EK or BA

Old Feb 13, 2016, 1:35 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Tunnocks Tea Cake Platinum
EK or BA

I'm moving to Singapore and will be travelling to the UK back and forward every few weeks (I will also be doing local travel to Malaysia and Thailand but just on the local budget airlines).

My company policy probably means I will be flying EK business class as BA and SIA are too expensive.
My question is should i:

Fly EK and credit the TP'S to my BA account keeping my gold status.

Or

Get an EK account and start from the bottom and credit my miles to that ?
Old Feb 13, 2016, 1:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
You'll get avios and TPs (?) only if you book the EK flights with QF code - I don't know how easy to do that ex-SIN (and how the price compares with EK coded flights)
Old Feb 13, 2016, 1:44 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by WilcoRoger
You'll get avios and TPs (?) only if you book the EK flights with QF code - I don't know how easy to do that ex-SIN (and how the price compares with EK coded flights)
Yeah sorry I should have made that clear. QF operated by EK
Old Feb 13, 2016, 1:49 pm

Programs: BA Silver (OWS)
It sounds like you won't be flying with any oneworld airlines, just EK J and low cost carriers? In which case, I'd credit to EK directly.
Old Feb 13, 2016, 1:53 pm

Programs: Asiana Club, Mileage Plan, Skywards, Flying Blue, HHonors
I would consider Alaska's FF product.

You wont get lounge access but you will rack uo the miles.

Just get a PP lounge access.
Old Feb 13, 2016, 1:58 pm

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by LHR FLYER
I'm moving to Singapore and will be travelling to the UK back and forward every few weeks (I will also be doing local travel to Malaysia and Thailand but just on the local budget airlines).

My company policy probably means I will be flying EK business class as BA and SIA are too expensive.
My question is should i:

Fly EK and credit the TP'S to my BA account keeping my gold status.

Or

Get an EK account and start from the bottom and credit my miles to that ?
Just by chance, are QR "in policy" for your company? Cracking airline and you get TPs and avios (for now).

And by the way, SIN-LHR-SIN every few weeks, poor you buddy, thats a killer.
Old Feb 13, 2016, 2:02 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by zeltergiset
It sounds like you won't be flying with any oneworld airlines, just EK J and low cost carriers? In which case, I'd credit to EK directly.
Exactly. I doubt I will be on OW anytime soon. Just feels like a waste of my status that I worked hard to get. Now I'm back to zero with EK
Old Feb 13, 2016, 2:04 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by capin
Just by chance, are QR "in policy" for your company? Cracking airline and you get TPs and avios (for now).

The policy isn't EK specific. It's just to find the cheapest business class seat available. A few of us do the route and it's usually EK that's much cheaper.
Old Feb 13, 2016, 2:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GMLFL, Life 2.0 - Mucci Premiere Classe & des Chevaliers Toulousiens
Assuming total travel time is an important factor as well, it seems like Finnair is actually a winner on this route.
Old Feb 13, 2016, 2:30 pm
Moderator: Qatar Airways

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher

QR to and from SIN, can be quite pricey.
Old Feb 13, 2016, 3:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If you are spending your time on EK metal, EK's programme is probably the way to go

There will be some exceptions for those chasing life time status or who often use another airline, but the airline will treat its own status pax best and its codeshare or alliance friends a distant second*.

* Exception for AF of course, which treats DL top tier better than AF Plats ...
Old Feb 15, 2016, 8:31 am

Programs: BA Gold, Priority Club Gold, Accor Silver, Virgin Australia Gold
QR?

[QUOTE=capin;26179935]Just by chance, are QR "in policy" for your company? Cracking airline and you get TPs and avios (for now).

Is there something here indicating that QR will not be eligible for tier and avios points in the future or have I mis read?

They are quite recent to OW ....
Old Feb 15, 2016, 8:38 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Originally Posted by nivsy

Is there something here indicating that QR will not be eligible for tier and avios points in the future or have I mis read?

The CEO has been making rumblings for a while. Google "Qatar leaving oneworld" for more but here is one as an example.

http://dohanews.co/ceo-qatar-airways...line-alliance/
Old Feb 15, 2016, 8:40 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Calchas
If you are spending your time on EK metal, EK's programme is probably the way to go

There will be some exceptions for those chasing life time status or who often use another airline, but the airline will treat its own status pax best and its codeshare or alliance friends a distant second*.

* Exception for AF of course, which treats DL top tier better than AF Plats ...
Is it worth asking for status match then? Has anyone had any success of this?
Old Feb 15, 2016, 8:41 am

Programs: BA Silver
[QUOTE=nivsy;26188149]

AAB is making noise about leaving one world. I think he's just trying to use it as leverage over AA but who knows? There's various stories over the web, for example -

http://onemileatatime.boardingarea.c...orld-alliance/

I for one would be gutted if QR left as I like flying them to Asia and picking up lots of TPs.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.