Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Best Way to Complain as a GGL?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 1, 2016, 6:42 am

Programs: BA Silver, AA Gold, A3 Gold, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by orbitmic
To be honest I also feel that referring to a hand on a shoulder as 'inappropriate' physical contact frankly quite radical. I have, unfortunately, had to help people who have been the victims of inappropriate physical contact and trust, a hand on a shoulder is sadly nowhere near what happened to them.
With all due respect, that's not for you to determine. You were neither there nor involved. If the OP feels it was inapproapriate, then it was inappropriate. Quite straightforward in my mind.

Would it bother me. Probably not. But I'm not the OP.
Old Feb 1, 2016, 6:46 am

Originally Posted by k_getchell
With all due respect, that's not for you to determine. You were neither there nor involved. If the OP feels it was inapproapriate, then it was inappropriate. Quite straightforward in my mind.

I was going to post something to this effect. OP asked how best to make a complaint, being a GGL. Not for opinions on whether it's a valid complaint. Only OP was there; only OP can make a judgement on whether to complain.
Old Feb 1, 2016, 6:51 am
Community Director

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by k_getchell

But the point is, it will be for BA to determine, and any exaggeration then becomes dangerous because the person determining it wasn't there either.

It could go one of two ways: either the OP will be viewed as too emotive because clearly the contact was not inappropriate in the sense that most people would view it in the Queen's English, and that will lessen the impact of the total complaint, or it will taken literally and be entirely believed in which case the CC will most likely be up for disciplinary proceedings up to and including dismissal for gross misconduct.

Now, would I really want to totally jeopardise a member of CC's career just because they put their hand on my shoulder? I can't help but feel a degree of proportion might be in order here.
Old Feb 1, 2016, 6:53 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Virazuno
I was going to post something to this effect. OP asked how best to make a complaint, being a GGL. Not for opinions on whether it's a valid complaint. Only OP was there; only OP can make a judgement on whether to complain.

I think he was just letting off steam more than anything else.
Old Feb 1, 2016, 6:54 am

Originally Posted by NWIFlyer
But the point is, it will be for BA to determine, and any exaggeration then becomes dangerous because the person determining it wasn't there either.

It could go one of two ways: either the OP will be viewed as too emotive because clearly the contact was not inappropriate in the sense that most people would view it in the Queen's English, and that will lessen the impact of the total complaint, or it will taken literally and be entirely believed in which case the CC will most likely be up for disciplinary proceedings up to and including dismissal for gross misconduct.

Now, would I really want to totally jeopardise a member of CC's career just because they put their hand on my shoulder? I can't help but feel a degree of proportion might be in order here.
Disciplinary proceedings? Dismissal for gross misconduct?

Exaggerating a bit I would say.

All a bit of a storm in a teacup really.
Old Feb 1, 2016, 6:55 am

Programs: BA Executive Club
Personally I would have thought the best way to deal with this was there and then by talking to the senior cabin crew member on board. I'm sure it would all have been sorted out in a friendly manner.
Old Feb 1, 2016, 6:57 am

Originally Posted by NWIFlyer
Any reputable organisation will have processes and procedures to deal with these nuances and variations, and ensure that they are fair to their staff; I would assume BA is no exception. Consumers have the right to complain about whatever they want - it's up to the airline to deal with it responsibly and fairly.

This is the entire reason appraisal/review/supervision structures exist in large organisations. If this CC is getting 1 complaint every 2 flights, isn't that in BA's interests to notice?
Old Feb 1, 2016, 6:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

He was probably just a little bit camp, thats all!
Old Feb 1, 2016, 6:59 am

Originally Posted by simons1
Exactly.

Popcorn definitely at the ready.....
Old Feb 1, 2016, 6:59 am

Originally Posted by Virazuno
+1
Old Feb 1, 2016, 7:03 am
Community Director

Indeed on the last sentence - which is why it ill-becomes anyone making an accusation of contact being inappropriate, which means something horribly different in UK English to that which I'm sure the OP means. It really is not the sort of language that should be included on a formal complaint given the true circumstances. I'd hope it would diminish the complaint rather than escalate it, but sadly in today's rather PC world where big companies have to be seen to investigate everything very thoroughly one can never be too certain.

At the very least, it would lead to considerable anxiety for the accused CC when asked to explain why he touched someone 'inappropriately'. That doesn't seem right to me in these circumstances.
Old Feb 1, 2016, 7:10 am

Programs: Star Alliance Gold (A3 Gold), Oneworld Emerald (BA Gold), Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by hugolover
He was probably just a little bit camp, thats all!

The comment would probably annoy me too, but I doubt I'd complain. If I complained about everybody who upset me with careless remarks, I'd spend most of my day writing letters. Just mark him down as a baddy, you'll appreciate the nicer ones more!
Old Feb 1, 2016, 7:10 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

My guess knowing how demanding the general public can be is that the OP's complaint will be given the attention it deserves. A reply will be sent and that'll be the end of it.

He's an angry man who got upset.
Old Feb 1, 2016, 7:15 am

Programs: Star Alliance Gold (A3 Gold), Oneworld Emerald (BA Gold), Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by HIDDY
He's an angry man who got upset.
Oh you just love whipping up the flames, don't you?
Old Feb 1, 2016, 7:17 am
Community Director

Originally Posted by HIDDY
My guess knowing how demanding the general public can be is that the OP's complaint will be given the attention it deserves. A reply will be sent and that'll be the end of it.
Although a complaint from a GGL should (quite rightly) carry a little more weight than a member of Joe Public who might travel on BA once every few years. Someone earning >5k TPs in a year, even if they're all ex-DUB HNL runs, travels a fair bit and generally knows what they're doing and how different cultures of CC treat passengers. Personally I love the way AA crew rather robustly manage passengers who aren't doing exactly what they want them to, but if a member of BA crew took the same approach I'd probably do a double-take at the very least! On that basis, I'd expect the words they choose to use would be taken seriously.

That's why there's a certain amount of responsibility here to remain objective and factual, removing all emotion. Hopefully, with a day or so of reflection, the OP will draw the same conclusion. If not, then there may well be something here lots of us have failed to understand and a complaint using the same language is fully justified.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.