Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Where is the Heathrow Concorde?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 11, 2016, 7:37 pm

It's been in various parking spots at LHR ever since they were grounded, many years.
Old Oct 11, 2016, 11:41 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold
Some information here

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...-concorde.html

Last edited by NWIFlyer; Oct 12, 2016 at 12:20 am Reason: Strikethrough circular link following thread merge
Old Oct 12, 2016, 1:22 am

Programs: Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Gold, BA Silver, Hertz President's Club
Old Oct 12, 2016, 1:33 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
I took this photo 10 days ago, just before awaiting clearance to depart on a less interesting aircraft.
Attached Images  
Old Oct 12, 2016, 2:02 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond
How much of it is still active? I know it can't fly but have BA kept any of the systems in semi-working order?

On another positive note, the Concorde at Filton will have an undercover home soon..
Old Oct 12, 2016, 3:04 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
I took this photo 10 days ago, just before awaiting clearance to depart on a less interesting aircraft.
Is it just me, it does it look like it is floating here?
Old Oct 12, 2016, 3:07 am

Programs: BAEC
It's supposedly filled with piles of old Highlife magazines, to weight the old girl down in winds etc - as there is no longer any fluid within the aircraft (e.g Oil or Fuel).

I also understand that much of the aircraft was stripped out and used for spares.
Old Apr 20, 2017, 4:38 am
Community Director

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by Schwann
On another positive note, the Concorde at Filton will have an undercover home soon..
The BBC is reporting that the protective wrapping around the Bristol Concorde which was present during building and painting works in the museum has now been removed in readiness for opening in August 2017:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-bristol-39645895
Old Apr 20, 2017, 4:59 am

Programs: BA Silver
Silly question, but why is there still a Concorde at Heathrow?
I would have thought there was great pressure for space at LHR - and that the space taken up by Concorde could be used for other more pressing operational needs.
Old Apr 20, 2017, 5:05 am

Originally Posted by tom00
I would have thought there was great pressure for space at LHR - and that the space taken up by Concorde could be used for other more pressing operational needs.
That's something I wondered too, when I went past her a few weeks ago. It would be lovely if there were an aviation museum attached to LHR (like the KLM aircraft on the roof of AMS, but bigger), and Concorde would be a star exhibit. But I am 100% sure that space and commercial considerations would preclude this happening, which is a shame.
Old Apr 20, 2017, 5:56 am

Programs: BA Gold, LH Sen, MUCCI, Junior Jet Club.
It is too expensive to move. BA can't scrap it, imagine the outrage. I don't think where it stands at the moment is used for anything - or ever will be.

So it remains forever as an example of the days when BA was a world class airline (if not "the" world class airline.)
Old Apr 20, 2017, 6:04 am
Community Director

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by BahrainLad
It is too expensive to move. BA can't scrap it, imagine the outrage. I don't think where it stands at the moment is used for anything - or ever will be.

So it remains forever as an example of the days when BA was a world class airline (if not "the" world class airline.)
There's a lot in this - there's no question Concorde retains an image (mirage, perhaps) of prestige, not just with regular travellers but the public as a whole. There really can't be anyone who's ever flown who hasn't heard of Concorde, and the fact that every remaining one is treated almost reverentially is proof of that.

That's good for BA, because it means people continue to associate them with that level of innovation and service (however true or otherwise the actuality is). It's probably also good for Heathrow who have that association with a perceived premium aspect of air travel. You can kid some of the people all of the time ...
Old Apr 20, 2017, 6:24 am

Programs: BAEC Blue, Flying Blue Silver, Hilton Gold, Marriot Gold
It almost went to dubai a few years back but It got decided against, again because of the outcry. Other plans was to put concorde inside T5 but I believe it came down to cost and Ba didn't want to display something from the past in there home terminal. Something they could no longer do. A more recent plan was to display the aircraft near the london eye.

It never got the post crash mods so this aircraft G-BOAB hasn't flown since July 2000. It couldn't fly away from Heathrow like the other aircraft. G-BOAA also never had post crash mods so got shipped up to East Fortune, Scotland. Would of been silly to have two concordes at Heathrow. G-BOAB was supposed to have been modified but then retirement was announced, it probably would of flown away to a museum if it could have and G-BOAA would have remained at Heathrow as this would never have been modified and used for spares.
Old Apr 20, 2017, 6:34 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
It's currently on BA leased land, not HAL land, and from what I remember that area was never used for much more than ground equipment storage.
Old Apr 20, 2017, 2:28 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Melia Gold, Shangri-La Jade, BA Amex PP, Iberia+, Nandos Card
Originally Posted by Heathrow Tower
It's currently on BA leased land, not HAL land, and from what I remember that area was never used for much more than ground equipment storage.
Plus it's not like it's taking up a slot or a bus stand

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.