Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA automatically checking you in and emailing boarding pass

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA automatically checking you in and emailing boarding pass

Search this Thread

Old Jan 24, 2016, 4:42 am

Originally Posted by Oaxaca
LX do this (or at least they did, haven't flown with them for about 18 months). They allowed opt-out, which I always did. IIRC, if you hadn't opted out, you were checked in at T-24. Not a big fan, though more often than not I am checked in by T-6 anyway.
LX still do this. You have to opt-in in the LX version for MMB for you to be auto-checked in at T-24. I never select this option, as I have heard you can be placed in some questionable seats.
Old Jan 24, 2016, 5:42 am

Programs: BAEC; LH M&M; HH Diamond
Basically the same with Lufty:

system works on intra-Schengen bookings

BP will be sent to twenty-three hours befores scheduled departure (i.e. when their OLCI opens)

you have to opt in (which I haven't) rather than out and this has to be on your profile - it doesn't apply to individual bookings.
Old Oct 26, 2020, 9:54 am

Programs: OWE, *G
Is it possible to opt out of auto check-in? I want to use the same-day free change, but it’s a hassle when you have to call to get it changed.
Old Oct 26, 2020, 10:06 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
I haven't seen a whisper about auto-check-in for a very long time. At least for my travelling it seems not to happen now, and I often OLCI just a couple of hours before departure, particularly out of EDI.
Old Oct 26, 2020, 10:25 am

Programs: BA Silver
Personally I hate the idea of this. Please give me an opt out button before this rolls out system wide.

I prefer to check in very late, simply to give myself the opportunity to move my seat or flight closer to departure time with ease. We live in a digital world, I shouldn’t have to call the airline as a result of their imposed process to make a change that can be facilitated through self service.
James91 likes this.
Old Oct 26, 2020, 11:59 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AA, BA, Accor, Honors Diamond, IHG Diamond Elite and lots more....
What is the risk of BA taking you off a flight if you don't check in quickly or changing your seat?

Just concerned that you might lose your front seat if you delay check in until a few hours before the flight.
Old Oct 26, 2020, 12:34 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by GentleGiant
What is the risk of BA taking you off a flight if you don't check in quickly or changing your seat?

Just concerned that you might lose your front seat if you delay check in until a few hours before the flight.
pretty much zero.
Old Oct 26, 2020, 1:36 pm

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by SHT88T
Personally I hate the idea of this. Please give me an opt out button before this rolls out system wide.

I prefer to check in very late, simply to give myself the opportunity to move my seat or flight closer to departure time with ease. We live in a digital world, I shouldn’t have to call the airline as a result of their imposed process to make a change that can be facilitated through self service.
This is a very old thread and auto check-in seems to have never got past the trial phase.
Old Oct 27, 2020, 3:23 am

Programs: AA EXP and Eurostar Carte Blanche
Originally Posted by Calchas
The check in process is part of how the airline gets paid for the flight. At this time the airline collects the (electronic) flight coupon from the (electronic) ticket which acts as a financial document.
Thanks -- I learned something today Were the coupons the red carbon paper things that were stapled to the back of the boarding cards? Or was that the ticket?
Old Oct 27, 2020, 7:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by ExpatExp
Were the coupons the red carbon paper things that were stapled to the back of the boarding cards? Or was that the ticket?
The ticket consisted of a booklet with a coupon for each flight and a receipt at the bottom (plus one or two more sheets above the first flight coupon, which the ticketing office would keep). Each coupon had red carbon on the back, so when you wrote on the top sheet the same automatically copied through onto every coupon below and onto the receipt. When you checked in for a flight, the coupon for that flight would be pulled out of the booklet to pay for that flight. Sometimes, the coupon would be stapled to the back of the boarding pass, so that it wasn't physically taken off you until you boarded at the gate, but there were times when the coupon would be taken away at check-in.

When laser-printed card tickets came in, the red carbon tickets were replicated by printing one card for each coupon and one receipt card at the bottom of the booklet. The relevant coupon would still be pulled at check-in, and collected by the airline either at check-in or at the gate on boarding.

As Calchas says, current e-tickets on mainstream airlines are basically electronic replicas of the old red carbon booklets. Conceptually, little has changed. And hence the same terminology is still used.
ExpatExp likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.