Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

40TPs needed. What's the cheapest way with a few constraints?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 22, 2016, 8:11 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Silver, HHonors Gold
Question 40TPs needed. What's the cheapest way with a few constraints?

To get Gold by the end of April (as it would be nice to have for a domestic in May and some flights later on in the year which are either domestic or J), I need another 40TPs. Hoping that maybe someone here can point me in the direction of a suitable fare to get them. There are a couple of complications though:

It will need to be a day trip (so that whacks the price up I know, but circumstances dictate)

It preferably needs to be a Saturday (or Sunday at a push), though if there is a really good deal I can do a weekday.

No just turn arounds. Be nice to see where I've gone for 3 or 4 hours!

Blackout dates: 9th - 17th March, 16th - 28th April inclusive

Cheap as possible!

Any good ones out there?.
Old Jan 22, 2016, 8:45 am

Programs: BAEC (although I might just cut up the card)
Not true that it'll be expensive to fly in/out the same day. BA still do some decent deals on same day returns at the weekend to certain EU destinations.

I just looked for example at this weekend. LHR-LIS-LHR out in the morning, back in the evening is £90 HBO or £120 economy.

It's valid for quite a few short haul destinations. I have no idea what booking class they fall into though. So you'd need between 2 and 4 of these I would expect.

EDIT: following up. I see these book into G class. So will only earn 5 points each way. So not an ideal solution. Unless you want to do 4 weekend day trips :P

Last edited by r00ty; Jan 22, 2016 at 8:53 am
Old Jan 22, 2016, 8:50 am

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold & GGL & CCR, HH Diam, Bonvoy Titanium, IHG Spire, Tastecard

JER. AMS.

Those tend to be decently priced though not sure if you can do CE one way and ETb the other.
Old Jan 22, 2016, 9:00 am

Programs: BA Gold (ex-GGL, maybe future Silver), Hilton Diamond
Your cheapest option without an overnight is probably an N-class fare to one of the short-haul plus destinations. For instance, Athens is £242.

Otherwise LGW-AMS is £311 with the outbound in O, return in D.

LGW - BOD is £246 on the same basis but it's back-to-back only - I don't know if that's feasible and it doesn't meet the 'day out' criteria, but if back-to-back works then it can be done in a morning.
Old Jan 22, 2016, 9:07 am

Programs: BA GGL (for now) and Lifetime Gold, Marriott fan thanks to Bonvoy Moments
It's all in the tier points run thread...
Old Jan 22, 2016, 9:15 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
The problem you've got is that you need an overnight Saturday into Sunday return to get the better priced CE tickets.

The decision you need to make is
1) Is it definitely one day, one trip only
2) To what extent money is no object
3) What risks you are prepared to take with POUGs.

So if you definitely want 40 TPs, no risks, and just a there and back, then I think you're off to Glasgow, which costs £200 in H bucket from LGW.

If you want to take a risk, then LGW-JER and a POUG will be perhaps a bit cheaper but you may not get the POUG. To be sure of the TPs you'd need to pay around £300, CE one way, ET return. If you stay Saturday night this comes down to £170.

If you can do two day trips you can think about nest tickets to save money, using one set of tickets for the first and last flights, the second set of tickets for the middle sectors.

The other thing you can think about is things like trips to the Highlands on code shares, so you'd get one flight to GLA and another to Barra or Islay or Stornoway. You're still looking at £200 or more.

Other options: I got a GLA-NOC (Knock) for a very low price, and I can see some going at £114, that could also get you 20 TPs, so again around the £200 plus area.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.