Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

My first BA mileage run. Help map my airport journeys

Old Feb 24, 2016, 12:41 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Gold, SPG Gold, MR Gold, AA Plat Pro, HH Gold

I'm Platinum with AA aiming for EXPlat so I booked a mileage run with BA flights and have some questions about the airport connections. I booked PHL-DUB-PHL as one ticket in coach surrounding a separate DUB-LHR-LAX-HNL-LAX-PHL-DUB ticket in business class. I will not be checking a bag.

1. I'll fly PHL-DUB in coach, then a 4 hour layover before DUB-LHR in Biz class on an A320. What are the steps at DUB (Immigration, customs, security...)? Can I get boarding passes for the BA flights before departing PHL?

2. I have about a 90 minute connection at LHR. I've read here about a separate process/gates for LHR flights from DUB. What are the steps?

3. For all the US connections, immigration, etc. I'm good.

4. Flying the last PHL-DUB leg in Biz class. I'm flying the same airplane back DUB-PHL about 2.5 hours later. I assume I need to go through C&I to enter Ireland and then back into the airport to go through C&I pre-clearance for the DUB-PHL flight correct? Any trick or tips for this part since the timing seems a bit tight?

Cheers!
Old Feb 24, 2016, 12:49 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold
On my phone at the moment so not a full response. Answers to many of your questions can be found in the dashboard at the top of the forum. This includes guides on connecting at T5 LHR as well as information on DUB.

For boarding passes why not use the BA app?
Old Feb 24, 2016, 1:00 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by madfish
On my phone at the moment so not a full response. Answers to many of your questions can be found in the dashboard at the top of the forum. This includes guides on connecting at T5 LHR as well as information on DUB.

For boarding passes why not use the BA app?
Thanks. I found the DUB flights at LHR info. I had already looked at the (massive) ExDUB thread and couldn't find particulars about my situation.

For the boarding passes I always prefer paper if possible.
Old Feb 24, 2016, 1:01 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
I'm assuming here you hold a passport from either the USA or Canada.

1a) You get into DUB Terminal 2 and there is a very easy transfer route to T1 (it's actually the same building really) with dedicated passports and then a dedicated security check. No customs to speak off. If you are quick off the aircraft you should be in the DAA T1 lounge - to which you have admission rights - within 30 minutes or less of arrival. So bring a good book! It's above the main T1 security checkpoint. See this forum's Dashboard for a logistics guide to Dublin for a lot more information.

1b) You can and should get the BA boarding passes via BA.com or via the App before travel, so that's easy. There is a BA presence in PHL (check-in and lounge) where they may be able to assist if necessary, but the online route usually works fine, particularly if HBO. I'd suggest printing it out from BA.com to avoid worrying about roaming charges, though in fact BA's boarding passes can be downloaded and retained offline. I do NOT recommend leaving it any later than necessary, always check in and get the boarding passes 24 hours before departure. By all means replace them with cards later on.

2) You should not go Flight Connections, despite signs, video and any staff guidance. Just go landside to T5 main security South or North Fast Track. North is quicker, but further away. If you are late, however, and your onward flight is less than 45 minutes off, then go Flight Connections - this is because Flight Connections can have a shorter cut off point for making connections. If you have more than an hour you would be mad to go via Flight Connections. There is no passport check between Ireland and the UK, customs is a non event and there is security, however you do it. A lot more information on this in the Dashboard's guide to Flight Connections in T5. I would assume you will be departing from T5C if you're on the A380 service, you may have time for a quick coffee in the T5B lounge, or Starbucks at your own expense in T5C.

4) This is actually a slight different procedure to point 1 since you're staying in T2 and there is pre-clearance. Basically follow the signs around to USA pre-clearance after arrival. You will then have a lightweight USA style security check and then USA passport entry check. I could spend a long time explaining the customs regulations, but basically don't take duty frees and you can ignore that aspect altogether. This only works due to you being hand baggage only. You have plenty of time, even if the inbound is late then so will the outbound.

I hope you have a good trip and you tell us your impressions afterwards.
Old Feb 24, 2016, 1:07 am

Programs: AA Plat, various hotels
Your timings all look pretty good to me.

4 hour connection at Dublin is ample, immigration and security are normally good at Dublin, you will be changing from T2 to T1 but thats an easy walk.

Bear in mind once you preclear at Dublin, there is very little after preclearance other than the gates and a coffee shop, no lounges etc.

As Madfish said the guides are full of comprehensive and well put together information which will answer all your queries
Old Feb 24, 2016, 1:18 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
I'm assuming here you hold a passport from either the USA or Canada.
US Passport.

1a) You get into DUB Terminal 2 and there is a very easy transfer route to T1 (iIt's actually the same building really) with dedicated passports and then a dedicated security check.
I assume the transfer route to T1 is signed differently than that for pax headed into Ireland.

1b) You can and should get the BA boarding passes via BA.com or via the App before travel, so that's easy.
I'll be HBO and will print the passes at home prior to the first PHL-DUB flight.

2) You should not go Flight Connections, despite signs, video and any staff guidance. Just go landside to T5 main security South or North Fast Track. North is quicker, but further away. If you are late, however, and your onward flight is less than 45 minutes off, then go Flight Connections - this is because Flight Connections can have a shorter cut off point for making connections.
Thanks for the insider info.

4) This is actually a slight different procedure to point 1 since you're staying in T2 and there is pre-clearance. Basically follow the signs around to USA pre-clearance after arrival. You will then have a lightweight USA style security check and then USA passport entry check. I could spend a long time explaining the customs regulations, but basically don't take duty frees and you can ignore that aspect altogether. This only works due to you being hand baggage only. You have plenty of time, even if the inbound is late then so will the outbound.
I won't be purchasing duty free for most of the journey, but is it an option prior to the final DUB-PHL flight? Also, since the DUB T2 lounge is landside will I have time for a visit?

I hope you have a good trip and you tell us your impressions afterwards.
I will.
Old Feb 24, 2016, 1:49 am

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold & GGL & CCR, HH Diam, Bonvoy Titanium, IHG Spire, Tastecard
sounds like a fun trip - enjoy!
Old Feb 24, 2016, 2:29 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by StarlightSusan
I assume the transfer route to T1 is signed differently than that for pax headed into Ireland.
Yes, it's signposted Naisc Eitilte / Flight Connections, with the Irish in green letters, English is white letters on brown/grey. Just make sure you heading for the T1 channel, which involves going leftwards when you get to the end of the corridor (and it starts looking complicated, which it isn't really). The T2 route is also right by there to give you a sneak preview of your next visit.

I won't be purchasing duty free for most of the journey, but is it an option prior to the final DUB-PHL flight? Also, since the DUB T2 lounge is landside will I have time for a visit?
Yes you can. I think duty free gets complicated given the route you are on. If you go down towards pre-clearance I'm not sure you can double back to the duty free shops, though I can't see anything that would stop you. You're also supposed to be at pre-clearance 2 hours before, which is admittedly overkill. I wouldn't try too hard on either account, for duty free there is a cut-off when the shop won't accept your purchase for the flight; there again there is nothing after pre-clearance other than a caf or two.
Old Feb 24, 2016, 3:47 am

Programs: VS Silver, EK Gold, BA GGL/CCR
The T2 lounges are airside (as are all lounges in Ireland). It's situated after security but before the US pre-clearance, just one level below the main duty free area.

Given your routing I think DUB (just prior to your return PHL flight) is the best location for duty free purchases. The Euro is quite weak against the USD and the selection in the duty free in DUB T2 is very good (certainly when compared to any US based duty free outlet).

It might be worth having a look at the lounge meet-up thread. You'll be able to use the GF lounge in LHR but given you're travelling from the US to do a quick trip back to HNL there are plenty of like minded people in the CCR to swap stories with! If your dates match up I'm sure you'll get an invite given that itinerary.

Yes you can. I think duty free gets complicated given the route you are on. If you go down towards pre-clearance I'm not sure you can double back to the duty free shops, though I can't see anything that would stop you. You're also supposed to be at pre-clearance 2 hours before, which is admittedly overkill. I wouldn't try too hard on either account, for duty free there is a cut-off when the shop won't accept your purchase for the flight; there again there is nothing after pre-clearance other than a caf or two.
I'm not sure the duty free cut-off issue is relevant for DUB? I know in the US the duty free is delivered to the gate but in DUB you just take it with you from the shop when you purchase it?

Even though DUB is my home airport the fact that it's you CWS I'm now actually doubting myself!
Old Feb 24, 2016, 4:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
As C-W-S noted, they really like you to go through Pre-Clearance early, leaving you in limbo on the other side [as that photo shows].
Originally Posted by T8191
... we were given another piece of paper telling us that “US Pre-Clearance (USPC) can be heavily congested during this peak season” and that we should “present ourselves to USPC a minimum of 2 hours before boarding time which is 50 minutes before departure.”.
Three hours before ETD? I have to believe it can be an issue at certain times, but on the 2 occasions we've done DUB-USA [CLT and PHL] we've been sat at the Gate for over an hour before boarding started.

DUB Gate 404, waiting for AA723 to PHL ... there's a bit more info in Day 2 of my recent TR here
Attached Images  

Last edited by T8191; Feb 24, 2016 at 4:29 am
Old Feb 24, 2016, 5:15 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Aztec_Flyer
The T2 lounges are airside (as are all lounges in Ireland). It's situated after security but before the US pre-clearance, just one level below the main duty free area.
Is the T2 lounge the Gold Circle Lounge listed in the lounge data base? I ask because that lounge doesn't appear on the OW lounge finder. Also, I assume the Green and Blue circles on the lounge data base indicate OWE and OWS access?

Originally Posted by Aztec_Flyer
It might be worth having a look at the lounge meet-up thread. You'll be able to use the GF lounge in LHR but given you're travelling from the US to do a quick trip back to HNL there are plenty of like minded people in the CCR to swap stories with! If your dates match up I'm sure you'll get an invite given that itinerary.
Since I have a relatively tight turnaround, plus pre-clearance, plus wanting to do some duty free shopping, I don't know that I'll make it to the lounge.

Originally Posted by T8191
As C-W-S noted, they really like you to go through Pre-Clearance early, leaving you in limbo on the other side [as that photo shows]. Three hours before ETD? I have to believe it can be an issue at certain times, but on the 2 occasions we've done DUB-USA [CLT and PHL] we've been sat at the Gate for over an hour before boarding started.
I'll aim to go through pre-clearance about 90 minutes prior to scheduled departure.
Old Feb 24, 2016, 5:46 am

Is the T2 lounge the Gold Circle Lounge listed in the lounge data base? I ask because that lounge doesn't appear on the OW lounge finder. Also, I assume the Green and Blue circles on the lounge data base indicate OWE and OWS access?
It's a bit confusing, our lounge database refers to the BA flights from T1, the lounge is run by the airport authority, the DAA. The DAA also has a lounge in T2, quite similar, but in the OW lounge finder they seem to have been combined into one entry (well, I think it's confusing). T2 is right by the start of the 400 gates corridor, T1 is above main security. In terms of offering it's similar to the BA T1 lounge/the Dashboard. The Gold Circle lounges can't be used in this context. And yes you are right about the circles. Your business class ticket gives you entry anyway.

I'll aim to go through pre-clearance about 90 minutes prior to scheduled departure.
No sooner, I suggest. Despite the dire warnings, 60 minutes would be fine unless you see a lot of families going through (i.e. school holidays). They do start boarding 40 minutes or so before departure, normally.

The reference to the duty frees above: because of pre-clearance I was under the impression that duty free are taken to the gate, but I'm wondering if I'm getting confused with Vancouver or Nassau.
Old Feb 24, 2016, 10:38 am
Original Poster

It's a bit confusing, our lounge database refers to the BA flights from T1, the lounge is run by the airport authority, the DAA. The DAA also has a lounge in T2, quite similar, but in the OW lounge finder they seem to have been combined into one entry (well, I think it's confusing). T2 is right by the start of the 400 gates corridor, T1 is above main security. In terms of offering it's similar to the BA T1 lounge/the Dashboard. The Gold Circle lounges can't be used in this context. And yes you are right about the circles. Your business class ticket gives you entry anyway.
Does it matter that my DUB-PHL ticket is in coach, even as a OWS?

No sooner, I suggest. Despite the dire warnings, 60 minutes would be fine unless you see a lot of families going through (i.e. school holidays). They do start boarding 40 minutes or so before departure, normally.
OK, I'll aim for 60 minutes. Maybe I'll make it to the lounge after all.
Old Feb 24, 2016, 10:47 am

Programs: VS Silver, EK Gold, BA GGL/CCR
No it doesn't, you'll have access to the DAA lounge in T2 (immediately below duty free just before the 400 gates).
Old Feb 24, 2016, 11:16 am

Ah, I see. I'm kind of struggling with entire concept of a mileage run in Y. Shows how strange things are in this forum!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.