Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Gold Guest List beginner's guide

Search this Thread

Old Jun 15, 2017, 3:35 am

Programs: SK EBG, BAEC Gold
Well this (see above post) is really testing my patience now ... First missing Avios/TP request using the online web-page rejected - called up and was told to resubmit the claim as somehow the booking class field wasn't filled in. Tried that, but then got an error message saying that I could not make another claim for a flight where an earlier claim had been rejected! Called up again the agent told me he would put in the claim for me. Two days later the claim was rejected with the "We cannot verify you were on the flight - please send upload boarding pass" message .. Now uploaded and will wait a couple of weeks before trying BAMissingAvios as a final option.

Anyway, minor rant over - to the question relevant for this thread. Does anyone know whether the GGL benefit of no cancellation fee for Avios booking/changes applies only for bookings made as a GGL member, or does it also apply to bookings made before reaching this status level? Specifically, if I make a booking now (before my status level updates) - can I cancel it without fee later this year once the counter moves past 5000 TPs?
Old Jun 15, 2017, 3:40 am

Programs: BA GGL CCR GfL, SQ Gold, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, Cafe Nero Loyalty Card (7 Stamps)
Originally Posted by GinFizz
Anyway, minor rant over - to the question relevant for this thread. Does anyone know whether the GGL benefit of no cancellation fee for Avios booking/changes applies only for bookings made as a GGL member, or does it also apply to bookings made before reaching this status level? Specifically, if I make a booking now (before my status level updates) - can I cancel it without fee later this year once the counter moves past 5000 TPs?
You should be able to cancel your reward booking without charge once you're GGL regardless of when it was made.

Given the circumstances, and the fact you should be GGL, maybe calling the GGL Line might be the best option here and just explain it to them? They generally have a lot more clout than general call centre staff.
Old Jun 20, 2017, 9:36 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR
First time GGL and CCR

I've just made GGL. In the 10 months it took me I was only upgraded twice. Once on a long haul to First and once on a European flight to Business. In previous years when I typically would average 2,500 - 3,000 tier points I think I got upgraded more.

Will be interesting to see if anything changes but defo think BA has got a lot more stingy on upgrades. They've also got much worse in recognising Gold card holders once onboard.

Agree with all the comments... best thing about GGL will be the 2 x jokers.

Great guide by the way.
Old Jun 20, 2017, 9:39 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by elricardo
I've just made GGL. In the 10 months it took me I was only upgraded twice. Once on a long haul to First and once on a European flight to Business. In previous years when I typically would average 2,500 - 3,000 tier points I think I got upgraded more.

Will be interesting to see if anything changes but defo think BA has got a lot more stingy on upgrades. They've also got much worse in recognising Gold card holders once onboard.

Great guide by the way.
Welcome to FT.

Complimentary upgrades are not a benefit of GGL. Upgrades due to overbooked cabins sometimes involve upgrading based on the highest status person in that cabin, but sometimes other selection criteria are used.
Old Jun 20, 2017, 9:40 am

Programs: BA GGLfL
I have been GGL for years and nowadays rarely get upgrades. BA are certainly more stingy with them than they used to be
Old Jun 20, 2017, 9:43 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Lolbert
I have been GGL for years and nowadays rarely get upgrades. BA are certainly more stingy with them than they used to be
In the sense that upgrades generally are less common, or that upgrades are just as common but don't happen to go your way quite as much?
Old Jun 20, 2017, 9:45 am

Programs: BA GGLfL
I think upgrades are happening but less to GGLs than previously. I have no scientific evidence to prove this though
Old Jun 20, 2017, 10:08 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.

Great guide by the way.
Hello elricardo and I'd like to add my welcome to you too.

I agree with KARFA, upgrades are certainly not a published benefit of status and should only occur when operationally necessary for the airline based on cabin occupancy. As such it's very hard for an individual to come to a reasonable conclusion unless they are privy to the airline's operational requirements for the flight.

Personally, I have very little recent information to go on. I have received my fair share of upgrades in the past but almost all of my recent long travel has been ticketed in the highest cabin. Jokers are a wonderful thing.

I hope you enjoy your GGL status and we hope to see you posting in the future.
Old Jun 20, 2017, 12:00 pm

Programs: BA GGL/CCR
Originally Posted by golfmad
Hello elricardo and I'd like to add my welcome to you too.

I agree with KARFA, upgrades are certainly not a published benefit of status and should only occur when operationally necessary for the airline based on cabin occupancy. As such it's very hard for an individual to come to a reasonable conclusion unless they are privy to the airline's operational requirements for the flight.

Personally, I have very little recent information to go on. I have received my fair share of upgrades in the past but almost all of my recent long travel has been ticketed in the highest cabin. Jokers are a wonderful thing.

I hope you enjoy your GGL status and we hope to see you posting in the future.

Great to see an active community. Couple of other questions... 1) Out of interest does anyone know how common GGL actually is? 2) Does anyone have any further detail on the business class 'reset' BA are doing next year... what seats, service etc other than what BA has publically announced. It's long over due!
Old Jun 20, 2017, 12:43 pm

Programs: BA GGL, UA Plat, DL Plat, Hilton Diamond
Great to see an active community. Couple of other questions... 1) Out of interest does anyone know how common GGL actually is? 2) Does anyone have any further detail on the business class 'reset' BA are doing next year... what seats, service etc other than what BA has publically announced. It's long over due!
We are extremely common

Though not perhaps particularly numerous

Don't get me started on recognition...!!!

BA don't do:
  • recognition of high-value customers
  • priority baggage handling for elites
  • through-checking of luggage BA-BA on seperate tickets
  • service recovery
I could go on...

Based on this year's experience on MH and CX and AY and AA and RJ (!!!) none of whom admittedly are perfect but at least make a bloody effort, I intend to carry on directing funds (personal and client) anywhere but BA

Last edited by Fitch; Jun 20, 2017 at 12:51 pm
Old Jun 21, 2017, 10:02 am

Programs: BA GGL CCR GfL, SQ Gold, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, Cafe Nero Loyalty Card (7 Stamps)
My daughter (7) and son (4), the former having a gold card and the latter a silver, get far more recognition as status holders on board than I ever do.

Personally I'm more than OK with that. It all gets a bit cringe when they bring the (r)i(m)Pad round.

That said, I'm more than happy to be recognised during IRROPS...
Old Jun 21, 2017, 10:59 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by Fitch
Don't get me started on recognition...!!!

BA don't do:
  • recognition of high-value customers ...
Oh yes they do
Old Jun 21, 2017, 11:09 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by Tobias-UK
Oh yes they do
Indeed - but they often aren't GGLs?
Old Jun 21, 2017, 11:25 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by TabTraveller
Indeed - but they often aren't GGLs?
I'm sure you're right. We see from FT that quite a number earn their status (Gold/GGL) by embarking on a couple of epic TP runs, often on convoluted itineraries with carriers other than BA. Those who attain status that way are hardly 'high value' customers. BA know who their high value customers are, they know their travel patterns and they are recognised accordingly.
Old Jun 21, 2017, 11:47 am

Programs: BA GGL, UA Plat, DL Plat, Hilton Diamond
I seem to have been definitively one-upped

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.