Wiki Posts
Search

Have I hit the OF lottery?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 31, 2016, 3:04 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Silver, SPG Somthingorother, et Mucci
Have I hit the OF lottery?

Hi folks - some of you may remember me from a few years back... Used to fly BA a bit, came to a couple of dos, etc...

Anyway for first time in three years I'm able to fly again so took advantage of the sale to book myself MAN-LHR-YVR return in J. I've fallen all the way back to blue so I haven't got any seat selection ability except to pay for it (which I refuse on principle) but when I look at the seat maps something very weird is coming up for the outbound long haul sector. It's offering me the choice of main cabin, upper cabin, and front cabin (i.e. First).

The only explanation I can think of is I've hit the Old First lottery - I believe there is just one unrefurbished 744 soldiering on - but it's so decrepit that they won't sell it as First. Is that plausible? All of the seats are blanked out for me (as are most of the upper deck) but I've no idea as a blue when (or if) I'll be able to select these seats. Can someone please enlighten me? Thanks.
Old Jan 31, 2016, 3:09 pm

I think it's doing rotations to Accra and Vancouver I was on it in OF from Accra earlier this month. Was told it was also doing Vancouver flights. So I would say yes if your able to see the seats in that cabin, some else can help on when you are able to seat select as blue I have no idea.
Old Jan 31, 2016, 3:13 pm

Programs: AC 35K
Am booked on BA 84 (YVR-LHR) in CW next Friday and can confirm Front Cabin is being offered. All seats blanked out (most are blocked according to ExpertFlyer). I presume they could potentially become available at OLCI, although that's probably only if the other CW cabins fill up.
Old Jan 31, 2016, 3:42 pm
Original Poster

I guess the other question if ever I do get the opportunity to choose one of these seats is would I want to? I'm 6'5" so ordinarily would jump at the chance for a few extra inches of space, but I really wonder what sort of condition they're in at this late stage? Has anyone flown in one recently?
Old Jan 31, 2016, 3:54 pm

They're aren't in bad shape as in to be avoided, flew from Accra earlier this month on . I would 100% pick one over a regular CW seat. You've got extra space all round, less dense cabin layout etc.
Old Jan 31, 2016, 4:03 pm

The IFE is awful on the OF birds so if that's important to you then avoid

If it's a day time flight I'd take a decent CW window seat (62/64 A/K) if available over an OF seat but on an overnighter I'd still take the OF seat as the bed is much better and the cabin much quieter

Last edited by AyeCaramba; Jan 31, 2016 at 6:31 pm
Old Jan 31, 2016, 4:06 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
I was on the last Old First aircraft some months ago and it was in reasonable condition; scuffed and a bit worn in the mechanisms, but it all worked OK and was still quite comfortable - more comfortable than a CW seat.

The IFE screen is a museum piece and the inflight power is EmPower, but you've still got far more space and comfort than CW. Service will be by hand because trolleys can't fit up the aisle, too.
Old Jan 31, 2016, 4:13 pm

Programs: Accor PLT,Thai Silver, HH Dia, SPG Titanium (LT Gold), Aegean Gold, BA Silver
I took an "old bird" to PHX back in Aug and secured a First seat. Would I take it again over a coffin..............100%
Old Jan 31, 2016, 5:52 pm

We flew to YVR last week on the one plane with OF. The 'front cabin' was showing on the seat map for weeks beforehand. At online checkin, all the 'front cabin' seats were still blocked out. As it happened, CW wasn't full, so they didn't use the 'front cabin' at all. So I guess a lot depends on how full CW is on the day you're flying. You'll have to hope it's oversold.

Edited to add: just check the seat ,as for our return in a week's time, and it's changed to a 70J plane. 'Front cabin' still showing, but not buy-able, and I doubt it will be used with that many CW seats on board.

Last edited by adam1uk; Jan 31, 2016 at 6:06 pm
Old Jan 31, 2016, 11:29 pm

G-BNLF is indeed operating the Yvr at the moment. Just got back from there and seats were blocked even during OLCI. "Officially" I believe, it should only be used if the flight is oversold and the seats are needed because of that.

As it happened on the return it was overbooked and we managed to get seats in NF as it was not BNLF by asking when dropping the bags off at check in.
Allegedly the shiny gold card did help, but whether this has a say in it or not I am not too sure.
All 14 seats were taken and whilst it is the CW service obviously, it was still nice to have the seats.

If only it wouldn't have been for THE one or two who obviously thought they were in First and given the Crew a hard time for not supplying F Pyjamas and F wines, they must have forgotten they paid for CW and not F
Old Feb 1, 2016, 4:25 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Flier74
...As it happened on the return it was overbooked and we managed to get seats in NF as it was not BNLF by asking when dropping the bags off at check in.
Allegedly the shiny gold card did help, but whether this has a say in it or not I am not too sure.
All 14 seats were taken and whilst it is the CW service obviously, it was still nice to have the seats...
Wait, so are you saying they're not selling F on this route any more? Otherwise why would they be doing CW service in NF cabin?
Old Feb 1, 2016, 4:55 am

Correct. It's used as an overflow when CW is full, and CW service is offered at these seats. As mentioned above, if you're not bothered about IFE or a power plug, take them if offered.
Old Feb 1, 2016, 6:09 am
Original Poster

Well that's interesting because the site tried to upsell me to F when I booked back in November. It was mostly through POUGs and airport upgrades to F on this route that I made my status... will have to find another route now.
Old Feb 1, 2016, 6:26 am

Originally Posted by wind-blownmind
Wait, so are you saying they're not selling F on this route any more? Otherwise why would they be doing CW service in NF cabin?
currently and not for much longer this is the case yes ,even though I don't know the exact timeframes, you can not book F on the YVR on certain days until BNLF does not operate this route anymore
Old Feb 1, 2016, 8:37 am

There's a note on the seat map explaining about the 'front cabin' being OF but sold as CW.

And YVR is due to change to an A380 in the summer, so there will be First available then. Not sure if the A380 will continue in next winter.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.