Business class free/paid seats

Old Jan 31, 16, 4:31 am
Original Poster

Business class free/paid seats

I finally made my booking from DUB to LAS, all flights are BA metal. I was really surprised that the DUB/LHR and LHR/DUB had free seat selection when there is normally a charge. Not that I'm complaining but can anyone enlighten me why I got free selection.
Old Jan 31, 16, 4:33 am
nux
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, QF WP
The shorthaul connections book in to a J fare bucket which provides free seat selection.
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Platinum & Ambassador
Because those legs are in the J fare bucket and so get free seat allocation,

The longer legs are in a lower bucket which requires a fee if you want to select a seat.

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, BA Amex Prem, Fairmont Premier
Those are booked into the full fare J bucket as club europe so you get free seat selection.

EDIT: well I'm glad I wasn't the last of 3 people to tell you exactly the same thing, then I would look silly...! Have a great trip!

EDIT 2: move along, nothing to see here...

Last edited by crazy8534; Jan 31, 16 at 4:49 am
Old Jan 31, 16, 4:34 am

Programs: BD, BAEC Pleb, VS Pleb, Accor Gold, HHonors Silver, Big White Season Pass
Those legs book into full J as opposed to the I bucket that your TATL legs book into.
Old Jan 31, 16, 4:38 am
nux
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by crazy8534 View Post
Those are booked into the full fare J bucket as business UK so you get free seat selection.
Business UK is for domestic flights, DUB is Club Europe.
Old Jan 31, 16, 4:41 am

Originally Posted by nux View Post
Thanks, nux, not only 3rd but also with a mistake.
Old Jan 31, 16, 4:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by crazy8534 View Post
Those are booked into the full fare J bucket as business UK so you get free seat selection.

EDIT: well I'm glad I wasn't the last of 3 people to tell you exactly the same thing, then I would look silly...! Have a great trip!
Originally Posted by nux View Post
another "EDIT" needed?
Old Jan 31, 16, 4:49 am

Originally Posted by KARFA View Post
another "EDIT" needed?
Yeah, except doesn't work so well when it has been quoted TWICE already.... !
Old Jan 31, 16, 5:00 am
Original Poster

Thank you all for the quick replies. Can I now ask your thoughts on paying for seat selection on the other flights or would you think we would be allocated seats together at OLCI.
Old Jan 31, 16, 5:04 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Carbon Conscious Travel

Originally Posted by canitellyouasecret View Post
Thank you all for the quick replies. Can I now ask your thoughts on paying for seat selection on the other flights or would you think we would be allocated seats together at OLCI.
My advice would be to regularly monitor the live seat maps between now and departure and be ready to pounce if the availability of the seats you’d like begin to thin out.
Old Jan 31, 16, 6:24 am

Programs: Mucci! And BA Silver – previous awards - Gold 11, Silver 5, Bronze 2
Originally Posted by Prospero View Post
My advice would be to regularly monitor the live seat maps between now and departure and be ready to pounce if the availability of the seats you’d like begin to thin out.
Good advice. And important to do it every day (well if you are proper FTer anyway). IME the reason is that if a large group Books into Y then BA might start bumping people upwards and that has a knock on effect on seat availability.
Old Jan 31, 16, 6:31 am
nux
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by canitellyouasecret View Post
BA won't keep a pair of seats for you, so if none are available at OLCI you'll sit apart.

If you want (near guaranteed) certainty of sitting together, a particular pair of seats or don't won't to be continually checking the seat map from now until OLCI then pay for it now.

If you do not mind the possibility of sitting apart then either monitor the seatmap regularly to evaluate how many pairs are left and purchase if necessary, or just wait until OLCI and try to check in as close to T-24 as possible.
Old Jan 31, 16, 7:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC/IB
I'm a stingy so I'd gamble and wait until OLCI opens. If I was unsuccessful I'd ask the cabin crew if they could help us out. If that failed I'd then make the most of the flight and look forward to spending the £££ saved on a slap up meal.

OTOH if you feel sitting together is a must then cough up the fees now instead of having it in the back of your mind until departure. A ridiculous situation to put your premium cabin passengers in to be honest.
Old Jan 31, 16, 8:40 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

I am in a similar situation.

We are F from SEA to LHR.( 2A/B)

CE from LHR to CDG. We have to pay $53US for each seat from LHR to CDG. I keep trying to convince myself to wait until OLCI , but the risk that we will have to sit apart for this one hour flight grows as seats begin to fill up...even several months before our flight.

Search this Thread