Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

WW says BA may purchase 2nd-hand Airbus A380s

WW says BA may purchase 2nd-hand Airbus A380s

Old Jan 18, 16, 5:19 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by DYKWIA View Post
Yes, it's been very quiet on that front.
^
Old Jan 18, 16, 5:19 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by Globaliser View Post
Is that the two days at Thanksgiving?
Ahhh yes exactly that! Managed to find THREE Avios F to LAX, and was surprised to see limited flights

Grabbed them on the 77W

Also lots of West Coast F availability around Thanksgiving
Old Jan 18, 16, 5:21 am

Programs: BA, TK, HHonours, Le Club, Best Western Rewards
Originally Posted by zeltergiset View Post
I always think it's instructive to look at the leasing firms. As far as I am aware, Amedeo is the only lessor to place orders for A380s (20, the first of which is due to be delivered this year), but it cannot find any potential customers. It even has a glossy page on its website peddling them - http://www.amedeo.aero/a380/

Unfortunately for Airbus, the A380 seems like a plane that only makes sense for a handful of airlines - at its current price at least. But BA is obviously a prime candidate with its slot constraints. Would BA lease? I am not sure of IAG's strategy on leasing v buying.
Even when they buy as far as I am aware there is some kind of asset backed financing coming from banks, if you recall the BBC documentary on BA, you had WW signing a financing agreement with a Chinese Bank.
Old Jan 18, 16, 5:27 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
That Amedeo a380 looks horrendous. 11 across in Y and even W is 8 across upstairs.

I'd be interested to know more about F & J.
Old Jan 18, 16, 5:30 am

Originally Posted by Sixth Freedom View Post
I agree. I cannot really see BA flying second hand!
Where have most of the Gatwick fleet come from?
Old Jan 18, 16, 5:30 am

Programs: BA Bronze (OWR)
Here's a mock up of the 3-5-3 economy seating - https://www.runwaygirlnetwork.com/20...d-of-customer/

Yeesh
Old Jan 18, 16, 5:35 am

Originally Posted by zeltergiset View Post
Here's a mock up of the 3-5-3 economy seating - https://www.runwaygirlnetwork.com/20...d-of-customer/

Yeesh
That is appalling. It is a shame that (some) airlines would sink to such depths to pack as many people possible onto an aircraft.
Old Jan 18, 16, 5:37 am

Programs: BA Bronze (OWR)
Window seat: https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CCidrkeWYAAMtfM.jpg

The good news is Amedeo hasn't been able to find any customers for it. So I wonder if it might be convinced to drop this horrendous idea, if an airline like BA wants to lease?
Old Jan 18, 16, 5:40 am

Programs: LH Senator, AF Silver, BA Bronze
If it's an ex-Malaysian 380 can we please keep the seats?
Old Jan 18, 16, 5:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by rossmacd View Post
That is appalling. It is a shame that (some) airlines would sink to such depths to pack as many people possible onto an aircraft.
But that is a consequence of what many people want: to fly as cheaply as possible. Why is that "appalling"? Should airlines be acting as the moral guardians of some standard for minimum personal space per passenger, and dictating to passengers that they must pay more money for that privilege?

It was interesting to see from the article that (a) Airbus is not raising the cabin floor to achieve this, as had previously been the plan; and (b) the seats themselves remain nominally 18" wide (compared to the 787's 16.9").
Old Jan 18, 16, 5:45 am

Interesting indeed. I do indeed think that the MH A380's would be those that they are looking at. MH is in a mess so will want to get rid of them and BA could get a decent deal.

The original A380's that are around 7-8 years old are not that fuel efficient and BA just will not want them.

What I suspect is that this is also tacit pressure on Airbus to negotiate on the A380 price. The order book isn't that great with many airlines cancelling or reducing the orders. BA will know that and therefore will use this to negotiate..

FD.
Old Jan 18, 16, 5:45 am

Programs: A3 *G
But that is a consequence of what many people want: to fly as cheaply as possible. Why is that "appalling"? Should airlines be acting as the moral guardians of some standard for minimum personal space per passenger, and dictating to passengers that they must pay more money for that privilege?

It was interesting to see from the article that (a) Airbus is not raising the cabin floor to achieve this, as had previously been the plan; and (b) the seats themselves remain nominally 18" wide (compared to the 787's 16.9").
How lovely the world would be if everyone built nice economy seats like JAL

I blame revenue management for terrible seats. If airlines only had values and refused to go down the slippery slope and earn less for a bit more reputation.
Old Jan 18, 16, 5:51 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold
UPDATE: BA in the market for Boeing 777-300ERs too! See original posting
Old Jan 18, 16, 5:56 am

Absolutely agree that is a consequence of many people wanting to fly as cheaply as possible. What I fail to understand is why people would put themselves through such conditions. Yes, I know it is about affordability vs market conditions, but surely a human being couldn't be comfortable in a 11-across A380?
Old Jan 18, 16, 5:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Worcester View Post
Aren't most of the Gatters fleet second hand (some ex LHR fleet, some from outside IAG entirely).
That will be my fact for the day!

Search this Thread
Search Engine: