Community
Wiki Posts
Search

We do not have fast track at Gatwick!

Search this Thread

Old Jan 29, 2016, 5:47 am
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AA, BA, Accor, Honors Diamond, IHG Diamond Elite and lots more....
We do not have fast track at Gatwick!

Maybe the guy thought he was being clever, but flying business on BA from LGW, went to the fast track lane, which they call Premier.

Said 'is this fast track as flying business?'

His reply was we do not have fast track at gatwick, you will need to go to LHR for that.

He was being very serious.

Took me a while to convince him that I probably was in the correct place!

I wonder how many end up walking to the regular lines and feel they get turned away. This was after the BA desk directed me towards fast track as well.
Old Jan 29, 2016, 5:50 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Is this security? It is branded as Premium Gatwick at LGW as oposed to fast track.

Anyway, my own feeling is the normal security lines at LGW are quicker anyway.
Old Jan 29, 2016, 5:52 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
It's just a branding issue, it's simply known as Premium Gatwick, and I've feeling HAL trademarked Fast Track Heathrow. Different names, same thing.

And before anyone else says this, you're generally faster going through normal security (actually KARFA got in first!) - LGW went to a huge effort to get queues down there, and have largely been successful. Until the Emirates travellers are out of the way you probably would be best giving Premium Gatwick a miss. Or just ask the scan guy how many people are in the queue. If it's 8 or more then go normal security instead.
Old Jan 29, 2016, 5:54 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
And before anyone else says this, you're generally faster going through normal security (actually KARFA got in first!) ...
Too late

I would agree. After your recommendations to use normal security and my increasing frustration with Premium at LGW (I usually have pre-0900 flights when departing LGW) I have been using normal security this year and it has been a revelation. I will be there next weekend on Saturday morning and will head straight for normal secuirty.

Last edited by KARFA; Jan 29, 2016 at 6:25 am Reason: dates confused when I will be at LGW
Old Jan 29, 2016, 8:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Agree with you both ... I now 'inspect' Premium Gatwick as much as I can, and am perfectly happy with main Security these days. It's a decision to be made at the time, rather than planning in advance.
Old Jan 29, 2016, 9:31 am

Programs: BA- blue, BD,DL
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
It's just a branding issue, it's simply known as Premium Gatwick, and I've feeling HAL trademarked Fast Track Heathrow. Different names, same thing.

And before anyone else says this, you're generally faster going through normal security (actually KARFA got in first!) - LGW went to a huge effort to get queues down there, and have largely been successful. Until the Emirates travellers are out of the way you probably would be best giving Premium Gatwick a miss. Or just ask the scan guy how many people are in the queue. If it's 8 or more then go normal security instead.
Perhaps that's why its branded that way - it's not fast just premium...
Old Jan 29, 2016, 9:52 am
Formerly known as linzbh

Programs: BAEC GGL, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium
I've never had an issue with using the premium security queue usually through in 4 minutes or less.
Old Jan 29, 2016, 9:58 am

Programs: BA GGL, UA Plat, DL Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by linzbh
I've never had an issue with using the premium security queue usually through in 4 minutes or less.
I was there the other morning at 0600 and it was heaving, with only 1 machine in operation... I really wish I'd not been so lazy and just walked down to the (as far as I could see) empty main line

And while I was waiting, I observed 6 members of staff hanging about, of whom perhaps 2.5 were doing something useful

Still at least LGW people are 500% nicer to deal with than LHR T5 ones, so I was able to have a bit of banter about "working to rule" without being hauled away in handcuffs
Old Jan 29, 2016, 5:03 pm

Fast Track was an immigration line type thing* for non-EU passport holders.
Premium Gatwick is a "priority" line for security.

*I've had wine and can't think of the proper terminology.
Old Jan 29, 2016, 5:06 pm
Suspended
Hilton Contributor Badge

I've had this experience at Gatwick too, thankfully a few years ago. I ended up being diverted to normal security.
Old Jan 30, 2016, 12:18 am

Programs: BA Gold
I used Premium Gatwick a couple of weeks ago (at about 0830). No queue at all. Staff were all very pleasant and there was plenty of space to gather up ones stuff and put shoes back on.

The real bonus in my view is that you aren't forced into the duty free shop on the way out.
Old Jan 30, 2016, 12:57 am

Programs: BAEC Bronze
Strange, I always find the Premium lane pretty good. Maybe it's to do with flight times - usually afternoon for me.
Old Jan 30, 2016, 2:06 am

Originally Posted by njf63
I was there the other morning at 0600 and it was heaving, with only 1 machine in operation... I really wish I'd not been so lazy and just walked down to the (as far as I could see) empty main line

And while I was waiting, I observed 6 members of staff hanging about, of whom perhaps 2.5 were doing something useful

Still at least LGW people are 500% nicer to deal with than LHR T5 ones, so I was able to have a bit of banter about "working to rule" without being hauled away in handcuffs
Funny as you mention it I have been through there many times but only ever seen the far machine working regardless of queue length.
Old Jun 28, 2017, 8:00 pm

Programs: Air: QR Silver. BA Silver Emirates, Hotels: CC Gold, IHG Spire AMB, Hilton Diamond.
How are the security main line and premium lane at Gatwick North generally these days ?
Have a flight with 5 of us on Sunday at 0740, easyJet :-(
Staying overnight nearby (HI) and dropping bags off Sat night so just hand baggage in the morning for an 0740 flight.
Wondering whether to get premium security access or not. Looking for recent experiences from FTers......

Incidentally, what's the 'best' priority pass lounge in the north at the moment at that time of day ( half 5 or 6 ish) ?? No.1, Aspire or MyLounge ??

I presume the No.1 lounge is no longer overcrowded with frustrated BA passengers moaning about the lack of champers (as I would be too as a O/W Emerald) ;-)

Cheers.
Old Jun 28, 2017, 10:06 pm

The premium lane is still pretty pointless. I've been through LGW a few times in recent months at a similar time and there hasn't been much of a queue in either that or regular security.

The biggest problem with premium/fast track seems to be people not knowing how to use the boarding pass scanners. Once you confuse the machines enough they just refuse to do anything until a staff member comes over, and there is never anyone around that section so everyone behind you has to stand and wait too.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.