FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   Is this a connection? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1744005-connection.html)

weegraeme Feb 4, 2016 7:55 am

Is this a connection?

This isn't for a while yet, but I'm flying into LHR on BA6 from NRT at 1710. I'm flying to ABZ on BA1306 the following morning. This is all on the one PNR. Will I need to collect my bags between flights? I never gave that thought prior to making the booking.

I'll need to book overnight accommodation. I don't want anything super flash, as long as it's clean and tidy (although I'll be travelling with my mum who's 80). Any suggestions for where would be a good place to stay, considering that BA1306 departs at 0845.

Alan Smith Feb 4, 2016 7:59 am

Yes, you'll have to collect your bags.

I'd just stay at the Sofitel at T5, it's right there and using it will keep stress as low as possible, especially with that 0845 departure!

perthflyer Feb 4, 2016 8:03 am

Originally Posted by Alan Smith (Post 26131945)

That's incorrect. I recently had an overnight connection at LHR between GLA and ZRH and my bags were checked through at GLA to ZRH. No collection of checked baggage needed at LHR.

As for nearby hotels the Premier Inn T5 on Bath Road is quite nearby and there is a free public bus service from T5 that stops right outside it. The journey on the bus each way is only 5-10 minutes. Much cheaper than the Sofitel and I found it to be perfectly adequate for an overnight stay.

Virazuno Feb 4, 2016 8:06 am

Originally Posted by Alan Smith (Post 26131945)

Incorrect - the bags will be checked through, unless a short-check is requested (which might be declined).

KARFA Feb 4, 2016 8:07 am

Your choice on the bags. They can be stored overnight in the underground bag store at T5 so that you don't see them again until ABZ or you can just check them to LHR, pick them so you have them overnight, and then recheck the, in the morning. Entirely up to you, just tell the check in agent at NRT what you want.

KARFA Feb 4, 2016 8:08 am

Originally Posted by Virazuno (Post 26131984)
Incorrect - the bags will be checked through, unless a short-check is requested (which might be declined).

Short checking when the last leg is a UK domestic leg isn't an issue, especially for an overnight connection. This isn't an exEU.

msm2000uk Feb 4, 2016 8:13 am

Remember the Sofitel can usually be had for around £88 when booked through LastMinute (I believe).

PETER01 Feb 4, 2016 8:21 am

I'd second the suggestion for the Premier Inn T5 having stayed there quite a number of times.

As soon as you exit T5 the bus stops are right there so there is very minimal walking. The PI is very clean, modern and the bus (the 423 from stand 6) stops right outside the hotel.

In the morning you just have to cross the road from the main entrance to the bus stop there to take you back to T5. If you book it well in advance it can be had for a very good price, as low as about £39, depending on dates/holidays etc.

http://www.premierinn.com/gb/en/hote...erminal-5.html

There were good deals for the T5 Sofitel from £88 which is still good value considering it is attached to the Terminal itself. However, recent reports suggest it can come and go and it has been as low as £71.00!!

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...lhr-t5-13.html

weegraeme Feb 4, 2016 10:15 am

Is this a connection?

Thanks for your suggestions.

I hope they'll check it through. My journey is starting in BNE and I'll 

have the same issue in NRT. It's just that I'll have a better timeframe 

to work in there. I'll be travelling with my mum who's almost 80. If 

they don't check it through, I'll have to look after both our cases. 

I'll get a better workout than I could at any gym. :-)

I like the idea of the Sofitel. I realise from what has been posted 

here that Premiere Inn isn't far away. I don't know London / Heathrow 

at all. If I get on the wrong bus or do anything else wrong, I won't 

have much time up my sleeve to fix things up.

Thanks again for your help and suggestions.

scottishpoet Feb 4, 2016 10:18 am

they can check your bags through

my KRK - LHR flights land too late at the moment to make a connection to GLA so I have to overnight

At check in I am offered options to check the bags through or collect them in Heathrow.

personally, I like the holiday inn T5

recently refurbished, and there is a local bus service between the hotel and t5 (albiet once an hour) as well as the hotel hoppa option

callum9999 Feb 4, 2016 10:28 am

Originally Posted by weegraeme (Post 26132650)
Thanks for your suggestions.

I hope they'll check it through. My journey is starting in BNE and I'll.

have the same issue in NRT. It's just that I'll have a better timeframe.

to work in there. I'll be travelling with my mum who's almost 80. If.

they don't check it through, I'll have to look after both our cases..

I'll get a better workout than I could at any gym. :-)

I like the idea of the Sofitel. I realise from what has been posted.

here that Premiere Inn isn't far away. I don't know London / Heathrow.

at all. If I get on the wrong bus or do anything else wrong, I won't.

have much time up my sleeve to fix things up.

Thanks again for your help and suggestions.

It would be incredibly difficult to get on the wrong bus. You get on any bus that has 423 on the front in big numbers and go two stops (to Heathrow Park Thistle Hotel - the driver will tell you when to get off if you ask) to get to the Premier Inn, and on the way back the same bus in the opposite direction.

Depending on your mothers mobility, that might be a bit of a hassle trying to help her and carry 2 suitcases though!

Calum Feb 4, 2016 10:31 am

Originally Posted by msm2000uk (Post 26132014)
Remember the Sofitel can usually be had for around £88 when booked through LastMinute (I believe).

That deal ended awhile ago... It's up at £140...