Avios cancellation policies

Old Feb 9, 16, 1:30 pm
Original Poster

Avios cancellation policies

Question...

If I booked a premium economy flight for 2 on JAL via Avios... and wanted to switch to business or first class if/when it opens up, are there any penalties?

If I booked a first class flight on AA via Avios, and wanted to switch to JAL premium economy/business/firstclass, are there any penalties?

And if I booked ANY flight - via Avios - would I be able to cancel the flight without penalties?

By "without penalties" I mean that I get all my Avios back, and incur no fees.

Cheers!
Old Feb 9, 16, 1:39 pm

Programs: Gold Mega Legend
Reward flight booking and service fees

Unless you are GGL, you cannot change or cancel without charge
Old Feb 9, 16, 1:40 pm

Programs: BA GGL (no longer CCR), Hertz PC, Hilton Diamond
All avios bookings are treated the same, regardless of class or operating airline.

They are fully flexible up until 24 hours before departure, after which they become completely inflexible.

There is a change or cancellation fee of £35 per person and per ticket (so £70 for two one-ways, £35 for a return).

If, however, taxes and fees are less than that, you only pay the taxes and charges. (Not sure what would happen if the taxes and charges were less and you changed).

So you could cancel and rebook from AA to JAL in your example and only pay taxes and fees or £35, whichever is less. You would get all your avios back to reuse.

Last edited by Cymro; Feb 9, 16 at 1:46 pm
Old Feb 9, 16, 1:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Cancellations or changes are £35 per person.
Old Feb 9, 16, 1:45 pm

How long would it take for the avios return to my account? I have two tickets booked from my account for my brother and me, 20K avios each, fees were $20.98 which I know I would lose, but I want to make sure 40K avios would go back to my account.
Old Feb 9, 16, 1:45 pm

Programs: BA GGL (no longer CCR), Hertz PC, Hilton Diamond
Should be instant, isn't always.

If they're not back after a few hours, and after logging out and logging back in, call up because they can get stuck.
Old Feb 9, 16, 2:23 pm
Original Poster

Thanks everyone. Also wanted to clarify - this would be a flight out of LAX.
Old Feb 9, 16, 3:40 pm

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold (GGL/CCR) A3 Gold VS Gold Emirates Gold Alitalia MMGold HH Diamond SPG Gold
Just to confirm a couple of points raised here from recent personal experience.
If you cancel an avios booking the refund of avios can take up to 10 working days it is not instant whereas with BA it's usually within a few hours.
if the fees paid were less than £35 per ticket they do not charge you the difference they just keep the fees paid as the cancellation charge

Search this Thread