Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Canceling award booking 12 hours later: cash and points refunded?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 19, 2016, 10:05 am
Original Poster

Booked flights for the family using avios and cash thru BA site on AA metal. Work is jerking me around so 12 hours later I need to cancel. Just so I know where I stand before I call if I cancel now will I get points and cash back? Site does not specifically say. Ty for any help!
Old Jan 19, 2016, 10:12 am
Original Poster

Nm, just found answer in sticky. I think. But does cash back include fees or just fare component?
Old Jan 19, 2016, 10:20 am

Programs: BA
Originally Posted by trajanc
Nm, just found answer in sticky. I think. But does cash back include fees or just fare component?
You will get everything back. In my experience, they may initially only refund the taxes. You may have to follow up on the fare component.
Old Jan 19, 2016, 10:20 am

you get everything back if you cancel within 24 hours of booking. After 24 hours you get everything back less £35 per person fee (assuming that you are not booked to travel in the next day or 2)
Old Jan 19, 2016, 10:22 am

Programs: BA- blue, BD,DL

If it's a full Avios redemption plus fees/taxes you get it all back. Not sure about part Avios part cash bookings.
Old Jan 20, 2016, 9:30 am
Original Poster

Ty for the feedback all. Took a little prodding but agent said I will get back all points and $. Points are in account already. Will monitor card and post if any inconsistency.
Old Jan 20, 2016, 9:39 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
If you want to take advantage of the 24 hour colling off period you must call to cancel. Do not cancel online.
Old Jul 15, 2016, 5:18 am

Programs: Mucci Des Oeufs Brouilles et des Canards
Just a follow on question to this. I've booked a one way Zone 1 booking for 4500 Avios and £17.50 last night for an ex-pat and now find the date he wanted to fly is wrong. If I cancel this booking, it's going to cost £35. Is that correct?

I somehow feel it's better just to lose the £17.50 and 4500 Avios than pay £35 to get the 4500 Avios back. Thoughts?
Old Jul 15, 2016, 5:22 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by dddc
Just a follow on question to this. I've booked a one way Zone 1 booking for 4500 Avios and £17.50 last night for an ex-pat and now find the date he wanted to fly is wrong. If I cancel this booking, it's going to cost £35. Is that correct?

I somehow feel it's better just to lose the £17.50 and 4500 Avios than pay £35 to get the 4500 Avios back. Thoughts?
If you only booked last night then you will get a full refund of Avios and taxes if you call within 24 hours. You must call though as this won't work if cancelled online.
Old Jul 15, 2016, 5:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
Assuming that you cannot avail yourself of the 24h cancellation rule, you will not be asked to pay the difference up to £35 to get your AVIOS back. The amount already paid will be lost, but that is it and you will get your AVIOS back.

I had AVIOS booking recenty on KA (HKG-PNH) that I had to cancel. I had paid approx. £13 in taxes and I wasn't asked to pay the "shortage" to £35 to get my 15,000 AVIOS back.
Old Jul 15, 2016, 6:47 am

Thanks all.

I forgot to mention I booked this via Avios.com not BA.com. Would that make a difference? I've got 5 hours left in the 24 hr period.
Old Jul 15, 2016, 8:40 am

Just called Avios help line. I'm in shock.

They answered the call straight away!!

And yes, as I was in the 24hr cooling off period they were able to refund it. Will take about 10 days for cash and points to come back but hey, that's fine. ^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.