Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

WW says BA may purchase 2nd-hand Airbus A380s

Old Jan 18, 16, 8:17 am

Originally Posted by DYKWIA View Post
I think the seats are the same width as the current 3x4x3 in 777s. Coming soon to a BA plane near you
As someone upthread said, you pay your monies and all that....
Old Jan 18, 16, 8:36 am

Programs: BA, LH, VS, Hyatt, SPG
It would be very expensive to bring back retired 747s into service (and previously grounded aircraft have shown to be quite troublesome). I think IAG is more likely to defer the retirement of the existing 747 fleet.
Old Jan 18, 16, 8:51 am
McG

Programs: BAEC

Very unlikely to be any of BA's old 747's. The majority of these have met an unfortunate end at the hands of a mechanical digger.
Old Jan 18, 16, 8:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BAEC LT Gold, HH Dia, MR LT Plat, IC RA, Kimpton Inner Circle, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by MeltingAlf View Post
Well yes, but one can't expect Aldi to be Waitrose or vice versa. And price becomes quite an important factor if one is to focus on volume, but as we can see it always brings down service levels, like an ever-expanding ANA vs a smaller JAL and their divergent profit and volume paths.
I would argue that it isn't coincidence that Waitrose et al have been gaining customers as Aldi etc. have been growing. It could be argued that Tesco etc. has simplistically focussed upon the value end of the market to counter the perceived threat from the discounters whilst ignoring the fact that this turns off many customers who wouldn't be seen dead shopping at Aldi.

In effect the Tesco approach to focus upon price has pushed away high margin customers to upper end competitors and concentrated dependency upon very price sensitive customers. You can clearly see the argument that this is exactly what BA has been doing too and with similar consequences.
Old Jan 18, 16, 9:02 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
You could envisage additional 777-300ERs as a bridge to an order for the 777-9, not that I'm expecting that to happen given the order for the A350-1000
Old Jan 18, 16, 9:41 am

Programs: BA Gold

Interesting thoughts.
I still think BA is just looking to broker some A380's on the cheap knowing that Airbus's order book is weak and the 747-8 is even worse (by the way I do not see BA taking 748-8's unless they are almost for free....)
It was well known early on the BA was very impressed with the operating costs of the 777-300 when compared to the 747-400 and other aircraft.. No surprise they might take a few more and get rid of a couple of 747-400's quicker if the price is right.....
FD
Old Jan 18, 16, 9:52 am

Programs: BA Blue
Originally Posted by Land-of-Miles View Post
I would argue that it isn't coincidence that Waitrose et al have been gaining customers as Aldi etc. have been growing. It could be argued that Tesco etc. has simplistically focussed upon the value end of the market to counter the perceived threat from the discounters whilst ignoring the fact that this turns off many customers who wouldn't be seen dead shopping at Aldi.

In effect the Tesco approach to focus upon price has pushed away high margin customers to upper end competitors and concentrated dependency upon very price sensitive customers. You can clearly see the argument that this is exactly what BA has been doing too and with similar consequences.
Speaking as someone who shops at both Waitrose and Aldi, the former isn't the store it was once and you might be surprised at some of the quality to be found at the latter!
Old Jan 18, 16, 9:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Originally Posted by zeltergiset View Post
But does BA actually have a need for 12 more big planes right now? What would it do with them?
I was told the problem was obtaining pilots, not planes or even slots!
Old Jan 18, 16, 10:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by Flying Doctor View Post
It was well known early on the BA was very impressed with the operating costs of the 777-300 when compared to the 747-400 and other aircraft.. No surprise they might take a few more and get rid of a couple of 747-400's quicker if the price is right.....
And it's not just the cost side. Although I'd heard it said that the cargo capacity of the 77W was one of its attractions, I didn't realise quite what that meant until seeing the last Capital Markets Day slideshow.

Last edited by Globaliser; Feb 27, 19 at 9:25 am
Old Jan 18, 16, 10:12 am

Programs: SQ & QF
Originally Posted by Sixth Freedom View Post
I agree. I cannot really see BA flying second hand!
Take a look at the LGW A320's

Originally Posted by toothy View Post
I'd imagine if the engines are that inefficient, BA can talk to RR about replacing them or just the fan blades. A lot of airlines sign up with RR for this, as by putting in up to date fan blades, they can increase fuel efficiency by 1% to 2% (depending on how old the original ones are). As you can imagine, 1% improvement is a lot of fuel saved.

T
The aircraft at SQ are overweight and its not the engines causing the problem.

Originally Posted by MPH1980 View Post
4th is in long term storage.
There is something wrong with that 747-8 in storage. It was meant for LH at first but they rejected it and wouldn't take delivery. Its even got the basic LH colours.
Old Jan 18, 16, 10:57 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
Image removed at original author's request

Originally Posted by Globaliser View Post
And it's not just the cost side. Although I'd heard it said that the cargo capacity of the 77W was one of its attractions, I didn't realise quite what that meant until seeing the last Capital Markets Day slideshow, which included this:-
A330 5 pallets A350 9 pallets + 2 spare engines each?

Last edited by LTN Phobia; Mar 1, 19 at 6:54 am
Old Jan 18, 16, 11:05 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by kanderson1965 View Post
A330 5 pallets A350 9 pallets + 2 spare engines each?
Somebody made a mistake! ForB744 and both A330 / A350...Maybe they always have A340 in mind?
Old Jan 18, 16, 11:27 am

Programs: Mucci de la Cuisine Aérienne du Réseau Courte Durée de British Airways
Deleted

Last edited by Littlegirl; Jan 18, 16 at 11:44 am
Old Jan 18, 16, 11:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by chongcao View Post
Somebody made a mistake!
No, I think it was just a cost-cutting measure to use a smaller number of aircraft outlines in the document, and to hell with accuracy.
Old Jan 18, 16, 11:48 am
BOH

Programs: IC Hotels Spire, BA Gold
Originally Posted by Littlegirl View Post
That is IAG figures, Iberia have 330s.
And A340s. Quite a few...24 in operation so they are currently the second biggest operator after LH.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: