Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Gold Guest List beginner's guide

Search this Thread

Old Feb 15, 2019, 1:09 pm

Programs: BA GGL, IB, LH, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by LTN Phobia
When I want to change the TA-booked flights using GUF after the outbound sectors have been flown, apparently the changes need to be made with BA according to TA, and here is a problem:

Booked in I, upgraded with GUF to A with TA.

No Z class availability (which is needed if I have to change the booking with BA) on the date I am changing to. No underlying I class availability either (the lowest fare class available in CW is C).

BA says that I have to pay the fare difference to the lowest available CW fare (C class), pay the change fee, and the use a Joker to release the A class.

I thought the underlying fare class didn't need to be available and only that it has to be within the fare validity (i.e. 28 day advance booking in this case as it's I...28)?

Does anyone know?
This is the way it works with a TA booking, yes, but now that it’s shifted to BA doing it they are applying their own rules, albeit in a bizarre way, which is book a valid CW world fare, have A availability and joker opens up the seat.

However, my own experience with changing the return leg of an INCEU60 AMS-BKK was that the change was accepted in CW I, and I was charged only the change fee, despite my travel date being less than 60 days out. The day I wanted to fly was open with A4 and I got 2 seats. This was on a BA booking.
Old Feb 15, 2019, 1:29 pm

Programs: BA GGL / GFL, Mucci Diamond!, HH Diamond, Radisson Premium, IHG Gold, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by mmxbreaks
I have a potentially unanswerable question. Since moving from Gold to GGL I seem to have been missed off certain 'perks', so wondering if the system doesn't have me marked up correctly?

1. On a few of the flights I've taken some GCHers have received a golden hello, whereas I have not (for any of the 12 since qualifying). No problem with that whatsoever - really don't need it - but thought it kind of odd to be selecting specific passengers only.
2. On the last two flights I've not had a blocked seat next to me. Yesterday's OPO-LGW had around 20 empty seats, many of which were blocked according to Seat Alerts, yet my neighbouring middle wasn't. Again, not a problem - kind of an expectation in the logic of travel! - but seems odd to be blocking seats and leaving a large number unfilled, including a full exit row.

I'm probably being crazy needy or something, but I've had, er, 'miscategorisation issues' before - namely being on a CW flight a couple of years back and entirely ignored for food until I went to ask in the galley, they 'thought I was staff' apparently - and wouldn't want to miss out on possible opup/blocked seat perks in the future, which I value greatly.

I often start with a blocked seat but then end up with someone next to me, even when there are seats fully open on ExpertFlyer. One of the more recent ones was with someone who told me it was their first flight on BA so she certainly wouldn't have been a Gold - and it was an E seat on shorthaul so hardly a desirable seat! I also see other seats still blocked on EF when the one next to me has been taken. I don't know whether Bronze or Silvers are meant to unblock first and I assume that Gold and GGL are treated the same by TS?? Seat blocking certainly isn't foolproof in my experience.

I've also seen Gold greetings where i haven't received one, but then on my most recent ET flight earlier this week, I was the only one to be greeted and I know that there were Golds in the cabin.. I suspect that you may just be expecting something different from Gold which really tends not to happen in my experience.
Old Feb 15, 2019, 2:20 pm

Programs: VS Silver, BA Blue - finally; but hotels.com Gold :)
When I want to change the TA-booked flights using GUF after the outbound sectors have been flown, apparently the changes need to be made with BA according to TA, and here is a problem:

Booked in I, upgraded with GUF to A with TA.

No Z class availability (which is needed if I have to change the booking with BA) on the date I am changing to. No underlying I class availability either (the lowest fare class available in CW is C).

BA says that I have to pay the fare difference to the lowest available CW fare (C class), pay the change fee, and the use a Joker to release the A class.

I thought the underlying fare class didn't need to be available and only that it has to be within the fare validity (i.e. 28 day advance booking in this case as it's I...28)?

Does anyone know?
First up, I don't know. I've never been 100% clear who owns the booking after outbound in a TA + GUF type situation. I've certainly had cases where GGL tell me no can do, and request I speak to the TA. Of those cases, even if the TA was able to work a compromise the GUF aspects were lost (which I didn't press - as rightly or wrongly I believe it a time of booking thing).
In your case the situation doesn't look bright at all, I really don't see a way through unless BA admit they own the booking and (less extortionate) D1 or R1 pop up at some later point.
One case of mine (moved to later day) found me abandoning the original ticket and limping home in (paid) Y after various FFpoints routings fell by the wayside.
Old Feb 15, 2019, 10:32 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Originally Posted by littlefish
First up, I don't know. I've never been 100% clear who owns the booking after outbound in a TA + GUF type situation. I've certainly had cases where GGL tell me no can do, and request I speak to the TA. Of those cases, even if the TA was able to work a compromise the GUF aspects were lost (which I didn't press - as rightly or wrongly I believe it a time of booking thing).
In your case the situation doesn't look bright at all, I really don't see a way through unless BA admit they own the booking and (less extortionate) D1 or R1 pop up at some later point.
One case of mine (moved to later day) found me abandoning the original ticket and limping home in (paid) Y after various FFpoints routings fell by the wayside.
You have my sympathy! While I was faffing, even C seat disappeared! So BA no longer could do anything because there was nothing underlying to book onto

Trying to work out what to do now!
Old Feb 16, 2019, 3:54 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: LH HON, BA GGL, AF Plat, EK Plat
BA can and will take over pet flown guf ta ticket

https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb...d-card-upgrade

you don’t need underlying fare class available only the upgraded class.
rossmacd likes this.
Old Feb 16, 2019, 4:42 am

Originally Posted by nufnuf77
BA can and will take over pet flown guf ta ticket

https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb...d-card-upgrade

you don’t need underlying fare class available only the upgraded class.
They say they do need the underlying fare class though.

Meanwhile during the run-around the upgraded class also got full so I changed the date again, but lacking in Z, and also lacking in A on the preferred flight, and BA suggested I go back to the TA to get the A (rather than Z) on the replacement date

Still ongoing. In the worst case I'll have BA process a Joker and get me the A seat on the alternative flight. I wasn't quite expecting it to get quite so complicated! I think I've spent a couple of hours talking, holding on the phone etc. Never mind.

I shall post the eventual outcome.
Old Feb 16, 2019, 6:30 pm

Right! The outcome is that the TA made the change in the end, after being told by BA to try the TA again, the TA getting on the phone to BA, and sorting it out.
Old Feb 16, 2019, 8:02 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: LH HON, BA GGL, AF Plat, EK Plat
They say they do need the underlying fare class though.

Meanwhile during the run-around the upgraded class also got full so I changed the date again, but lacking in Z, and also lacking in A on the preferred flight, and BA suggested I go back to the TA to get the A (rather than Z) on the replacement date

Still ongoing. In the worst case I'll have BA process a Joker and get me the A seat on the alternative flight. I wasn't quite expecting it to get quite so complicated! I think I've spent a couple of hours talking, holding on the phone etc. Never mind.

I shall post the eventual outcome.
from when I was changing it it was all about whether tha fare basis was valid (for adding stopover or introducing open jaw) but I didn’t need the underlying fare class on the new flight.
Old Feb 20, 2019, 1:36 am
Suspended

Curious to hear more from members.

As we know, when you qualify for GGL, you receive the 1 x Gold and 2 x Silver Nominations. I've seen it said here that you will receive nominations upon qualification, and also, upon renewal of your membership year... Can anyone confirm if that is still happening to them, as I'd be interested to see some recent data points.

Thank you all,
Old Feb 20, 2019, 1:40 am

Programs: BAEC GGL
I got mine on initial qualification at 5000tp, then nothing when my membership year reset first time, then got them again on the next years reset. They didn’t appear automatically, so I had to call the ggl line to look into it.
Markie likes this.
Old Feb 20, 2019, 1:41 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by AUHDXB
Curious to hear more from members.

As we know, when you qualify for GGL, you receive the 1 x Gold and 2 x Silver Nominations. I've seen it said here that you will receive nominations upon qualification, and also, upon renewal of your membership year... Can anyone confirm if that is still happening to them, as I'd be interested to see some recent data points.

Thank you all,
There hasn’t been any change in partner cards other than the reported issue of the best time to nominate people. I got a new set to give back in early December after my membership year end date.

do you mean do folks get a set of partner cards immediately upon first qualification to GGL and then another set only a few weeks/months later past there year end date? Unlike jokers I don’t think you do get a double set to give in close proximity on first qualifying for GGL.
Old Feb 20, 2019, 3:51 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by KARFA
do you mean do folks get a set of partner cards immediately upon first qualification to GGL and then another set only a few weeks/months later past there year end date? Unlike jokers I don’t think you do get a double set to give in close proximity on first qualifying for GGL.
Yep, exactly. I have seen it mentioned in a few places, online and offline, of this happening, so I was interested to see if it was indeed a "hidden" benefit. I didn't try it myself, but was just curious to see what the others in the hive were seeing...
Old Feb 20, 2019, 4:42 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by AUHDXB
Yep, exactly. I have seen it mentioned in a few places, online and offline, of this happening, so I was interested to see if it was indeed a "hidden" benefit. I didn't try it myself, but was just curious to see what the others in the hive were seeing...
Ah that's interesting. Where have you seen it mentioned that you do get two sets of cards to give?

I was talking to someone on Monday who is soon to become a GGL. Casting my mind back to when I became one I am sure I didn't get two sets within a few months. Also having a look at the reference posts at the start of this guide put together by dylanks it seems to be confirmed:

Also note that when you first qualify for GGL, you will not receive a new batch of partner cards until you qualify again for GGL. So reaching GGL right before the end of your tier point year will not earn you double the number of partner cards in a short stretch of time.
Old Feb 22, 2019, 6:32 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, MH Platinum, SPG Plat75
Could I pick collective wisdom. Currently am GGL/CCR member and my collection year ends on 8th March 2019. I am flying into LHR from SIN in F having used a GF1 upgrade arriving on the 8th March. If I am given 240 points I will have 5,060 points for the year end and renew CCR status, but as I used GF1 should I only get 160 points? thus ending year with 4,980 and no CCR status.

FYI I booked directly with BA rather than using travel agent and was given 240 points for the original LHR-SIN leg.
Old Feb 22, 2019, 6:50 am

Programs: BA GGL, TK E (*G), ITA exec
You should only receive 160 TPs.
Using a GUF doesn't entitle to receive the upgraded class points. I would plan accordingly if I was you.
Brookhouse likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.