Gold Guest List beginner's guide

Old Feb 3, 16, 1:56 pm

Programs: All of 'em
Excuse me if these questions were answered.
1) Can the joker be used if the AH isn't flying?
2) If using miles to book the joker, the cost is the regular mileage requirement?

TIA
Old Feb 3, 16, 2:04 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Yes, you can use your joker for other people, and for the same Avios requirement as normal bookings. Not many GGLs are in household accounts apparently, but the usual rules apply there. GGL cardholders can still use the Gold Priority Reward if they don't want to deploy a joker, and that's the usual double amount plus one month advance notice.
Old Feb 3, 16, 2:12 pm

Programs: Mucci; BA, LT GGL; QF, platinum; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by msm2000uk View Post
I'm cheating slightly, as I travel regularly with QR (which offers me double points).

Of my 11,000 TPs, circa 6,000 this year will be with QR, but I am doing an two F return trips a month so may even end up with more than 11,000 TPs...and a very very very unhappy wife!
My travels ended one marriage but happily since 1995 Mme Morges2 has been extremely understanding! The only problem is that she has just retired and we are eating through the reserve avios!
Old Feb 4, 16, 12:53 am

Programs: All of 'em
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave View Post
Yes, you can use your joker for other people, and for the same Avios requirement as normal bookings. Not many GGLs are in household accounts apparently, but the usual rules apply there. GGL cardholders can still use the Gold Priority Reward if they don't want to deploy a joker, and that's the usual double amount plus one month advance notice.
Even w/o a Household account, an Avios member can book a 3rd party ticket. So the account holder could book co-workers, for example, even without his flying on the flight.
Old Feb 4, 16, 3:21 am

Programs: Mucci; BA, LT GGL; QF, platinum; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Tobias-UK View Post
As I understand it, and I'm not quite there yet, with LTGGL you do have CCR access for life.
So as a follow up question - if 5,000TP normally gets a CCR card, do LTGGLs get an alternative award at 5,000?
Old Feb 4, 16, 3:38 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by morges1 View Post
So as a follow up question - if 5,000TP normally gets a CCR card, do LTGGLs get an alternative award at 5,000?
Nowt! You have to wait for 6000, 7000, 8000 and 9000 TPs for your next sweetener.

I still look miserably at my account as I see the perks disappear after I've passed 9000 TPs. At least now the rest count to LTGGL ... not long to go now
Old Feb 4, 16, 4:01 am
Moderator: Qatar Airways

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, QR Insider, SQ Gold, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
My travels ended one marriage but happily since 1995 Mme Morges2 has been extremely understanding! The only problem is that she has just retired and we are eating through the reserve avios!
My other half, like your Version 2, is understanding.

It's tough, and certainly not as fun/glamourous as some seem to think, but it allows for a comfortable lifestyle (in my line of work at least).

I should hit LTG by 2018 at the latest - LTGGL looks like a 7-9 year project, and that's assuming BA don't cut it!
Old Feb 4, 16, 4:14 am

Programs: BA GGL CCR, Marriott Ti, HH Diamond, Cafe Nero Loyalty Card
Originally Posted by msm2000uk View Post
My other half, like your Version 2, is understanding.

It's tough, and certainly not as fun/glamourous as some seem to think, but it allows for a comfortable lifestyle (in my line of work at least).

I should hit LTG by 2018 at the latest - LTGGL looks like a 7-9 year project, and that's assuming BA don't cut it!
See I only really started flying BA in 2012, and even then 2014 was the first year I moved the majority of my flights to One World, at the expense of EY. So basically LTGGL is 18 years of this kind of flying, and I'm in no hurry to chase that as in 18 years BAEC will likely look very, very different.

LTG is achievable in the next 4-5 years, but even then I'm not falling over myself to chase that perk, as it could easily be devalued by the time I get there.

As for the travel, I'm really glad I started this line of work before my kids were born. I can't imagine them coping well with a parent travelling as much as I do if they hadn't grown up with it from day 1.
Old Feb 4, 16, 5:43 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA (GGL), AA (statusless), HH (Diamond);
Originally Posted by KARFA View Post
They do indeed come separately.

EDIT: on reading the guide I can see why it may be unclear

You receive one pack with your GGL card & tags, and a separate letter which includes your CCR card.
Guide has been updated, thanks!

As I understand it, and I'm not quite there yet, with LTGGL you do have CCR access for life.
I've added a short LTGGL section at the end of the guide. I am unlikely to ever reach this level of flying, so if anyone has other details to add, please let me know.

I've added a point to the new LTGGL section that there is no alternative reward at 5,000 TP.
Old Feb 4, 16, 7:02 am

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold & GGL & CCR, HH Diam, Accor Sil, Black Cineworld Unlimited, Tastecard
I've had some experience with this but can I just check others' please.

looking to change a booking that was made by someone else (lower colour) for me - that should be free of charge, right?

any experiences on cancellation?
Old Feb 4, 16, 7:13 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by chris1979 View Post

looking to change a booking that was made by someone else (lower colour) for me - that should be free of charge, right?

Do you mean an Avios redemption?
Old Feb 4, 16, 7:55 am

Programs: BA GGL, AA LTP, Marriott (sigh) Plat Elite
not to tag on to his question but i do have the same question: i am GCH (stones thrwo from GGL and may be when this happens) but i need to book an avios redemption for my partner. i was advised by BA the cancellation would not be an issue--but in the event it needs to be changed, same question applies.

not sure if it helps that he is silver since i am the one who paid and used my account/avios.
Old Feb 4, 16, 8:08 am

Programs: Mucci, BA

The person who made the booking has to be GGL for free cancellation/changes. Regardless of the passenger, or passenger's status.
Old Feb 4, 16, 8:24 am

Programs: BAEC

Well from the other direction it is free when a GL member makes a booking for a non-GL member so my understanding is that the free changes flow from the status of the person making the booking, not from that of the passenger.
Old Feb 4, 16, 9:02 am

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold & GGL & CCR, HH Diam, Accor Sil, Black Cineworld Unlimited, Tastecard
yes.

Originally Posted by BA6501 View Post
The person who made the booking has to be GGL for free cancellation/changes. Regardless of the passenger, or passenger's status.
Originally Posted by TabTraveller View Post
Well from the other direction it is free when a GL member makes a booking for a non-GL member so my understanding is that the free changes flow from the status of the person making the booking, not from that of the passenger.
not sure that's right. whether official or not, I've been able to change a booking in the past that was for me (but not 'paid for' by me but by a blue / bronze). I also think it makes more sense that the travelling pax status is relevant as otherwise it would be a case of e.g. a blue having unlimited changes just because i booked the ticket for them.

Search this Thread