Gold Guest List beginner's guide

Old Jul 3, 2018, 9:03 pm

Programs: BA GGL, Bonvoy Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
As GGL is the Avios flight cancellation fee also waived for others travelling on the same itinerary? What if the GGL member has made the redemption but is not travelling?

Thanks for the clarification!
Old Jul 3, 2018, 9:09 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
Originally Posted by wuileng
As GGL is the Avios flight cancellation fee also waived for others travelling on the same itinerary? What if the GGL member has made the redemption but is not travelling?

Thanks for the clarification!
Yes to both questions.
wuileng likes this.
Old Jul 12, 2018, 9:13 am

Programs: BA GGL, Gold for life
So I am GGL and am planning to use a joker for a flight for 5 for next summer. I have previously used both my 2 for 1 Amex voucher as well as my wife’s 2 for 1 Amex voucher when doing a joker booking, I presume this is still available (and still can combine with GUFs too?). And secondly I currently only have one 2 for 1voucher but will have passed the 10k spending threshold for the other in the fourth quarter. I presume it would be possible to book the whole trip with just one 2 for 1 voucher now and then amend the booking later to add the other 2 for 1 voucher when I have qualified given it’s free to cancel as a GGL and clearly the 5 seats should still be available as they would have been mine anyway.

let me know if any issues with my plan before I go ahead!

Old Jul 15, 2018, 7:33 am

Programs: BA GGL, Gold for life
Originally Posted by womble88
So I am GGL and am planning to use a joker for a flight for 5 for next summer. I have previously used both my 2 for 1 Amex voucher as well as my wifes 2 for 1 Amex voucher when doing a joker booking, I presume this is still available (and still can combine with GUFs too?). And secondly I currently only have one 2 for 1voucher but will have passed the 10k spending threshold for the other in the fourth quarter. I presume it would be possible to book the whole trip with just one 2 for 1 voucher now and then amend the booking later to add the other 2 for 1 voucher when I have qualified given its free to cancel as a GGL and clearly the 5 seats should still be available as they would have been mine anyway.

let me know if any issues with my plan before I go ahead!

No one attempted this before? Guess easiest thing would be to wait until my second 2 for 1 voucher on my wifes account is created and do it as one but thought above may be lower risk as I can save the seats rather than wait for Decemberish to do this.
Old Jul 17, 2018, 12:35 pm

Programs: BA Gold
I'll be hitting GGL/CCR for the first time this next month due to some out of the ordinary flying this year. I don't think I'll be able to hit 3,000 tier points next year, but we'll see.

My qualifying flight(s) are on Aug 1st and my year end is Aug 8th. As I understand it, I'll actually become GGL on the 3rd or so, and then have until the 8th to call in and use two jokers before they expire? Anything else I should do in those few days between qualifying and year end?
Old Jul 17, 2018, 1:13 pm

Programs: EL AL Matmid, BA Executive Club GfL, GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by Pocalypse
My qualifying flight(s) are on Aug 1st and my year end is Aug 8th. As I understand it, I'll actually become GGL on the 3rd or so, and then have until the 8th to call in and use two jokers before they expire?
I understand that jokers work differently: You get 2 when you first qualify, but DON'T then get new ones at the start of the first membership year after you qualify.
Old Jul 17, 2018, 1:21 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by mikebg
I understand that jokers work differently: You get 2 when you first qualify, but DON'T then get new ones at the start of the first membership year after you qualify.
I understood the guide differently. The way I read it is:

I'll get two jokers when I qualify on August 3rd. These expire August 8th.
I'll get a further two jokers on August 9th, these expire August 8th 2019.

The example in the first post seems to follow this logic.
Old Jul 31, 2018, 3:47 pm

Officially the CCR card is only valid for entry at LHR and JFK, no other locations are included.

The latest staff lounge access guide (was shown it in SIN) has the wording:

The Concorde Room Card​ does not grant entry​ into any​ other​ lounge (or lounge area) even though there may​ be a reference to ​Concorde Dining​ or Concorde Bar (for example at​ BOS, IAD, DXB &​ SIN)
Old Jul 31, 2018, 7:00 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Silver
Im curious: Can anyone explain the origin of the term joker?
Old Aug 1, 2018, 1:58 am

Programs: BA GGL

I'd like this verified too, as the one year I'll make GGL I'll be looking to use jokers twice over, once in the existing year, once in the full GGL year.
Old Aug 1, 2018, 2:01 am

Programs: GGL/CCR
Originally Posted by mmxbreaks
I'd like this verified too, as the one year I'll make GGL I'll be looking to use jokers twice over, once in the existing year, once in the full GGL year.
Can confirm this is correct - you get two on qualification (might take manual work as takes a few days for your CIV to update to 97 which allows BA to use them) and then a further two in the next year
Old Aug 1, 2018, 2:04 am

This is also my understanding and seems consistent with the T&Cs.

A Member shall be eligible for two Gold Guest List Redemption Rewards per Tier Point Collection Year starting on the date that the Member received an invitation to the Gold Guest List and was able to receive the Services

Gold Guest List Redemption Rewards must be used before the end of the Tier Point Collection Year in which the benefit was issued. No Gold Guest List Redemption Rewards may be carried over and any unused Gold Guest List Redemption Rewards will be lost if Membership of the Gold Guest List for whatever reason terminates

Did you ever get a definitive answer? Im in a similar position, will check with BA and report back.

edit: confirmed by teledude
Old Aug 1, 2018, 2:09 am

Originally Posted by teledude
Can confirm this is correct - you get two on qualification (might take manual work as takes a few days for your CIV to update to 97 which allows BA to use them) and then a further two in the next year
Ok, great.
My year is April 8th beginning/end. I anticipate hitting the 5000TP threshold post Cape Town, around mid-March 2019, so I should have around a month to use the first set (along with a GUF2 and 2-4-1 that's due to expire) for a 'budget' J/F trip to Japan.
The next lot I'm keen to use for J/F return to Sydney (also with a GUF2, assuming my Avios amounts all add up, eek), which I ought to be able to book from Mid-April 2019.
Then I'm GGL with CCR through end-of-May 2020 and doubt I'll maintain the 3000TP/year as it doesn't seem that worthwhile to me (those two trips above will drain something around 600K Avios, leaving me fairly dry of such currency) and without CCR access at the 3K mark I struggle to see much of a benefit.
Excited to try out the benefits for my one-off year though...!
Old Aug 1, 2018, 2:12 am

That does bring me to another question, thinking about it.
If there's no Avios availability then a joker, in essence, creates this. I assume, therefore, that applying a 2-4-1 and GUF2 via BA for any joker booking will never be an issue?
Thanks!
Old Aug 1, 2018, 2:14 am

Programs: GGL/CCR
Originally Posted by mmxbreaks
That does bring me to another question, thinking about it.
If there's no Avios availability then a joker, in essence, creates this. I assume, therefore, that applying a 2-4-1 and GUF2 via BA for any joker booking will never be an issue?
Thanks!
You can only "joker" a flight that has availability in the right bucket (A/D) and hasn't already had one applied by another GGL

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.