Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Gold Guest List beginner's guide

Search this Thread

Old Dec 12, 2018, 6:57 pm

Programs: SK EBG, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by Keystone
My son is GGL and I’m Silver. We are not in the same household accounts and can’t be. Can I also be in his Family and friends account And be nominated for his gold partner account? His tier year ends in April and mine in August and he won’t be renewing GGL - how long would my gifted gold status last and when it finishes do I then revert to my own earned silver status?
Not sure about the first question - but if you are asking whether it is possible for a GGL member to add someone to their F&F list who is also in a separate household account the answer is I think "yes, but you may need to call to get this done".

Re: expiry dates, your BA gold card will be valid until the end of Sep 2020 (for the remainder of your current tier point year + one full year + to the end of the month after). The tier point year or your son has no relevance - as long of course as he gifts the card to you before his status expires!
Keystone likes this.
Old Dec 17, 2018, 10:47 am

Programs: BA GGL, CCR - TK G
Pre booking t5 spa

Good morning. I just called ggl to pre book a spa treatment flying in cw and they said it's only possible to pre book if I fly f?
According to the intro Ccr should be able to? Any news?
Old Dec 17, 2018, 11:01 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
Originally Posted by Vasco Pridat
Good morning. I just called ggl to pre book a spa treatment flying in cw and they said it's only possible to pre book if I fly f?
I thought it was only available when flying F but I'm not 100% sure. I've only ever booked something once and that was a very long time ago.
Old Dec 17, 2018, 11:11 am

Programs: BA GfL, GGL/CCR
Originally Posted by golfmad
I thought it was only available when flying F but I'm not 100% sure. I've only ever booked something once and that was a very long time ago.
that's my understanding as well. I was lucky once to pre-book when flying CW as GGL, but this was down to due to forecast delays in our itinerary.
Old Dec 17, 2018, 1:49 pm

Originally Posted by crazyarmadillo
that's my understanding as well. I was lucky once to pre-book when flying CW as GGL, but this was down to due to forecast delays in our itinerary.
Looking forward to 'dylanks' input.. Thbx
Old Dec 20, 2018, 3:56 am

Programs: BA GGL CCR GfL, SQ Gold, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, Cafe Nero Loyalty Card (7 Stamps)
"Cancellation of your booking more than 24 hours in advance of flight departure will result in a full refund of all Avios and taxes paid. Cancellation within 24 hours of departure time will forfeit the Avios paid. Cancellation after your current year end will result in the loss of your Gold Guest Space Release, so if you do need to cancel please make sure it's prior to your current year end in order to reuse your space release."

My ears pricked up during the usual spiel at the end of making a booking earlier. That last line is new, right? He was certainly emphasising the point.
Old Dec 20, 2018, 5:27 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA (GGL G4L), AA (Gold), HH (Diamond); Marriott (Gold)
Originally Posted by crazyarmadillo
Looking forward to 'dylanks' input.. Thbx
Unfortunately I do not have a definitive answer... I've had success and failures when prebooking while flying CW as GGL. My guess is that they tightened the rules at some point to limit prebookings to F.

I'm still having troubles editing the main post without breaking all of the links, which is why I've not made any updates in a long time to the initial post.
Vasco Pridat likes this.
Old Dec 30, 2018, 2:46 pm

Programs: BA GGL CCR GfL, SQ Gold, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, Cafe Nero Loyalty Card (7 Stamps)
Originally Posted by Wozza2404
"Cancellation of your booking more than 24 hours in advance of flight departure will result in a full refund of all Avios and taxes paid. Cancellation within 24 hours of departure time will forfeit the Avios paid. Cancellation after your current year end will result in the loss of your Gold Guest Space Release, so if you do need to cancel please make sure it's prior to your current year end in order to reuse your space release."

My ears pricked up during the usual spiel at the end of making a booking earlier. That last line is new, right? He was certainly emphasising the point.
Anyone?
Old Dec 30, 2018, 3:22 pm

Programs: BA GGL & CCR, AS Gold 75k, IHG Aspire, Marriott Titanium , National Exec Elite, Amex Plat
I don’t think that’s new at all. You are able to make out of year changes without using another joker but you don’t keep a joker if you cancel out of year. If that were the case you could easily make jokers last forever by booking and cancelling.
Old Dec 30, 2018, 3:26 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
Not all Gold Guest List redemptions are earned at the start of the year and therefore not all necessarily expire at the end of the membership year so the line you were quoted only applies to the two awarded at the start of your membership year.
Old Dec 30, 2018, 3:40 pm

Well if that wouldn't be the case you could prolong your redemption endlessly by canceling reservations every year...
Old Dec 31, 2018, 9:27 am

Not all Gold Guest List redemptions are earned at the start of the year and therefore not all necessarily expire at the end of the membership year so the line you were quoted only applies to the two awarded at the start of your membership year.
Aha! This make sense. Thanks.
Old Jan 1, 2019, 5:26 pm

Programs: BA GGL
I have a data point for the soft landing or otherwise of partner cards. My wife has my Gold partner card and I nominated her on 23 November 2017. Her year runs 8 November to 7 November so her status should be valid until the end of 2019, but with the known IT glitch it has actually expired as of the end of 2018. I am currently fighting a battle with BAEC to get the extra year of status she is entitled to, but because it didn't happen in time I can now confirm that she has NOT received a soft landing to Silver. She received a downgrade letter a few weeks ago saying "You didn't earn enough tier points to retain your Silver status" (my emphasis), and today her status in the app changed to Bronze and a lounge computer tried to refuse her access to the lounge.

Last edited by vindaloo; Jan 1, 2019 at 6:10 pm
Old Jan 2, 2019, 12:27 am

Programs: BAEC GGL
Originally Posted by vindaloo
I nominated her on 23 November 2017. Her year runs 8 November to 7 November so her status should be valid until the end of 2019, but with the known IT glitch it has actually expired as of the end of 2018. I am currently fighting a battle with BAEC to get the extra year of status she is entitled to
Wasn’t it recently established that the t&c’s actually state the gifted card uses card expiry date, rather than membership year, so a card gifted on 23/11 will only give 1 year, rather than 2? To get the 2 years, you would have to gift the card after 31/12 when the existing card expires. I have fallen foul of this too, and can confirm there was no soft landing either.
Old Jan 2, 2019, 1:31 am

Programs: BA(GGL) QF LTS CX AM, Hilton Diamond, PPL(A)
Originally Posted by vindaloo
I have a data point for the soft landing or otherwise of partner cards. My wife has my Gold partner card and I nominated her on 23 November 2017. Her year runs 8 November to 7 November so her status should be valid until the end of 2019, but with the known IT glitch it has actually expired as of the end of 2018. I am currently fighting a battle with BAEC to get the extra year of status she is entitled to, but because it didn't happen in time I can now confirm that she has NOT received a soft landing to Silver. She received a downgrade letter a few weeks ago saying "You didn't earn enough tier points to retain your Silver status" (my emphasis), and today her status in the app changed to Bronze and a lounge computer tried to refuse her access to the lounge.
Apparently it is not a bug. But its GGL now following the strict terms and conditions. So if you nominate between TP year end but before card expiry, you only get the benefit for another 12 months + a few weeks (Clause 8.3 of the T&C)

See the post below...

Originally Posted by Fitch
Thought I would share my recent experience of trying to "correct" an alleged bug in BA's systems where nomination for a partner card between end of Tier Point Collection Year and Membership Year End results in 12 months of Silver (or Gold) rather than 2 years.

Reputedly (in this forum), a simple call to the GGL would sort this out ... in reality nothing could be further from the truth

Last year, I nominated a member of my HHA for a Silver card. I did this on the first day of their new membership year (09/09) while they still had a Bronze card with expiry of 31/10. This was because they were due to fly during October and I wanted them to have lounge access etc. It all worked fine, card arrived in time and as expected had an expiry date of 31/10/18. Hence, taking note of the experiences related on here, I made a note for a year later (today) to call the GGL line and get the expiry extended a further 12 months.

Unfortunately, despite what might have happened in the past, this does not work (or perhaps no longer works).

A long telephone call followed my an exchange of emails referencing the GGL Ts&Cs (https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb...-list-benefits) resulted in a final position from BA as follows:

"... I do agree that in the Terms and Conditions that section 8.3 state that 'For Nominees who are existing Executive Club members, the discretionary British Airways Silver/Gold Card period shall begin from the date of acceptance by British Airways of the Nominee and last until the Nominee’s Membership Year End date and for the 12 month period thereafter.' However, in the terms and conditions Definitions section, the term 'Membership Year End' actually refers to and means the expiry date on the membership card.

As you nominated XXX after the 'Tier Point Collection Year' ended but not before the defined 'Membership Year End' XXX actually had the card for the agreed length of time. From 09th September 17 until 30th September 2017 (from nomination to year end) and then the subsequent membership year, bringing the expiry of the card to September 2018. The only way that XXX would have gotten the status until 2019 would be if you nominated him after 30th September.

I understand that there are online forums where this is thought to be a bug in the BA system but I can assure you this is not the case and the system will always nominate the member for the correct period of time.
"

And when you go back and read through the entire Ts&Cs the above statement is indeed true

So people should beware of relying upon anecdote, however well meant, as the published Ts&Cs are the canonical source !

Not a massive deal in this particular case as the person in question currently has zero Oneworld bookings but though people would like to know.

Takeaway: Nominate the day after their current membership card expires to get the longest time at Silver (or Gold)

Moral of the story: RTFM

Last edited by ermen; Jan 2, 2019 at 1:36 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.