Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Gold Guest List beginner's guide

Search this Thread

Old Sep 17, 2017, 2:27 am

Programs: BA GGL
Originally Posted by KARFA
No, the jokers don't show up on your BAEC homepage or anywhere else on BA.com. I usually just keep a note myself of when I use them.
Thanks, KARFA. Memory obviously playing tricks.
Old Sep 17, 2017, 2:56 am

Programs: BA, AA, SQ, UA, AC, WS, MR TIT
A friend of mine asked me about how to get GGL economically without aiming for CCR.

His discussion was informative. He said if someone aim to get GGL in one year then he needs 5k tier points and another 3k points to renew. That's a total of 8k tier points.

However, if he gets it in two years time frame then he will need only 6k tier points, that is a saving of money cost of 2k tier points.

Does anyone agree with above logic?
Old Sep 17, 2017, 2:59 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by NA-Flyer
A friend of mine asked me about how to get GGL economically without aiming for CCR.

His discussion was informative. He said if someone aim to get GGL in one year then he needs 5k tier points and another 3k points to renew. That's a total of 8k tier points.

However, if he gets it in two years time frame then he will need only 6k tier points, that is a saving of money cost of 2k tier points.

Does anyone agree with above logic?
I am afraid that isn't possible. It used to be that you could qualify for GGL by achieving 3k TPs in consecutive years, but that was removed around 2-3 years ago. Now the only way to achieve GGL is by getting 5k TPs in one year, and renewal can be done by achieving 3k TPs in subsequent years.

This is all detailed in the reference posts at the start of this guide.
Old Sep 17, 2017, 6:10 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
I usually just keep a note myself of when I use them.
I would second this especially if you earn extra ones throughout the year. I note the dates awarded, dates used and PNR on which they were used.
Old Sep 18, 2017, 1:10 pm

Programs: BA GGL
Originally Posted by Omba
Update.

Called GGL to query the original advice, and was told this had come up a lot recently. Was told that the initial refusal to use two different vouchers was because Amex were insisting on the terms of the voucher being met, principally that the taxes were paid by the card associated with the voucher. (This had not happened to me previously though, when not using a Joker, hence the possible confusion)

However, this has been clarified in the last month, and the combination of my being GGL, but more importantly the fact of the HH account meant we could use both
Thanks to everyone who has helped with this. My situation is that I am in a HHA but my wife is the BAPP Amex card holder. I'm not a nominee on her account (as far as I know) and I remember that I was refused once when I attempted to use the extra award availability I see as a Gold to make a booking using her 2-for-1 vouchers for the reason someone cited above, i.e. the booking must be made by the voucher holder and that person must pay the taxes.

Sounds as though the situation with GGL is different so hopefully they'll let me do it.
Old Sep 20, 2017, 3:54 am

Programs: BA(GGL) QF LTS CX AM, Hilton Diamond, PPL(A)
Got 2 questions again:

1. Do you need all seats to be available in say D to use a joker to open up availability?
e.g would a joker be able to open up for 4 pax with EF only showing D3?

2. As mentioned before I will hit the magical 5,000 TP on 1 Jan. But my year ends 8 Jan. If TP don't credit in time, does that means I lose my 2 jokers for the current year?

Really can't wait to hit GGL because I have plenty of flights I want to book!
Old Sep 20, 2017, 4:13 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
Originally Posted by ermen
Got 2 questions again:

1. Do you need all seats to be available in say D to use a joker to open up availability?
e.g would a joker be able to open up for 4 pax with EF only showing D3?
The official line is that availability is required in D class for all passengers. It also seems that the UK POS is used for this figure even if the ticket and flights originate from somewhere other than the UK.
Old Sep 20, 2017, 4:16 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond

2. As mentioned before I will hit the magical 5,000 TP on 1 Jan. But my year ends 8 Jan. If TP don't credit in time, does that means I lose my 2 jokers for the current year?
Yes, that is correct. You would only have a few days to use them before they expire. If this is a BA flight which will take you over the threshold I usually find they take at most 48 hrs to post but more typically around 24 hrs.
Old Sep 20, 2017, 4:28 am

Yes, that is correct. You would only have a few days to use them before they expire. If this is a BA flight which will take you over the threshold I usually find they take at most 48 hrs to post but more typically around 24 hrs.
Yeah im taking a partner (MH) flight. They normally credit within 48 hours. But have taken 2 weeks too!
Old Sep 20, 2017, 4:39 pm

Programs: AA,CX, BA, Priority Club, SPG, Hilton
I just qualified for GGL in Sept for the first time. it took 24 hours to show over 5k, then another 24 hours to show GGL on "my" system. When I called to apply for Joker, once the agent did all the work, then he came back saying my joker is not ready yet, he said one system showed I was GGL, but the other said not, asked me if I am recently attained GGL, I said yes. He saved everything on the system (upgraded flights), and asked me to call back the following Monday. Of course, no problem the next time I called. So it potentially need 48 hours?

On a side note, for those base in US, there IS a US GGL line, you don't have to call UK. Two phone agents gave me UK number saying there was no GGL line for US, however, I wrote to them, they replied me with US GGL line, and I tried, yes! "welcome to british airways executive club for gold guest list member...."
Old Sep 20, 2017, 7:58 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA (GGL G4L), AA (Gold), HH (Diamond); Marriott (Gold)
Originally Posted by golfmad
The official line is that availability is required in D class for all passengers. It also seems that the UK POS is used for this figure even if the ticket and flights originate from somewhere other than the UK.
Yes, though in my experience they can ask revenue management to open up the seats.

Originally Posted by Fly2Where
I just qualified for GGL in Sept for the first time. it took 24 hours to show over 5k, then another 24 hours to show GGL on "my" system. When I called to apply for Joker, once the agent did all the work, then he came back saying my joker is not ready yet, he said one system showed I was GGL, but the other said not, asked me if I am recently attained GGL, I said yes. He saved everything on the system (upgraded flights), and asked me to call back the following Monday. Of course, no problem the next time I called. So it potentially need 48 hours?

On a side note, for those base in US, there IS a US GGL line, you don't have to call UK. Two phone agents gave me UK number saying there was no GGL line for US, however, I wrote to them, they replied me with US GGL line, and I tried, yes! "welcome to british airways executive club for gold guest list member...."
It's a US phone number, but calls are routed to the same team as the UK number. The magical powers of VOIP and modern telephony.
Old Sep 20, 2017, 10:21 pm

Programs: AA,CX, BA, Priority Club, SPG, Hilton
Originally Posted by dylanks

It's a US phone number, but calls are routed to the same team as the UK number. The magical powers of VOIP and modern telephony.
Yes. At least no long distance call make a difference to me also, all 4 of my bookings got upgraded using jokers, including lhr hkg with 0 A fare on a380 flight, after being upgraded, only 2F 0A left!! I was surprised they willing to open seat for my upgrade.
Old Sep 21, 2017, 3:32 am

Wasn't there some talk that GGL line is not allowed to call Rev Mgmt to open up seats?
Or was that just a rumour?
Old Sep 21, 2017, 3:50 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Wasn't there some talk that GGL line is not allowed to call Rev Mgmt to open up seats?
Or was that just a rumour?
They must call Revenue Management to confirm the upgrade. The variation in A availability might be related to the PoS of the traveller.
Old Oct 3, 2017, 6:23 am

Programs: EL AL Matmid, BA Executive Club GfL, GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, Avis President's Club
Last year I made a two silver nominations. One of them expires in May 2018 (call him Fred). My GGL year starts/ends 8th October. I should then get one gold and two silver nominations. If I don't noiminate Fred this time round (on October 9th) and nominate someone else instead. will Fred still keep his silver until May 2018, or will it immediately cease?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.