Belfast Do 2016

Hide Wikipost
Old Sep 8, 16, 8:55 pm   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: Silk Cut
Wiki Link
Belfast Do - Saturday 10th September 2016
I'm sure that MickV's busy, so as I've just booked my flight I thought I'd take the initiative and start the wiki . He's given some ideas of places to stay and transport here.

Robinson and Cleaver (http://www.robinsonandcleaver.com/) - meet at 6pm
Booking of 20 people inside. We can move outside to the terrace if the weather is nice. Location map here - it is on the north side of city hall.

Interested in a city tour - Calchas, hcuk94, Nufnuf77, GadgetGal, KARFA
Confirmed for R&C - MickV, LondonAndy, KARFA,GadgetGal, Calchas, hcuk94 ,tomparskate, noniron, MsCapricorn, Sealink, haasha, catharsis

Maybe onto the Duke of York after?

Attending

MickV
KARFA
LondonAndy
Paul4040
rxfleming
Sealink
Tobias-UK + Lady Tobias
noniron
nufnuf77
Calchas
Tomparskate
haasha
catharsis
MsCapricorn
GadgetGal
hcuk94

Possible
bd95
flatlander
JamieABZ
PETER01
ratechaser
srbrenna + Mrs srbrenna
thejohn

Flights

Friday 9 September - flight arrival time shown
BA1426 21:15 (LHR - BHD): LondonAndy, haasha, Calchas

Saturday 10 September- flight arrival time shown
BE121 07:45 (GLA - BHD): hcuk94
EZY603 08:15 (LPL - BFS): Tobias-UK, The Lady Tobias
BE730 08:20 (LBA - BHD): KARFA
BA1424 08:35 (LHR - BHD): Sealink, GadgetGal
BE362 08:45 (EMA - BHD): nufnuf77
BE125 12.05 (GLA - BHD): MsCapricorn
EZY486 16:15 ( EDI-BFS) : tomparskate

Sunday 11 September - flight departure time shown
BA1415 13:25 (BHD - LHR): KARFA, Calchas, GadgetGal
BE1355 13:35 (BHD - LCY): hcuk94
EZY610 14:50 (BFS - LPL): Tobias-UK, The Lady Tobias
BE130 16:25 (BHD - GLA): MsCapricorn
BA1419 19:00 (BHD - LHR): LondonAndy; Sealink
BA1421 20:05 (BHD - LHR): haasha
EZY487 21:35 ( BFS- EDI) : tomparskate

Hotels

Premier Inn Cathedral Quarter:

The Merchant: In the heart of the Cathedral Quarter, probably Belfastís best hotel. Normally around £220 per night. Fabulous cocktail bar, again, probably the best in Belfast. Food is over-rated and can be poor. Walking: City Hall 5 minutes. Ivory 5 minutes. Duke of York 2 minutes.

The Hilton: FlyerTalkers in Residence: KARFA Standard Hilton fair. Location can be a bit dodgy a night but I have never had a problem. I always find it over priced money and points wise. 5 minutes to City Hall, 3 minutes to Ivory, 9 minutes or so to the Duke of York.

The Fitzwilliam: Relatively new hotel. Decent sized rooms with good atmosphere. Very central, beside the main bus station. 3 minute walk to City Hall, 5 minutes to Ivory, 9 minutes or so to the Duke of York.

The Europa: FlyerTalkers in Residence: Tobias-UK, The Lady Tobias, Sealink It is known as the "most bombed hotel in Europe" and the "most bombed hotel in the world" after having suffered 28 bomb attacks during the Troubles. It is fantastic. Slightly old, slightly small rooms but the place has it. Good staff, good bar, good transport links. 3 minute walk to City Hall, 5 minutes to Ivory, 9 minutes or so to the Duke of York.
lowcostholidays link

Park Inn: FlyerTalkers in Residence: Catharsis, hcuk94, GadgetGal Standard Park Inn for you Club Carlson fan boys. Hard to get a hotel any closer to City Hall. 1 minute walk to City Hall, 3 minutes to Ivory, 7 minutes or so to the Duke of York.

Ten Square: Beside city hall. Always packed with Early Saturday drinkers. Not for me.

Transport:
Belfast International (BFS): Served by Easyjet and Ryanair. It is named International because it is probably closer to the International Space Station than Belfast City Centre. Getting into Town will probably take 30 minutes by taxi (£35-£40) or 45-50 minutes by bus. I think the bus runs every 15 minutes or so and cost £7.50 one way, £10.50 return.

Belfast City (BHD): Served by BA, Flybe and Aer Lingus. Centrally located. 10 minutes by taxi roughly £15-£20. Bus about 20 minutes. Bus is also every fifteen minutes and the main bus station is beside the Europa Hotel.

Dublin Airport (DUB): £8 by bus pre booked online and will take 2 hours 15/30 minutes.

Things to do in Belfast:
http://visit-belfast.com has everything really. The only thing to be careful about is tours to the North coast can take hours and hours. I would recommend the Titanic centre and the Black taxi tour. The black taxi tour is fantastic and takes you through some of the real flash points in Belfast and give a great insight to the City, plus itís very funny.
Print Wikipost

Old Sep 14, 16, 6:31 am

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; SPG/Marriott Platinum Premier, Hilton Diamond
I'm embarrassed to say I completely missed this thread and the do, especially since Belfast is my home town.

I did suspect something was afoot since I was on the BA1415 from BHD to LHR at 1.25pm on the Sunday and there was a preponderance of Flyertalk discussion and few Flyertalk tags on bags all around me!

I was in 1C. Who was that in 1D with the fancy brown and white two tone brogues?

Gutted I missed it. Will surely be there for the next one!
Old Sep 14, 16, 6:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by MickV View Post
Many thanks to defacto host Karfa!!
It was a team effort really, those with local knowledge did most of the directing.
Old Sep 14, 16, 6:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by mccorry View Post
I'm embarrassed to say I completely missed this thread and the do, especially since Belfast is my home town.

I did suspect something was afoot since I was on the BA1415 from BHD to LHR at 1.25pm on the Sunday and there was a preponderance of Flyertalk discussion and few Flyertalk tags on bags all around me!

I was in 1C. Who was that in 1D with the fancy brown and white two tone brogues?

Aha, I though I saw a tag when we got to LHR. I was in 1A, nufnuf77 was in 1C, and 1F was Calchas. Apologies for not saying hello.
Old Sep 14, 16, 10:41 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Go Fish

1D would have been me, with Calchas in 1F and Karfa in 1A --> So all row 1 was flyertalk!!!
Old Sep 15, 16, 2:52 am

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; SPG/Marriott Platinum Premier, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by nufnuf77 View Post
1D would have been me, with Calchas in 1F and Karfa in 1A --> So all row 1 was flyertalk!!!
Well, it was great to meet you all--kind of!! ;-)
Old Sep 15, 16, 3:10 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Well, it was great to meet you all--kind of!! ;-)
I hope they behaved themselves
Old Sep 15, 16, 3:48 am

Location: In theory near BHD or ABZ, but usually a hotel in another country
Programs: Seniors Bus Pass, BA Silver
Originally Posted by nufnuf77 View Post
I hope you all signed the HighLife to play the "BAEC Travel Game"?

Sorry I could not get back, my schedule saw me arrive on Monday and just departing now.

Glad to see a BA do, we used to have good bmi do's, but they were obviously more "cultural" affairs. We always met up in a National Trust establishment - The Crown Liquor Saloon opposite The Europa 😀😀
Old Sep 15, 16, 5:31 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Gold, Mucci
Sounds and looked like another successful FT Do.