LHR connection. M&S Tea purchase options?

Old Jan 29, 2018, 8:26 am

Programs: BA Executive Club, Flying Blue, Miles & More, Virgin Atlantic Flying Club
Originally Posted by PHLGovFlyer
Interesting approach. We're headed to BRU so not likely to be any Visa issues. My past experiences with FastTrack in T3 and with First Wing security were very smooth/quick which is why I'm even considering the T3 border crossing. I also found the HEX to be quick and convenient minus the bit of walking which doesn't bother us (we're very fast walkers). I might just make the decision based on actual arrival time at the T3 gate.
Had you been here a few months ago you could have simply gone and stocked up at the Brussels branch of M&S, but sadly it is no more...
Old Jan 29, 2018, 9:09 am

Programs: UA *G, BA Silver
Originally Posted by salut0
One more suggestion: Upton is a good place to get good quality leaf tea in the USA
Loose Leaf Tea From Around The World - Upton Tea Imports -- but they don't have the malty-tasting kinds of BOP Assam which we like for our "standard" drinking tea (the Assams we tasted from their samplers were either too fancy or too insipid). Only the UK supermarket brands provide that... B-)
Upton Tea is indeed very good, but for a similar price and willing to ship to the USA try www.imperialteas.co.uk (a single, small shop on Steep Hill in Lincoln, UK with an owner who travels to the estates and chooses the teas he stocks personally). I have been buying tea from them for 25 years and importing it to the US for almost 20.

And for those recommending PGTips and Twinings, etc many of these are not the same when bought in the US as they would be if bought in the UK (they use cheaper tea - dust - since Americans don't even care to use boiling water in their tea . Sainsbury's Taste the Difference Assam tea bags are the best / cheapest we have found.
Old Jan 29, 2018, 9:14 am

Programs: MyWaitrose. MSWMC
I believe that much of the tea sold by M&S is produced by Ringtons, who will ship to the USA.
https://www.ringtons.co.uk/tea-c1
Old Jan 29, 2018, 9:24 am

Originally Posted by SeattleDavid
And for those recommending PGTips and Twinings, etc many of these are not the same when bought in the US as they would be if bought in the UK (they use cheaper tea - dust - since Americans don't even care to use boiling water in their tea
I can categorically assure you, they don't.
Old Jan 29, 2018, 9:26 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/CR; Hilton Diamond; Mucci des Puccis
Thanks again for the pics and directions.

I spoke with my mother and she's found an estate Assam tea that she likes and can get in NYC so the hunt for Assam is off. Still searching for the M&S English Breakfast for the wife though.

We just learned that friends will be renting a house in Brighton this May and we're contemplating flying over to join them for a few days which solves the M&S access (though it's quite a lot of flying for tea ).
There is at least one great tea shop in Brighton: https://bluebirdteaco.com/uk_en/blue...-brighton-shop plus the Mock Turtle Teashop which is a caf and highly recommended (just google it). M&S is just the gateway tea.
Old Jan 29, 2018, 10:33 am

Programs: BA bronze, Aeroplan peon
As a thought if you`re unable to make it landside at LHR, is see if there is an Indian grocery store when you`re home. I bought a brand called ``Tea India``, comes in a red and blue box and it tastes very close to M&S Extra Strong. The only place I can get it is to go out the neighbouhood where most people from India seem to live and there are a number of stores there that specialize only in goods from India.
Old Jan 29, 2018, 10:43 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by HuwieHex
I believe that much of the tea sold by M&S is produced by Ringtons, who will ship to the USA.
https://www.ringtons.co.uk/tea-c1
Good spot, and a good company with a long history in the Wansbeck and Newcastle areas. They thrived under the Temperance movement in the North of England. Somewhat off topic....
Old Jan 29, 2018, 10:57 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by SeattleDavid
Sainsbury's Taste the Difference Assam tea bags are the best / cheapest we have found.
The tea I keep in my desk drawer at work - makes a nice brew, and cheap enough that I'm not fussed when my co-workers tax them.
Old Dec 22, 2019, 11:21 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP MM, HHonors Lifetime Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Ti, UA Silver
Selection update please

Wife and I have a 8 hour connection at LHR next month, arriving T3 on CX and departing T5, and it's time (again) for more tea. She only wants the Extra Strong and the Decaf.

We're going to attempt to use the T3 lounges (CX, etc.) after we arrive in T3 by following the T3 connections route. I have an Admirals Club membership so hopefully they'll let us past the BP check and screening for the departures flow/lounges at T3.

After a bit of lounging we'll start the hunt for tea. Can someone please take a peek at the M&S stores in T5/T3 to see if the selection is the same as C-W-S posted above (Extra strong and Decaf only available in T3 and not in T5)? If we can get the Extra Strong and Decaf in T5 it would simplify things.
Old Dec 22, 2019, 12:09 pm

Programs: Mucci de Guardian des Celliers des Grands Crus 1e Class, plus BAEC.
We're going to attempt to use the T3 lounges (CX, etc.) after we arrive in T3 by following the T3 connections route. I have an Admirals Club membership so hopefully they'll let us past the BP check and screening for the departures flow/lounges at T3.
I dont think youll be allowed into T3 airside departures without a T3 boarding pass. Admirals Club membership is unlikely to sway the security staff. Happy to be corrected if wrong.
Old Dec 22, 2019, 12:31 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by krispy84
I dont think youll be allowed into T3 airside departures without a T3 boarding pass. Admirals Club membership is unlikely to sway the security staff. Happy to be corrected if wrong.
There wouldn't be a problem here, particularly with AA membership. So long as the OP is arriving off a flight then it would be fine. What would not work is going landside first, then trying to get back to T3.

I'll check the M&S shops after Christmas. They are currently stocked with seasonal goods so we probably need to get past the next week or so before normal service is resumed.
Old Dec 22, 2019, 5:04 pm

Programs: AA MM, AA EXP; OW Emerald, EK silver
As an ex-pat who lives on English tea, the only one tea that tastes good in the US (maybe it's the water) is the M&S Extra Strong. Haven't seen them in the T3 M&S. If the shops in T3/5 don't stock it you might be able to contact them on line and ask to get an order delivered to whatever terminal you want.

However, coming into the US there's no problem with customs - had a random search of my case last time and they were amused by the number of M&S tea bags I had in my carry on

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.