LHR-BKK BA 772 refurbs

Old Feb 8, 16, 11:57 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Exec Club
LHR-BKK BA 772 refurbs

Hi guys

I'm flying to Bangkok from Heathrow next month on BA9 (772ER, 3 class), does anyone know if they've updated the WT+ cabin on this route yet?

Thanks!

Swerve
Old Feb 8, 16, 1:08 pm

Programs: BA GGL (no longer CCR), Hertz PC, Hilton Diamond
Nope. Not due for a couple of years even though it's looking very tired.
Old Feb 8, 16, 1:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, IHG Platinum Ambassador
The only announced change to the 772 fleet is the reconfiguration of the 12F G-YMM* aircraft to 3-class aircraft starting later this year. These aircraft will presumably be refurbished at the same time as their conversion from 4-class to 3-class.

This will leave the existing 3-class aircraft and four 14F G-VII* aircraft that will not have received the new WTP/WT products and Thales (or perhaps Panasonic) IFE throughout.

In short though, your 3-class BKK flight will be the old WTP cabin, with the old Rockwell Collins IFE.
Old Feb 8, 16, 1:35 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Swerve550 View Post
Hi guys
Welcome to Flyertalk Swerve550, welcome to the BA board. I think you've had your answer here, though I can perhaps flag up the very small chance of a late equipment change. Welcome to the forum nevertheless.
Old Feb 8, 16, 2:14 pm

Programs: The 4am BP pitstop club
Not that it's relevant but I'd like to see BKK go back to 4 class, probably not the demand but it's a long day flight.
Old Feb 8, 16, 3:16 pm

Programs: plenty - ggl, ccr, etc, etc.
Originally Posted by Calum View Post
Not that it's relevant but I'd like to see BKK go back to 4 class, probably not the demand but it's a long day flight.
Alas the issue is the level of demand at a price that makes a profit- which is the issue to Bangkok. As an alternative to BA the finnair business product is better to Asia ( better food, cleaner better cared for planes though Ife a bit weak on choice), but it is all personal choice and taste.

With more 777 going three class expect to see more routes like Bangkok with f removed.
Old Feb 8, 16, 3:45 pm

Programs: BA GGL (no longer CCR), Hertz PC, Hilton Diamond
BKK could fill an F cabin easily but there is so much competition, high fares are difficult to sustain.

It's a big leisure route and everyone flies there - like some kind of Heathrow on steroids, which means that LHR-XXX-BKK has almost limitless possibilities. RJ and UL even have fifth freedom flights, but if that's not good enough, what about Royal Brunei or Ukraine Airlines? Perfectly cromulent ways of getting to Bangkok!

Even on the non-stop you have Thai and Eva Air (both Star Alliance) and in OW, you have AY, QR, UL, AB (via Etihad), QF (via Emirates), RJ, CX...

The better hard product and slightly earlier departure with a short connection in HEL makes AY very attractive. Plus if you really want first, BA+CX is pretty good value - as is BA to KUL + MH J (with the latter on Avios).
Old Feb 8, 16, 6:11 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave View Post
Welcome to Flyertalk Swerve550, welcome to the BA board. I think you've had your answer here, though I can perhaps flag up the very small chance of a late equipment change. Welcome to the forum nevertheless.
Next to no chance of that giving the Thales IFE. The 777s flying to BKK need to have a crew rest area because of the length of the flight. All the 777-200ERs with crew rest have the old IFE and WT/+.
Old Feb 9, 16, 4:26 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Exec Club
Thanks for the replies guys, really helpful, and yes that's answered my question. The WT+ must be ancient on the 772s, I remember flying the same configuration over a decade ago.

So I'll be taking the iPad and pushing the 'Bubbles Button' on the plane!

Best
Swerve
Old Feb 9, 16, 4:50 am

Programs: BA-GGL, SU-G Agean, G,, Hhonours D, Starwood G, IHG G,
LHR-BKK BA 772 refurbs

I'm actually flying this route in March in CW.

I am used to 4 class 777's and have never been in a 3 class one. Is there much difference between them? I'm front cabin front row going and the mini cabin last row on way back

I only watch the moving map and a loaded iPad, but the Ms watches IFE.
Old Feb 9, 16, 5:53 am
Moderator: Qatar Airways

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, QR Insider, SQ Gold, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
As a regular on the BKK route, I have moved my business to QR for F travel.

Say what you want about demand etc, but there is a lot of F traffic heading to BKK, and none of it is on BA.

While the 'Saturday night stay' is an issue for business travellers like myself, there are plenty of well to-do leisure travellers on the route...especially LHR based travellers who fly through DOH to reach BKK just because they prefer an F cabin (two red-trouser couples on-board today).
Old Feb 9, 16, 6:09 am

Looks like my LHR-SFO in F in June is on a 777-200ER (12F) too, I'm guessing the F IFE in those hasn't had a refurb for a while either, poo.
Old Feb 9, 16, 6:52 am

Programs: The 4am BP pitstop club
Originally Posted by msm2000uk View Post
As a regular on the BKK route, I have moved my business to QR for F travel.

Say what you want about demand etc, but there is a lot of F traffic heading to BKK, and none of it is on BA.

While the 'Saturday night stay' is an issue for business travellers like myself, there are plenty of well to-do leisure travellers on the route...especially LHR based travellers who fly through DOH to reach BKK just because they prefer an F cabin (two red-trouser couples on-board today).
Only problem with QR now is the very good fares from AMS to BKK now have the 777, not the 787.
Old Feb 9, 16, 6:52 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by Behindthecurtain View Post
I'm actually flying this route in March in CW.

I am used to 4 class 777's and have never been in a 3 class one. Is there much difference between them? I'm front cabin front row going and the mini cabin last row on way back

I only watch the moving map and a loaded iPad, but the Ms watches IFE.
The mini cabin is more intimate. Only has 2 rows. I'd prefer to be sat there rather than the larger forward cabin.
Old Feb 9, 16, 9:08 am
Moderator: Qatar Airways

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, QR Insider, SQ Gold, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
Originally Posted by Calum View Post
Only problem with QR now is the very good fares from AMS to BKK now have the 777, not the 787.
A victim of its own popularity perhaps.

Search this Thread