Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

"hidden" BAEC Gold benefits on Qatar, Qantas, Cathay etc.?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 19, 2016, 12:53 pm
Original Poster

Doesn't anyone know of a place where the hidden benefits that one gets from being a BA gold or above but travelling on other oneworld airlines are listed? I don't mean the main listed ones, like lounge access, first class check-in, I mean the unlisted or less publicised ones, like access to front row seating, or linking of PNRs

Ones I am particularly interested in for some upcoming trips are

1) How does front row seating work for BA gold or above on Qatar, Finnair, and Malaysian
2) How does online check in work, is it like BA where if you aren't happy with your seat and don't print your boarding pass you can move around the cabin to your hearts content until your desired seat becomes available or T-1 passes. If not what tricks does one have to resort to in order to get the seat you want?
3) How does priority security/priority boarding work. On BA as gold or above you can pretty much use any security and board any time you like, with as many people in tow as are in your party, is this the same on these airlines?

As I say I'm particularly interested in the above for Qatar, Finnair, and Malaysian for some upcoming trips, but that got me thinking that this is part of a bigger question of recognition of BAEC across all of Oneworld.
Old Jan 19, 2016, 12:57 pm

Programs: BA GGL (for now) and Lifetime Gold, Marriott fan thanks to Bonvoy Moments
Don't know to be honest, but I've had free move to earlier flight on CX in J and also bottle of water offered pre take-off and early meal choice when Y in CX.
Old Jan 19, 2016, 1:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GMLFL, Life 2.0 - Mucci Premiere Classe & des Chevaliers Toulousiens
In the QR lounge now and what I can say is:

Front row seats are not restricted (not on any airline but BA I believe). I can guarantee this for MH, CX and AA.

You can seat shift to your heart's content but as they do not charge for seat assignments the good seats pretty well fill up asap. Again: BA the only airline that charges for this.

Fast track I can't say for sure, as I have only traveled in business. In which case you have it.

Added benefit on QR is first meal choice, but you either have to ask or they just liked me.

Bad thing about QR is that you don't get access to their top lounges as a OWE.

The recognition on CX has been discussed to death.
Old Jan 19, 2016, 1:55 pm

Programs: British Airways Executive Club Gold
Regarding to seat selection on QR:

In Y on 787 the first three rows are reserved for Sapphire and above. Sometimes they block these seats anyway though when requested at check in counter they will open the exit row seat and bulkhead for you. Last time at HKG check-in the GA actually phoned up and ask for permission in the lines like “can I open the seat for a BA Silver?”
Old Jan 19, 2016, 1:58 pm

Programs: British Airways Executive Club Gold
Originally Posted by henkybaby
Bad thing about QR is that you don't get access to their top lounges as a OWE
I spent around 10 hours in both lounges and it was okay. You can smell the smoke even outside the smoking room. It's quite at night but gets really busy in the morning. Showers are really nice -- design is far better than BA however you can not choose cold water and the loo is not in the same room as the shower.

In terms of fast track on QR just show your BP and they will let you in. Fast track in DOH with QR is excellent -- you really go very fast.

OT: you CAN bring loquids over limits as long as you come from a transit flight
Old Jan 19, 2016, 2:08 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by henkybaby
In the QR lounge now and what I can say is:

Front row seats are not restricted (not on any airline but BA I believe). I can guarantee this for MH, CX and AA.

You can seat shift to your heart's content but as they do not charge for seat assignments the good seats pretty well fill up asap. Again: BA the only airline that charges for this.

Fast track I can't say for sure, as I have only traveled in business. In which case you have it.

Added benefit on QR is first meal choice, but you either have to ask or they just liked me.

Bad thing about QR is that you don't get access to their top lounges as a OWE.

The recognition on CX has been discussed to death.
Can you seat shift to your hearts content on QR if you have already PYOB?
Old Jan 19, 2016, 2:10 pm

Programs: BA
On Qatar, you can block people sitting next to you on request.
Old Jan 19, 2016, 2:36 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by wwoodhouse7
On Qatar, you can block people sitting next to you on request.
In First and Business, are you sure?. Aside from not having a seat next to you most of the time it would very generous of them indeed.

Mind you it happens on BA domestic as one of those unpublished benefits on lightly loaded flights so I guess it is in my original list
Old Jan 19, 2016, 2:39 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, Marriott Plat
My wife and I flew to Doha just before Christmas and got bumped up from economy to business, so I presume OWE status holds some sway on full flights needing op-ups (we were on paid Y tickets, I'm BA gold my wife is BA silver)
Vasco Pridat likes this.
Old Jan 19, 2016, 3:37 pm

Programs: Mucci Entry Level, BA Gold, EK Pleb, SK Pleb, QR Pleb
I haven't seen any benefits as BA Gold on QR. Front row seat in J is indeed restricted an I can't select it.

OW Emeralds have a small inferior lounge at DOH. Only ticketed J will experience the nice lounge (regardless of OW status).
Old Jan 19, 2016, 4:10 pm

Programs: BA Gold, TK Elite Plus
On AY:

Free seat selection any time, including Economy Comfort in long haul, Fast track where available, random free newspaper on flights, random welcome and glass of champagne on long haul Y, use of the emer/plat checkin desk in Helsinki, free checked suitcase on the "Light" HBO fares.

Not sure which are published and which unpublished, but these are my experiences over a few years of semi-frequent AY flying as BA Gold.
Old Jan 19, 2016, 8:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I've noticed JJ, JL and CX have looked after me quite well, with free change on day on inflex tickets, taking my meal choice first, and proactive seat blocking in Y, et c. Got a few warm welcomes on QR as well but they sometimes make me feel a bit awkward ...
Old Jan 19, 2016, 10:12 pm

Programs: RJ Gold, AZ E+, Air Asia Platinum
From my experience:

BA:Nothing (for non-BA Emerald)

CX:Seat block (automatic);
complimentary rebooking on earlier same day services;
bottle of Evian on departure;
arrival fast track voucher where available (eg:KUL/BKK)

LA: (LAN Chile) the SCCM approached and offered me a drink before the service started in J. The rest of the cabin got their drinks much later.

S7:A very,very good op-up ratio,think 70%.

RJ:Seat block (need to ask,may not always work). If you connect via AMM don't ask at the transit desk,ask in the lounge.
Complimentary bus TO the airport from City terminal at 7th circle in AMM. Show your card to the driver when boarding the train and say "RJ Platinum" and they will let you board. Coming back FROM the airport you have to use the normal (not RJ bus),so that would not work) I beleive normal ticket costs around 4USD.
RJ charges (around 4-5USD/bag) for checking in bags in the city terminal (in town check in),but waives the charge for OWS/OWE.

IB:Nothing

MH:Nothing

Any Golds here experienced UL Y? I am flying with them in february and would be intrested to know if they offer anything special to Emeralds in Y?
Old Jan 19, 2016, 10:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GMLFL, Life 2.0 - Mucci Premiere Classe & des Chevaliers Toulousiens
Flight to BKK delayed. Upgraded to First (QR) for the inconvenience and they claim it is because I am a frequent flyer, yet this is only my 3rd flight on QR in 3 years. So probably due to my OW status. No access to the good lounge though (very protective of that) and i will still miss my connection on a separate PNR (so no help from QR).....
Old Jan 20, 2016, 12:40 am

Programs: BAEC, A3 M&B
Being BA Gold or Silver really increases your chances of op-up on CX for at least some time and at least on short and medium haul routes, as CX are keen to lure you to Marco Polo. To the point that CX elites keep complaining that they get fewer op-ups than non-CX elites since they already are in Marco Polo.

Last edited by EuropeToAsia; Jan 20, 2016 at 12:50 am Reason: clarification

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.