Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Best and worst meal you've had on BA

Search this Thread

Old Feb 18, 2016, 11:25 pm
Original Poster

Best and worst meal you've had on BA

I might come back and change this later on but these are the two I can currently remember and that stick out.

Best: I'll never forget this Fish Pie I had coming back from NRT of all places in F, circa 2012. They'd run out of bacon rolls, which I had fancied quite a bit so the CSM (or whoever it was) suggested Fish Pie. Not really a fish pie lover and skeptical out of Japan but my goodness this was nothing short of heavenly. Creamy, lumps of delicious fish- it's just stuck in my memory.

Worst: I probably should have known better than to order the 3rd (generally pasta) dish ex USA in J. This was circa 2013 and I had a mushroom risotto out of EWR I believe it was, although could have been IAD. It was absolutely revolting. Simply could not believe such a travesty was being served in a business class cabin. Total mush, tasteless and looked like sick.

What's yours?
Old Feb 19, 2016, 12:39 am

Programs: CA Gold, EY Silver HHons Diamond
Best meal was probably the chicken salad in CE from CDG. CC were great and proactive with Champagne refills, and I was most impressed how they seemed achieve more in 30 mins than many long haul crews do in 10 hours (in my experience )

Worst would have to be some Prawn Tempura in Sweet and Sour Sauce concoction I had a few years back out of PEK. Looked like orange frogspawn and it recoiled when I stuck my fork in. On reflection it probably was frogspawn.

Most bizarre meal experience was when the CC came down the aisle distributing steaks from a single plate as you would do a hot towel.
Old Feb 19, 2016, 1:23 am

Programs: MUCCI; BAEC Lifetime Gold; Marriott Bonvoy Emeritus Titanium; Hertz#1, Avis President’s Club
In 1997 LHR:YYZ. I was upgraded to CW and was served some marvelous lamb chops. The FA serving me noticed how much I enjoyed them and gave me a second portion! The most unusual meal was also in the 90's in F, guinea fowl with blackcurrant sauce. Best dessert by far was a grilled pineapple tart also in F. The worse - numerous steaks in F which had the only benefit of being a source of Air Miles/Avios as compensation.
Old Feb 19, 2016, 1:29 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
I remember that fish pie and I totally agree with you. It was a great meal, perfect for flying and relatively difficult to mess up. If we make allowances for context then the domestic breakfast - whilst winning no epicurean prizes - is impressive when they bang out 250 of them on a 50 minute 767 flight to Glasgow. On AA that would often be a no-service-at-all sector, even in First. A large proportion of the Club Europe meals are great, I remember a cod on minted pea mash - and again better than AA's domestic equivalents which lack variety and flavour, or even content after 20:30 hrs.

The ET fish and chips trial didn't really work, too soggy. The CE cold prawn salad I now avoid, though more out of boredom. The sliced cold chicken variant is OK however. And of course the longhaul beef puck is justifiably infamous.
Old Feb 19, 2016, 1:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GMLFL, Life 2.0 - Mucci Premiere Classe & des Chevaliers Toulousiens
I know it doesn't look like much, but till this day I remember this excellent, succulent and most tasty chicken dish I ever ate... It was in F from LHR to EZE in 2008...

Another chicken dish I also remember. It was undercooked and full of gooey pulp that also smelt bad. Club World ex DXB, also in 2008. I had others but this one was close in the picture search.

Old Feb 19, 2016, 1:39 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, A3 Gold
Food (and drink) is a matter of taste and opinion, not to mention state of health. This thread is interesting, but of no particular consequence to me. I never fly because of the food. Not even when I was in the military "Food" is a perk!

Obviously everyone's mileage varies..... In spite of that, I am looking on flying WT+ DOH-YYZ in June and August. Stopping over on the way back and going to France will certainly make up for any potential food issues while flying . Needless to say, the beer selection in London and the wine selections in France will be superb.

OTOH, alcohol selection here in Doha is not as robust as in Europe, but I make do - and am quite happy with what I have After all, choice is a benefit of being a 1st world person.
Old Feb 19, 2016, 1:41 am

Worse was a shepheard's pie with little meat and lumpy mash (F).

Best was a butternut squash soup (also F).
Old Feb 19, 2016, 1:46 am

Programs: Iron Maiden FC, GE, Rapidly falling down the Tiers to oblivion.
Curiously my favourites are fish dishes too, and i rarely seek out fish over a steak on the ground! The seam breem with coconut and ginger involved i had the other night in j was delicious, as was a fish with i think a curry sauce of some kind coming back from gcm one time, just perfect and light for flying.

I haven't really had a dish i disliked, my choices always seemed to have worked for me on ba, i guess the menu is generally always quite safe where i fly, always TATL. (although an undercooked - to me- duck breast on aa did sit very heavily as did a raw steak, not rare, raw, but that is ot, never a problem on ba for me!)..
Old Feb 19, 2016, 1:48 am

My best was in my first First a few years back - lobster thermidor. It was beautiful. Helped I think that my overall first F experience was superb.

Worst was my last F flight, the 'English' breakfast on a KUL-LHR flight. Really not very good in terms of quality for an F flight, the scrambled egg was poor, and I still don't understand how a 'full English' can be served without any pork products. If it's the case that it's simply impossible to get pork out of KUL at all (I'd be surprised at that for an international hub airport) then serve something else!

Overall though, I have to say, I struggle to think of any other real misses on the food front. I personally think BA aren't that bad (on LH), across all four cabins, all things considered.
Old Feb 19, 2016, 2:02 am

Programs: BA Gold
Favourite: a veal dish I ate in F on the way back to LHR from SIN (September 2009). The veal was still pink and moist. Although, I had a wonderful monkfish on the way to PHX (also in F).

Worst: Some beef dish in a special meal that I ordered which contained a few maggots! It was a on flight to PHX but this time in Y. The crew were extremely apologetic. For all I know it could have been a good meal without the maggots.

H
Old Feb 19, 2016, 2:04 am

Programs: I go wherever the content takes me.
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
If we make allowances for context then the domestic breakfast - whilst winning no epicurean prizes - is impressive when they bang out 250 of them on a 50 minute 767 flight to Glasgow. On AA that would often be a no-service-at-all sector, even in First. A large proportion of the Club Europe meals are great, I remember a cod on minted pea mash - and again better than AA's domestic equivalents which lack variety and flavour, or even content after 20:30 hrs.
Agreed.

My favourite meal was on a recent F trip to SFO; the second hot meal was a duck breast that was restaurant standard. How they managed to do duck like that on an aircraft I don't know; excellent.

There was a beef teriyaki noodle dish going around the MLA route last year in Club, which is the best Club meal I've had.

The worst meal was an inedible curry out of SOF, which came with bread which was mostly air for good measure, and a fruit tart that was mostly liquid. I sent it back, and that's the only time I've ever had to do that.
Old Feb 19, 2016, 12:39 pm

Worst:

London to Luxembourg: Cream cheese croissant with bacon.

I had a stomach ache and felt sick.

Best

London to New York

Curry.
Old Feb 19, 2016, 12:57 pm

Programs: BA GGL
Best: Sole meunière LHR-JFK in October '15. Would have paid £30 for it in a restaurant. Massive portion, buttery and delicious. Close runner up would be a salmon and soft shell crab dish from LHR-MIA in 2012. Both in F.

Worst: Sadly, too many to pick one, though a DXB-LHR breakfast stands out for the piece of steak that was maybe 50 grams. Had a good laugh about it with the FA.
Old Feb 19, 2016, 1:14 pm

Programs: AS; BA Silver; UA; HH Gold; Sprüngli Connaisseur
Best: Grilled cod with chili sauce back in Nov in F. Quite amazing. I'd have been happy to have had it in a restaurant. And quite nice with the LPGS.

Worst: Countless times with inedible afternoon tea sandwiches slathered in mayonnaise.
Old Feb 19, 2016, 1:30 pm

Programs: BA Gold for Life
Favourite a lobster thermidor out of Nairobi in 1997. It was a special not on the menu. OT, I was in the cockpit (pre 9/11) for take off as the captain was in the next room on my safari and we had got on well.

Worst, a dire bacon roll for breakfast in CW a couple of years ago.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.