BA31 Cancelled 24 January

Old Jan 21, 2016, 4:19 pm

Originally Posted by NNH
Is it worth flying to MCO or TPA from LGW?
Well I suppose if OP was intending to visit HK Disneyland then TPA/MCO might be a suitable alternative, but I'm not quite sure that was his plan...
Old Jan 21, 2016, 5:21 pm

Programs: EBD, BAEC GGL/CCR, Alitalia AlataPlus, Club Carlson Gold, SPG Plat100, HHD
Sounds ridiculous :/

If I ever have this experience I will quickly switch back to *A for my longhaul flights (where I as top tier with my airline get reaccomodated onto any *A flight ASAP if asking nicely). Flying BA metal for me is mostly an inconvenience anyway...
Old Jan 21, 2016, 11:15 pm

Programs: BA - Gold for Life, CCR & GGL; IC Spire Elite Ambassador; Diamond Hilton Honors; Hyatt Discoverist
The above posts do not read at all well for BA.

Good luck to the OP on getting back as smoothly, quickly and comfortably as possible.

When you get back, I would share all of your experiences with BA Customer Relations.

I would also start to look at other OW (or non OW) options for a few trips to help get over the annoyance at the poor treatment. CX, QR or AY would be grateful for your money to HKG although you may want direct flights only.
Old Jan 21, 2016, 11:28 pm

Originally Posted by philthegreek
And I suppose the exceptional circumstances argument can be made so denying any EC261 compensation.
That's pushing it a bit! They crashed a plane into a jetbridge in MIA so they cancelled a HKG flight?

I am very surprised tbh. CX will always put you on another carrier, even non-OW, and I know of BA doing the same in the past when the A380 was new and having teething issues.
Old Jan 22, 2016, 1:13 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC GFL, GGL, Hilton Diamond, EuroBonus Gold for Life, SPG Plat Elite
Thanks for everyone's advice. I definitely was not heading for Disneyland but to work in Shenzhen, over the border from Hong Kong.
I am as astonished that BA were unable to reroute me even indirect.
I will be putting in a claim under EC261 and also a complaint regarding the treatment and will keep FT posted with results.
Old Jan 22, 2016, 1:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, BA Silver, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by philthegreek
Thanks for everyone's advice. I definitely was not heading for Disneyland but to work in Shenzhen, over the border from Hong Kong.
I am as astonished that BA were unable to reroute me even indirect.
I will be putting in a claim under EC261 and also a complaint regarding the treatment and will keep FT posted with results.
Be prepared for them to claim exceptional circumstance, in which case you fire up the Money Claim Online tool.

Or I guess the other option is to go to the airport anyway - as has been reported here, ticket agents at the airport have a lot more flexibility than their call centre colleagues.
Old Jan 22, 2016, 1:30 am

Programs: Gold Actually
as usual this thread has made no sense as I haven't inwardly digested all of the BA numbers and routes - thankfully cws, as always, puts people in their place....
Old Jan 22, 2016, 1:57 am

Programs: Meh
Originally Posted by Swiss Tony
Be prepared for them to claim exceptional circumstance, in which case you fire up the Money Claim Online tool.

Or I guess the other option is to go to the airport anyway - as has been reported here, ticket agents at the airport have a lot more flexibility than their call centre colleagues.
This is what I have done in the past and it has worked out.
In future travel with CX, better product anyway, and I have found brilliant service in times of need.
Old Jan 22, 2016, 2:09 am

Programs: BA (Gold). Various other statuses
Originally Posted by Castle25
as usual this thread has made no sense as I haven't inwardly digested all of the BA numbers and routes - thankfully cws, as always, puts people in their place....
+1. I have enough trouble remember my next flight number never mind learning other ones as well!
Old Jan 22, 2016, 4:06 am

These things happen. Just take the seat in Y and enjoy the compensation heading your way for the downgrade. It wont kill you.
Old Jan 22, 2016, 4:50 am

Programs: BA Silver, MUCCI des Soins Medicaux, Le mdecin personnel PUCCI GALORE
BA31 Cancelled 24 January

This seems ridiculous. There are many ways to get to HKG using BA and its code share partners. PVG, PEK, CTU. Not to mention CX or AY which should be easy for the GGL to sort...
Old Jan 22, 2016, 5:28 am

Programs: Many. Too many. I came here to cut them down. I failed.
With the advance notice of the impending snow storms on the East Coast US that could leave numerous 747's/777/380 snowbound in the US - and with advance notice of this cancellation (for what was a busy flight) I AM surprised that a 777/747 hasn't been taken off BOS/JFK to take on this single rotation. There was plenty of time to get a crew positioned out to HKG for the return segment.

I know this is simplistic to the extreme, but it looks as though there will be loads of planes and crews stranded in the US doing nothing this weekend anyway!
Old Jan 22, 2016, 7:53 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC GFL, GGL, Hilton Diamond, EuroBonus Gold for Life, SPG Plat Elite
Originally Posted by badoc
This seems ridiculous. There are many ways to get to HKG using BA and its code share partners. PVG, PEK, CTU. Not to mention CX or AY which should be easy for the GGL to sort...
GGL said that they are only allowed to offer re-routing with partners on Joint Business Routing, which does not include AY or CX. However they did say that at the airport the staff have more flexibility to reroute on other carriers. I am just going to arrive at work a day late.
Old Jan 31, 2016, 7:18 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Swiss Tony

Just to conclude on this thread. EC261 claim accepted by BA and 600 will be transferred to my bank account. Doesn't really help the work day lost but covers my inconvenience.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.