) will still come in HBO and WCB flavours, but Y (BA444) and B (BA442) are WCB only. This would align the HBO/WCB concept (including semi-flex WCB) with the booking classes whose fares were already semi-flex in a different sense, leaving the fully-flex fares in Y and B in a category of their own.

Last edited by Globaliser; Feb 27, 2019 at 9:23 am
Old Mar 10, 2016, 3:12 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Ziz
Still only seeing Economy v Business for ARN-LHR/LHR-ARN
Same here, but it works the other way around, starting from London, so I suspect it's a glitch that will go tomorrow.
Old Mar 10, 2016, 3:17 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
It appears those of us in the Regions are being left behind with this enhanced semi-flex fare structure. Wherever there is a connection involved the old rules remain - £60 to £100 change fee plus difference in fare, including changes on the day changes. That appears very unfair. Fares also appear to have increased too for the enhanced 'no change' semi-flex fares.

So it is a from me with respect to the changes where I need to connect - which is every flight I take that doesn't end in London.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.