FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   LCY fares (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1743282-lcy-fares.html)

TheOldMan Feb 1, 2016 4:31 am

LCY fares

I have an appointment in central London in March so looked at flying BA into LCY on a day return. Prices were a bit silly so I have booked Easyjet to Gatwick which includes an overnight at the Hilton and return the following day yet still cheaper than BA. No contest.

ENTP Feb 1, 2016 4:34 am

Supply and demand then!

musehead Feb 1, 2016 4:43 am

I live close (ish) to LCY but am not willing to pay the generally high cash fares compared to Gatwick or Heathrow. However, avios bookings from LCY seem to represent very good value.

goldencondor Feb 1, 2016 4:52 am

Originally Posted by TheOldMan (Post 26114161)
I have an appointment in central London in March so looked at flying BA into LCY on a day return. Prices were a bit silly so I have booked Easyjet to Gatwick which includes an overnight at the Hilton and return the following day yet still cheaper than BA. No contest.

LCY is handy if your reason for travel is in the immediate area (Canary Wharf etc). Otherwise, no. I find the prices too high.

There is the advantage of it being a smaller airport I suppose. Quicker security/less crowded.

rossmacd Feb 1, 2016 5:03 am

What was the difference in price, and route?

I use LCY frequently (admittedly, my employer pays), but if I have to be in that part of town, then LCY it is...irrespective of price. No way would I have an unnecessary night in a hotel if I can avoid it!

paul4040 Feb 1, 2016 5:14 am

Enjoy your flight. That's the market for you.

:confused:

Schiehallion Feb 1, 2016 5:19 am

My last flight down saw LCY add on about £180 vs. LHR / LGW, but it was the only way I could get to work for an early meeting. This justifies the price (and the demand). If it was personal travel I would have gone with the alternatives, but it's not my coin on this occasion (as per many of the LCY travellers).

That said, I do a lot of weekends up in Scotland booked weeks / months in advance. Quite often LCY is cheaper than the others, although you have to put up with the Friday evening scrum.

TheOldMan Feb 1, 2016 6:00 am

Originally Posted by rossmacd (Post 26114249)
What was the difference in price, and route?

I use LCY frequently (admittedly, my employer pays), but if I have to be in that part of town, then LCY it is...irrespective of price. No way would I have an unnecessary night in a hotel if I can avoid it!

The BA cost to LCY on the early morning flight, returning the same evening was £378 for two people. Easyjet return to LGW, train to Victoria & return plus Hilton Gatwick one night came to £250 for two of us. As this trip is for medical reasons and may have to be repeated over the course of the next few months we opted for the cheaper option.

Unfortunately I had just used up all my Avios on our next leisure flight so had none spare. :(