Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Spending a full day in JNB O.R. Tambo

Search this Thread

Old Dec 27, 2016, 4:40 pm

Programs: BA, Emirates.
I've stayed at the Protea and it was good (I do remember dirty windows!) I think there was a Gautrain station very close by to whisk you in to the terminal in no time, otherwise a taxi for a few rand.

I'd agree with Mec72 re Sandton.
Old Dec 27, 2016, 6:23 pm

Originally Posted by SkyTeam777
Do airlines let you check in and use printed boarding passes to access airside? or do you have to wait until three hours before departure for the ticket counter to open to get back airside?

I imagine the transit desks will be confused when I show up from LHR at 7am and ask for a new boarding pass for the evening service back. Or will there be someone there that can still print it at the transit counter?
There should be someone at the transit desks to issue you a BP. However that really is if you are staying in the airport.

Alternatively if you are leaving the airport you should be able to OLCI and use that instead.
Old Jan 20, 2017, 1:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Which lounge has better showers? SAA or Shongololo? Does SAA have a sleeping room? I know Shongololo doesn't.
Old Jan 20, 2017, 3:02 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Eurostar Carte Blanche
Is there not some ex-JNB tier point run that can be completed in a day?? :P
THEOBCMAN likes this.
Old Jan 23, 2017, 6:09 am

Programs: IHG Gold
Rent a car for the day and visit the SAA Museum at Rand airport? Or the Apartheid museum as suggested, or Gold Reef City if you'd prefer a theme park with roller coasters etc.

signol
Old Jan 23, 2017, 6:55 am

Programs: Lemonia. Best Greek ever.
I heartily agree with the idea of a taxi to the Apartheid museum. They have a big exhibition on Nelson on at the moment.
Old Jan 23, 2017, 9:10 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
OK, I'm going to ask but....

...have I missed something here? How come you are flying into JNB in the morning and leaving again the same night, but actually have nothing you need to do in JNB at all? I don't get how come you're even making this trip?
Old Jan 25, 2017, 1:38 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by ratypus
OK, I'm going to ask but....

...have I missed something here? How come you are flying into JNB in the morning and leaving again the same night, but actually have nothing you need to do in JNB at all? I don't get how come you're even making this trip?
I would guess that it is a tier point/mile run.
Old Jan 25, 2017, 7:24 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Sixt Platinum, HHons Diamond
Originally Posted by Filthy Monkey
and if you want to bring me a few bottles of Chocolate Block from the airport, that would be fine too
I import it into the UK if you need a source over here for that particular wine..............!
Old Jul 16, 2018, 3:19 pm

Programs: BAEC: Bronze; Marriott: Gold
Originally Posted by JumboJim
I recently had to spend the day at OR Tambo having arrived on the 55.

I booked a day room at the City Lodge hotel which is walking distance from the terminal for about £35. The room was clean, had a good shower and was perfect for a good sleep after the overnight flight.

When I woke up I headed off to Quills restaurant at the Intercontinental Hotel which is next door to the City Lodge for lunch.

The BA lounge opens at around 3.30pm / 4pm so you can then head back there.
Sorry to reopen such an old thread, but does anyone know how to book a Day Room at the City Lodge. I only seem able to find rates for overnight stays.
Old Jul 16, 2018, 3:52 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by bakera

Sorry to reopen such an old thread, but does anyone know how to book a Day Room at the City Lodge. I only seem able to find rates for overnight stays.
I e-mailed them over the weekend regarding day rates and they have been fairly responsive.
Old Jul 16, 2018, 5:43 pm

Originally Posted by simons1
... or even across to Pretoria where in a day you could easily do Union Buildings and Voortrekker Monument.
Indeed, it takes only about 40 mins from OR Tambo Airport to Pretoria by Gautrain (change at Marlboro).
Old Jul 16, 2018, 10:22 pm

Programs: GGL
I spent an entire day airside an JNB about 15 years ago (I think The Terminal starring Tom Hanks had just been released) after being denied entry to RSA. The sympathetic BA staff let me use the old lounge, although it, and the part of the terminal I had access to, were deserted for most of the day. In those communication-staved days of yore it was a strangely serene experience, although the deserted calmness was tinged with a dystopian post-apocalyptic Shining atmosphere. I whiled away some of the time reading a lounge copy of Nelson Mandela's Long Walk to Freedom.

I'd book a day room at Southern Sun.
Old Jan 28, 2019, 4:18 pm

Programs: Air: QR Silver. BA Silver Emirates, Hotels: CC Gold, IHG Spire AMB, Hilton Diamond.
Anyone know how long a car journey from the airport to Sandton would take starting about 15:30 ?
Am thinking of staying at the IC in Sandton.

I know there's the train which I could take (albeit with luggage) but I will be hiring a car for several days and its probably easier to collect it at the airport after I land than try to get them to deliver it or to return to the airport the following day to collect it.

Thoughts ?

Cheers.
Old Jan 28, 2019, 5:03 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by Sisyphus1carus
Anyone know how long a car journey from the airport to Sandton would take starting about 15:30 ?
JNB to Sandton is ballpark an hour when it is busy (before you intend to drive), if it rains and drivers crash it can take longer.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.