FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   Selecting seats on Cathay Business class (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1744615-selecting-seats-cathay-business-class.html)

Solidbond Feb 7, 2016 7:02 am

Selecting seats on Cathay Business class BA Booking

I hope someone here can help me. In September myself and my wife are travelling to Australia, with a stop in Hong Kong on the outbound. We then fly with Cathay to Melbourne. The problem is that I can't select a seat for my wife on the Cathay segment. All flights are in Business, and were booked via BA.com. I can bring up the details on Cathays website, but there is no option to select a seat. I've got seats on the Qantas segment (Brisbane to Sydney) and I can choose a preference (aisle or window) for each of us on the Cathay flight, but can't actually select the specific seats. I'm currently BA Silver, but will be Gold within 10 days, but don't know if that will make any difference.

Thanks for any help you can offer

libertyuk Feb 7, 2016 7:46 am

Phone Cathay, you should have no problem applying a selection by phone.

passy777 Feb 7, 2016 9:17 am

That's strange as I have an ex EU to BKK (booked last week on ba.com) via HKG and after entering the details on the CX website, I managed to reserve two seats in J.

I did notice however, that after reserving the seats, I got a message suggesting that I could not complete the request and I initially thought that my reservation had failed, however, after checking MMB on the BA website, both CX sectors are now showing the seats I selected as reserved.

Edit to add...

I have just checked my booking and the facility to reserve seats is still available.

[IMG]http://i714.photobucket.com/albums/w...Untitled_7.jpg[/IMG]

bluemoon68 Feb 7, 2016 9:29 am

I had no problem selecting seats online in CX J.

Solidbond Feb 7, 2016 10:52 am

Thanks for the replies, but I am unable to even select the particular flight as there is no button showing - I wonder if it is because it is showing the BA codeshare number, rather than the CX flight number. I've tried it on 3 different browsers, so it isn't a browser problem. On the BA website it doesn't even mention selecting seats on the CX or QF flights, but I can select the seat on QF on their website, just not the CX ones

Cymro Feb 7, 2016 11:38 am

Are you using the BA website or the CX website to select the seats?

I'd suggest going straight to CX.

If there is a separate CX record locator, it should be available from classic.checkmytrip.com

Note as well that CX sometimes mangles names, e.g., Mr FIRST MIDDLE LAST might have to check in as LAST FIRSTMIDDLE (possibly without a space).

Moomba Feb 7, 2016 11:59 am

You cannot assign seats on codeshare CX metal flights on CX.com. You will need to call BA and if they can't do it call CX.

Woody12354 Feb 7, 2016 12:05 pm

I booked a reward flight via BA on Cathay BC Saigon to Hong Kong.

On the Cathay Pacific website, I just used my BA booking reference plus my name and the booking came up, so I picked my chosen seats on the A330.

However last night I got an alert from "My Flights" app saying there was an equipment change to the A350 900 ( I think it's the new one) and when I went back to check my seat allocation it had gone along with the option to choose a seat.

I shall call Cathay up tomorrow to see what the issue is.

corporate-wage-slave Feb 7, 2016 12:26 pm

Originally Posted by Moomba (Post 26147656)
You cannot assign seats on codeshare CX metal flights on CX.com. You will need to call BA and if they can't do it call CX.

Yes, this indeed my experience too, you can't put 001 or 125 tickets into the MMB data either. But I just ring CX first up, not BA, make sure my BAEC number is in there first (since CX do keep some nice seats back) and then get seat selection done that way, ideally in conjunction with ExpertFlyer.

A P Yu Feb 7, 2016 8:21 pm

I used the royal Jordanian website I select seats on a CX operated BA codeshare KUL to HKG

AC*SE Feb 7, 2016 10:38 pm

The CX booking engine can be a little odd. With multiple passengers on a booking you need to select the passenger on the left, load that passenger's itinterary, and then proceed to seat selection, etc.

dodgeflyer Feb 8, 2016 5:09 am

I've found, in the past, that when the flight has been closed to fully booked (ie seats taken), the ability to select seat has disappeared. I can normally see 2-3 free seats left at EF at that stage but no ability to select seats.

NWIFlyer Feb 8, 2016 5:52 am

I have an ex-BGO itinerary with BA, CX & QF flights. One of the CX flights is on the BA codeshare.

When I first booked, I had one PNR common to all carriers. I was able to use that to select seats through the whole trip on the respective airlines' websites - including CX.

In the past few weeks, the BA codeshare flight has acquired its own CX booking reference. My Flights still shows the original PNR with seat allocations for all legs (including the codeshare one), whereas the new PNR also shows all the legs, but with a seat allocation solely on the codeshared CX flight (which is the same seat as on the original PNR).

I haven't tried to change seats since, and my inclination is not to touch the booking in case something goes wrong. If I need to do so, however, I'm assuming the new PNR is now more likely to work.

jwhite9185 Feb 8, 2016 5:55 am

Originally Posted by Woody12354 (Post 26147682)
I booked a reward flight via BA on Cathay BC Saigon to Hong Kong.

On the Cathay Pacific website, I just used my BA booking reference plus my name and the booking came up, so I picked my chosen seats on the A330.

However last night I got an alert from "My Flights" app saying there was an equipment change to the A350 900 ( I think it's the new one) and when I went back to check my seat allocation it had gone along with the option to choose a seat.

I shall call Cathay up tomorrow to see what the issue is.

Same for me - I was initially able to select my seats, but then there was an aircraft change and now it says I'm not able to make any more changes. Odd.

Lucky you for bagging the A350 though - you're right it is brand new. CX don't even have it in service yet.

Solidbond Feb 8, 2016 6:03 am

With thanks to A P Yu, I tried the Royal Jordanian website, and amazingly was able to book the seats! Still unable to even start to select on the CX site, or the BA site, but they are now showing on all bookings as selected, so many thanks again A P Yu:)