Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Problem with refund of $ and redeposit of Avios on canceled award

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 18, 2016, 6:54 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Plat Pro, United Silver, Marriott LTT, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum

In November I booked 3 award tickets LAX-MEX on American, using Avios. I paid 40,000 Avios per passenger plus about $83 each in taxes & fees. (first class).

On December 23 I canceled the trip online.

On December 30, BA refunded my credit card only $8 per passenger. I was charged the $55 redeposit fee plus the $25 service center fee. Both agents I have spoken to by phone say that they can see I canceled online, and they don't know why I was charged the extra $25 pp. Both said my only recourse is to contact Customer Relations online, which I did, and received the following response: "I'd like to inform you that if you need to make a change to your booking, cancel your flight or buy new tickets then you may have to pay a service fee in addition to any changes to the price of your fare."

On January 14 I called to ask about the refund and my Avios. The agent said she was redepositing my Avios and that they should be in my account immediately. I logged in and told her I couldn't see it. She said that she could see it, and don't worry, I'd be able to see it shortly, and if not call back in 72 hours.

96 hours go by and no redeposit. This morning I called again. The agent I spoke with could see no indication that the Avios had been requested, so he told me he was doing it "now". When I told him they weren't in my account, he told me to wait 48 hours and call back.

1. Why was I charged $75 in service fees and do I have any prayer of a refund for this?
2. How do I get my Avios back? I found one thread where someone mentioned that they had to call 3 times and ask for a manager. Do I just wait the 48 hours for my 3rd call, call back and ask for a manager?
Old Jan 18, 2016, 9:34 am

Programs: Ex-BA/AA/CP/LY staff, BA Executive Club Blue, IHG Diamond, Marriott Silver, Chick-fil-A Red
1) Yes. Be polite but persistant. If you really canx online, then the offline fees shouldn't have been deducted. It'll have to be sent back to refunds for processing, which will take some time, but this should be easy to get arranged.

2) Yes. Probably best to politely request the call be escalated for both issues, because so far you've had the run around. There is no 'shortly' with Avios redeposits - they either go in or they don't. If the agent thinks it's pending, it's actually failed. Occasionally, some redeposits continue to fail and an ex-gratia has to be requested, which will also take time, but there is probably still something instant that can be attempted first.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.