Thanks for responding to a medical emergency

Old Feb 8, 16, 6:46 am
Original Poster

Programs: DC, BAEC
Thanks for responding to a medical emergency

A couple of hours into our first BA F redemption (honeymoon) the new Mrs Bmi-fan and I had just started dinner (me in the buddy seat) when an announcement requested any medical professionals on-board to make themselves known to crew.

Mrs Bmi-fan (being a GP) duly headed off down the back to assist with an unwell passenger. Obviously, the details are not for a public forum, suffice to say she was gone for about 40 minutes during which time her actions (and discussions with the BA medical team on the ground) ensured that the patient was quickly stabilised and made a sufficient recovery to avoid a divert.

She then returned for a delayed dinner (sans alcohol by choice in case she needed to assist once more) and the rest of the flight passed without incident. Upon arrival, CSD came down to personally her for her assistance and cabin crew gave her a bottle of bubbles from the galley as a token of thanks.

We joked that maybe they’d upgrade her to F from J on the way back (as if!) and then thought nothing more of it until she received a letter from BA Customer Relations a few weeks after our return. The fact that it was a typical boilerplate ‘thanks very much’ letter without much effort expended in either its creation or message made us wonder why they’d bothered to write at all?

I would like to make it clear we’re not out to milk the situation for all it’s worth but feel like BA would have been better off not writing to her at all instead of just running off a standard (couldn’t care less) letter?

Would be interesting to see what the good people of FT think…
Old Feb 8, 16, 6:48 am

Programs: BA Gold, AF Gold, IHG Spire Ambassador, Hilton Honors Diamond, Mucci de buveur de gin
Tend to agree. It wouldn't have taken BA much longer to pen a half decent response and not the bog standard "standard form" responses they seem to churn out.
Old Feb 8, 16, 6:51 am

Programs: BAEC Bronze
Originally Posted by Bmi-fan View Post
A couple of hours into our first BA F redemption (honeymoon) the new Mrs Bmi-fan and I had just started dinner (me in the buddy seat) when an announcement requested any medical professionals on-board to make themselves known to crew.

Mrs Bmi-fan (being a GP) duly headed off down the back to assist with an unwell passenger. Obviously, the details are not for a public forum, suffice to say she was gone for about 40 minutes during which time her actions (and discussions with the BA medical team on the ground) ensured that the patient was quickly stabilised and made a sufficient recovery to avoid a divert.

She then returned for a delayed dinner (sans alcohol by choice in case she needed to assist once more) and the rest of the flight passed without incident. Upon arrival, CSD came down to personally her for her assistance and cabin crew gave her a bottle of bubbles from the galley as a token of thanks.

We joked that maybe they’d upgrade her to F from J on the way back (as if!) and then thought nothing more of it until she received a letter from BA Customer Relations a few weeks after our return. The fact that it was a typical boilerplate ‘thanks very much’ letter without much effort expended in either its creation or message made us wonder why they’d bothered to write at all?

I would like to make it clear we’re not out to milk the situation for all it’s worth but feel like BA would have been better off not writing to her at all instead of just running off a standard (couldn’t care less) letter?

Would be interesting to see what the good people of FT think…
Perhaps, reading between the lines, you were a little disappointed that your wife wasn't given a future upgrade? It may have felt a little deflating opening the letter only to receive a thank you alone.
Old Feb 8, 16, 6:54 am

Programs: BAEC Bronze
Just a thought (and I haven't worked out an opinion myself yet), but who are the thanks due from?

The passenger, BA or both?
Old Feb 8, 16, 6:58 am

Programs: Star Alliance Gold (A3 Gold)
Originally Posted by Flexible preferences View Post
Perhaps, reading between the lines, you were a little disappointed that your wife wasn't given a future upgrade?
And how much would that cost them?

I'm sure that it didn't completely ruin the first First experience (especially on a honeymoon) but even so it must have put a bit of a dampers on it.

Without knowing what was in the letter it's hard to know if it was really worth the effort or not, but obviously it's come across as they've just gone through the motions. What a shame.
Old Feb 8, 16, 6:59 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Gold, Mucci
Perhaps, reading between the lines, you were a little disappointed that your wife wasn't given a future upgrade? It may have felt a little deflating opening the letter only to receive a thank you alone.
I didn't read it like that at all. Good on Mrs Bmi-fan helping and a nice touch with the bubbly and a personal thanks. I'm sure the patient was extremely grateful too there was a Dr onboard.

These type of incidents aren't that common and I agree it wouldn't have taken BA that much effort to perhaps make it a bit more personal.
Old Feb 8, 16, 6:59 am

Just a thought (and I haven't worked out an opinion myself yet), but who are the thanks due from?

Both? If OP's wife saved BA a diversion on a long-haul flight, she will have saved them at least five and possibly six figures. You would think she is owed their thanks.
Old Feb 8, 16, 7:01 am

Programs: BA Gold, Subcard
When the OPs partner possibly saved BA a lot of time/money/inconvenience assisting with the medical emergency I think its fair to say a canned response is quite a rude/lazy approach for BA to take.

Its fairly obvious that a personalised thank you from a senior customer service member would have been appreciated and should have been sent.

Anything above and beyond that should be treated as goodwill and should never be expected. I don't get the feeling the OP expected a free upgrade.
Old Feb 8, 16, 7:02 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Gold, Mucci
Originally Posted by cynicalmoose View Post
Both? If OP's wife saved BA a diversion on a long-haul flight, she will have saved them at least five and possibly six figures. You would think she is owed their thanks.
Very true. She didn't have to answer that call.
Old Feb 8, 16, 7:04 am

I don't think you need to try to read between the lines, just read across them!

The OP didn't really appreciate someone in the bowels of BA CS taking 10 seconds to press "CTRL+ALT+generate standard letter no17" as it really doesn't show the thanks that it purports to.

BA's CS is generally so cookie cutter and transparently auto generated it frequently achieves the opposite of what it intends.
Old Feb 8, 16, 7:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC/IB
If you're not happy tell her to send them a bill for the call out.
Old Feb 8, 16, 7:05 am
Original Poster

BA, the passenger was obviously extremely thankful (and somewhat embarrassed and being the centre of an on-board scene ).

I wasn't really expecting anything before reading the letter however the lack of effort made me wonder why they bothered. I guess my post is just a bit of a grumble really...

That, and they managed to misspell her name twice didn't help!
Old Feb 8, 16, 7:06 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by HIDDY View Post
If you're not happy tell her to send them a bill for the call out.
Very good!
It was out-of hours too
Old Feb 8, 16, 7:08 am

Programs: Star Alliance Gold (A3 Gold)
Originally Posted by Bmi-fan View Post
Very good!
It was out-of hours too
and a long way from home!
Old Feb 8, 16, 7:09 am

Oh dear - not sure how you could read the original post like that.

As others have pointed out, the intervention by Mrs Bmi probably saved BA tens of thousands £ and one would have thought that BA customer services could have sent a personalised letter in such a case.

Search this Thread