Search

BA and Zika virus

Search this Thread

Old Jan 29, 2016, 12:15 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Here is the full statement on the trade website

Old Jan 29, 2016, 12:25 pm

Programs: BA GGL, BA Amex Prem, Amex Plat, Hilton Diamond, Sir Crazy8534 de l'ordres des aides de Pucci
Also may be of interest, some reliable sources of information about the virus and what we know so far about the associated risks:

World Health Organisation
US Center for Disease Control
NHS Choices
Old Feb 1, 2016, 5:03 am

I've got award flight booked to Florida in March and my pregnant wife is worried about it potentially spreading there.

If I call and move the flight will I need to use more Avios as it was booked pre devaluation to get on a later flight after baby is born ?
Old Feb 2, 2016, 2:15 am
Moderator: Qatar Airways

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
Just to update -

With Zika being upgraded by the W.H.O yesterday, I can imagine there are numerous people cancelling their upcoming trips to South America, Central America, and the Carribean. Hopefully there are no signs of it in HNL!

I've managed to cancel my hotel bookings for Antigua and Anguilla; surprisingly easy, and the hotels were understanding.

My flights with LIAT were Fully Flexible, so have been cancelled, but my BA flights are proving rather difficult to cancel.

The phone number for Propeller is set to an auto-message, and my email is yet to be responded to (4 days after sending).

Has anyone had better luck getting hold of Daniel?
Old Feb 2, 2016, 3:02 am

There was a discussion about Zika on the Jeremy Vine show yesterday radio 2 with a health expert.The Zika virus mosquitos are active by day,so night time nets are ineffective.There is a huge list of countries affected.Antigua is on the list.Finally,the virus does not seem to remain dormant in the body for any significant length of time,and indeed there are some benefits for women who contract the virus before pregnancy in that their immune system gets a boost to deal with the virus.

Trouble is there is not enough known about this virus.The health expert was suggesting delaying travel for anybody who is or may be pregnant.
Old Feb 2, 2016, 3:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GMLFL, Life 2.0 - Mucci Premiere Classe & des Chevaliers Toulousiens
A conclusive link between the virus and the birth defects has not even been established yet. That's not saying there isn't one.

Brazil started an eradication program for these exact mossies a year or two ago (because of the dengue they also carry) by introducing genetically modified (sterile) ones into their habitat. I believe they did the biggest trial in exactly that area where it surfaced first.
http://www.iflscience.com/plants-and-animals/dengue-fighting-mosquitoes-are-suppressing-wild-populations-brazil

Not saying there is a link. It also may be that they want some serious help.

Again: I would not be too worried but there is no point saying that to any soon-to-be parent. I'm sure I would not risk anything myself either.

AFAIK we don't even know IF the virus is responsible and at what stage (if any) the damage to the fetus is done. A doctor may contradict me, but it seems this has to be during the early stages (first trimester).

I certainly hope this doesn't become a huge economic blow to a very unstable region.

Last edited by henkybaby; Feb 2, 2016 at 3:28 am
Old Feb 2, 2016, 3:21 am
formerly rxfleming

Programs: BA GGL, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Plat Elite
Originally Posted by msm2000uk
Just to update -

The phone number for Propeller is set to an auto-message, and my email is yet to be responded to (4 days after sending).

Has anyone had better luck getting hold of Daniel?
I know he's been in NYC lately, and he might have been having a family emergency, but I have him on whatsapp, and he hasn't responded to me in weeks. Bizarre.
Old Feb 2, 2016, 3:57 am

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
Originally Posted by rapidex
There was a discussion about Zika on the Jeremy Vine show yesterday radio 2 with a health expert.The Zika virus mosquitos are active by day,so night time nets are ineffective.There is a huge list of countries affected.Antigua is on the list.Finally,the virus does not seem to remain dormant in the body for any significant length of time,and indeed there are some benefits for women who contract the virus before pregnancy in that their immune system gets a boost to deal with the virus.

Trouble is there is not enough known about this virus.The health expert was suggesting delaying travel for anybody who is or may be pregnant.
Regrettably, with Zika spreading as quickly as it is, it was only ever a matter of time before Antigua and Anguilla were affected.

Originally Posted by henkybaby
A conclusive link between the virus and the birth defects has not even been established yet. That's not saying there isn't one.

Brazil started an eradication program for these exact mossies a year or two ago (because of the dengue they also carry) by introducing genetically modified (sterile) ones into their habitat. I believe they did the biggest trial in exactly that area where it surfaced first.
http://www.iflscience.com/plants-and...lations-brazil

Not saying there is a link. It also may be that they want some serious help.

Again: I would not be too worried but there is no point saying that to any soon-to-be parent. I'm sure I would not risk anything myself either.

AFAIK we don't even know IF the virus is responsible and at what stage (if any) the damage to the fetus is done. A doctor may contradict me, but it seems this has to be during the early stages (first trimester).

I certainly hope this doesn't become a huge economic blow to a very unstable region.
I agree entirely that there has been no proven link between Zika and issues during pregnancy. However, with the World Health Organisation issuing a warning to those in affected areas (who are pregnant/concieving), I am not taking any chances.

Of course it is entirely personal, and some may continue to travel to affected regions. I, however, will not.

Originally Posted by rxfleming
I know he's been in NYC lately, and he might have been having a family emergency, but I have him on whatsapp, and he hasn't responded to me in weeks. Bizarre.
Thanks for letting me know.

I've emailed him on FT (which he logged into earlier today), and hopefully he will come back to me.

I'm sure things are tough for him at present, and I feel bad for potentially compounding those issues, but hopefully he will be in touch without any escalation.
Old Feb 2, 2016, 4:58 am

I booked flights to Colombia for May with my wife thru a travel agency (tripsta.co.uk). They claim that BA refuses any reimbursement for our tickets.

"Regarding your query please note we contacted British Airways but we are sorry to inform you the cancellation is done only according to the airline rules.

There is no waiver offered for a cancellation due to the Zika virus."

I will try and call BA instead of the travel agency as they didn't even know about Zika when I called them (quite surprising). I will let you guys know what happens.
Old Feb 2, 2016, 5:18 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by mike92500
I booked flights to Colombia for May with my wife thru a travel agency (tripsta.co.uk). They claim that BA refuses any reimbursement for our tickets.

"Regarding your query please note we contacted British Airways but we are sorry to inform you the cancellation is done only according to the airline rules.

There is no waiver offered for a cancellation due to the Zika virus."

I will try and call BA instead of the travel agency as they didn't even know about Zika when I called them (quite surprising). I will let you guys know what happens.
I didn't even know BA flew to Colombia. From what I understand it's not on the list of destinations that will allow you to cancel anyway.
Old Apr 12, 2016, 7:10 am

My son cancelled his trip to Brazil. The latest on Zika is that it may leave permanent side-effects in the brain, very scary! Now there's also the H1N1 virus in Sao Paulo and Rio to worry about.

Cancelled Avios award flight from Sao Paulo to Rio, BA is refunding the 4,500 Points but keeping the $9.69 paid for Tax/Fee/Charge???

UAL issued a full refund of miles and fees. ^

American did not wave the $150 award cancellation fee, so I only cancelled the reservation.
Old Jul 30, 2016, 11:36 am

An update for those with bookings to Florida:

Zika virus
Answer Id 5434 | Updated 30/07/2016 03.13 PM (UK time)

We are closely monitoring reports of the Zika virus in Brazil, Mexico and across the Caribbean.

The World Health Organisation has not put in any travel restrictions to any of these destinations. The latest advice can be found on the Public Health England website.

Travelling to Florida

Following the change of travel advice from Public Health England to pregnant women to consider postponing non-essential trips to Florida because of the Zika virus, British Airways has introduced a more flexible policy for customers.
More information

If you are pregnant at the time of travelling to Florida. We have made the following option available to you:

Rebook your flight to a non-Zika affected destination. To arrange please contact us.
Old Jul 30, 2016, 12:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

According to todays papers the UK is literally chock a block with Zuka.

Hence, I consider all my non-flexible tickets flexible and cancellable forthwith.
Old Oct 2, 2017, 2:20 am

Recent Zika cancellation experience

just an update to this thread for those like me that find themselves in the happy position of having a pregnant wife - and the unhappy coincidence of also having flights booked to a country with Zika. I phoned BA, who said that their policy was to give a full refund if I was able to provide documentary evidence. I sent scans of this to the email address they gave me, and the refund was processed quite promptly.
I must admit, having seen stories denigrating BA’s current approach to customer service, I was pleasantly surprised!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.