Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Gold Guest List beginner's guide

Search this Thread

Old Mar 2, 2017, 6:30 am

Programs: BA GGL / GfL
Passing through T5 later today and forgot my CCR card, I presume the magic door will not let me pass and I'll have to go the long way around to plead my case? (And do they usually require much pleading?)

Thanks, Pilot37
Old Mar 2, 2017, 6:39 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA (GGL G4L), AA (Gold), HH (Diamond); Marriott (Gold)
Originally Posted by Pilot37
Passing through T5 later today and forgot my CCR card, I presume the magic door will not let me pass and I'll have to go the long way around to plead my case? (And do they usually require much pleading?)

Thanks, Pilot37
Just show your GGL card or mobile app and politely explain that you forgot your CCR card. They should be able to look you up on their list.

Also I keep a photo of the CCR card on my mobile which is sufficient as well (given that that card has no magnetic stripe, there's not much value in the physical card).

Last edited by dylanks; Mar 2, 2017 at 7:16 am
Old Mar 6, 2017, 12:51 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
Originally Posted by dylanks

Beyond 5,000 tier points

GGL earn extra GUFs based on tier points, beyond the 1 GUF2 and 2 GUF1 that are earned by Gold and GGL members at 2,500 and 3,500 TP, respectively

An additional joker/GGL redemption is earned at 6,000 TP.

At 7,000, 8,000 and 9,000 TP, you can choose one of the following:
  • 2 GUF1
  • Another GGL redemption (joker)
  • 50,000 Avios
I crossed 6,000 TPs a few weeks ago and called today to use my additional GGL redemption to be told by the GGL line that I needed to request it on passing 6,000. I explained two things; first of all I thought that was only for 7,000, 8,000 and 9,000 (as I've experienced in previous years) and second; that I had not received the email that offered me the choice that is normally reserved for the higher thresholds.

The lady on the line was adamant that my account didn't show my extra joker because I'd not requested it yet and that only this morning she had worked with another member to request their additional joker on crossing 6,000 points.

Has something changed in the last 12 months because I don't remember this happening in previous years?
Old Mar 6, 2017, 12:54 pm

Programs: Mucci, BA GGL/CCR
I don't think so; I think the additional joker (which shows in one's account rather confusingly as Gold Guest List Redemption (2)) is automatic. As you say, there is a choice of further benefit at the higher thresholds.

Originally Posted by golfmad
I crossed 6,000 TPs a few weeks ago and called today to use my additional GGL redemption to be told by the GGL line that I needed to request it on passing 6,000. I explained two things; first of all I thought that was only for 7,000, 8,000 and 9,000 (as I've experienced in previous years) and second; that I had not received the email that offered me the choice that is normally reserved for the higher thresholds.

The lady on the line was adamant that my account didn't show my extra joker because I'd not requested it yet and that only this morning she had worked with another member to request their additional joker on crossing 6,000 points.

Has something changed in the last 12 months because I don't remember this happening in previous years?
Old Mar 6, 2017, 1:00 pm

Originally Posted by Mike P
I don't think so; I think the additional joker (which shows in one's account rather confusingly as Gold Guest List Redemption (2)) is automatic. As you say, there is a choice of further benefit at the higher thresholds.
Ok that's what I thought. I'm showing that I've earned all Gold Gest List benefits including Gold Guest List Redemption (2) but she said it wasn't showing on my account and had to be requested so she was unable to apply it yet. Sounds like the agent got it wrong although I called during UK hours and didn't seem to get redirected offshore.
Old Mar 6, 2017, 1:13 pm

As far as I know, jokers are tracked manually on an Excel spreadsheet. It may be the case that the link between you earning GGLR (2) and the availability of it appearing on the spreadsheet broke down somehow?

Ok that's what I thought. I'm showing that I've earned all Gold Gest List benefits including Gold Guest List Redemption (2) but she said it wasn't showing on my account and had to be requested so she was unable to apply it yet. Sounds like the agent got it wrong although I called during UK hours and didn't seem to get redirected offshore.
Old Mar 6, 2017, 1:35 pm

Originally Posted by Mike P
As far as I know, jokers are tracked manually on an Excel spreadsheet. It may be the case that the link between you earning GGLR (2) and the availability of it appearing on the spreadsheet broke down somehow?
That's right, it's on Gavin's PC or Gareth or some such isn't it. I just wanted to clarify that nothing had changed. It sounds like that's the case and it was just duff information from the agent.
Old Mar 6, 2017, 1:49 pm

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL (OWE), SA LifePlat (*G), BD Gold to the end, Hilton Diamond
That's right, it's on Gavin's PC or Gareth or some such isn't it. I just wanted to clarify that nothing had changed. It sounds like that's the case and it was just duff information from the agent.
Not so sure about duff informnation. I had to request the extra joker at 6000 too. I wanted to use it for a redemption and it wasn't there to use. A debate ensued as to whether it should be there and the conclusion was that it wasn't because I hadn't requested it. While the intention might be that the joker is allocated automatically, previous discussions on this issue would indicate that you shouldn't assume that it has allocated.
Old Mar 6, 2017, 1:51 pm

Originally Posted by gcuk
Not so sure about duff informnation. I had to request the extra joker at 6000 too. I wanted to use it for a redemption and it wasn't here to use. A debate ensued as to whether it should be there and the conclusion was that it wasn't because I hadn't requested it. While the intention might be that the joker is allocated automatically, previous discussions on this issue would indicate that you shouldn't assume that it has been.
Hmmm that's interesting as that matches the information given to me on the phone today. As Mike P points out, it shows GGLR (2) in my account so exactly what is it that has to be requested? It's very odd.
Old Mar 6, 2017, 11:29 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold/GGL, IHG Diamond AMB
Hello *dips toe in water* - well that was some work travel and TP year still a month to run but now GGL!

Thank you dylanks for the guide too - and maybe see some of you in the CCR - hopefully get to try the JFK one next month
Old Mar 10, 2017, 7:57 am

Programs: BA Gold-Virgin Gold-Delta MM-Hilton Diamond-Hyatt Globalist-Marriott Gold-IHG Plat Amb-Accor Nobody
Order of use for Avios, Upgrade, Companion

Not sure if I should post this here, another thread, or a new thread. So apologies if here is not correct ...

Just made a GGL booking for me and my wife, MIA - LHR - HKG - LHR - MIA.

Booked in to WTP with Avios, upgraded with eVoucher and companion pass used.

The agent, very nicely, INSISTED, that the order is WTP with Avios, Companion Pass, then Gold Upgrade for 2 !

I was under the impression it could/should be WTP with Avios, Gold Upgrade for 1, then Companion Pass ?

Who is correct ?

FC was close to impossible on any dates that worked for us, so I grabbed these knowing I can re-visit options after the 8th when I get me Jokers then we'll look at booking in to CW and upgrading to FC. Same question will still arise, Upgrade for 1 or 2 ?
Old Mar 10, 2017, 8:01 am

If there are two of you traveling, you need to use the GUF2. Here in the UK if using the combination of AMEX 241 and GUF the order would be Avios, AMEX 241 then GUF2.
Old Mar 10, 2017, 8:12 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by BritBoyInFL
Not sure if I should post this here, another thread, or a new thread. So apologies if here is not correct ...

Just made a GGL booking for me and my wife, MIA - LHR - HKG - LHR - MIA.

Booked in to WTP with Avios, upgraded with eVoucher and companion pass used.

The agent, very nicely, INSISTED, that the order is WTP with Avios, Companion Pass, then Gold Upgrade for 2 !

I was under the impression it could/should be WTP with Avios, Gold Upgrade for 1, then Companion Pass ?

Who is correct ?

FC was close to impossible on any dates that worked for us, so I grabbed these knowing I can re-visit options after the 8th when I get me Jokers then we'll look at booking in to CW and upgrading to FC. Same question will still arise, Upgrade for 1 or 2 ?
If there are two travelling you need a GUF covering two people (either a GUF2 or 2xGUF1). All the companion voucher does is mean you pay avios for one person rather than two. For your example you would pay the avios for one person for WTP and use the GUF2 to upgrade both of you to CW.
Old Mar 10, 2017, 8:15 am

Programs: BA Gold-Virgin Gold-Delta MM-Hilton Diamond-Hyatt Globalist-Marriott Gold-IHG Plat Amb-Accor Nobody
Originally Posted by KARFA
If there are two travelling you need a GUF covering two people (either a GUF2 or 2xGUF1). All the companion voucher does is mean you pay avios for one person rather than two. For your example you would pay the avios for one person for WTP and use the GUF2 to upgrade both of you to CW.
Thanks ... got it ...
Old Mar 10, 2017, 10:38 pm
Moderator, Hertz; FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1MM, BA GGL, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond and others
OK. So here's a interesting/complex possible use of all the perks

Chase 2-4-1
"The Travel Together Ticket (voucher) allows the main BA/Chase account holder, when making a return flight booking using Avios, to book another seat on the exact same journey for a companion without having to pay the Avios flight price for that Companion."
and important points:
"All travel must originate in and return to the US.
A Member who has two valid vouchers on their account has the option to redeem both of them simultaneously on one flight booking, the Avios flight price must be paid for the Member and an additional individual in order than 2 Companions can travel on that booking."

So from what I understand, it's basically 4-4-2 at that point. I never redeemed any (so I don't have any experience), but given the terms, couldn't one do USA-LHR-CPT(or somewhere else with a nice longhaul F)-LHR-USA, book in business, use a GUF2 and 2xGUF1 to upgrade everyone to first, and use the avios needed for 2 people in business (taxes of course for 4)?

It would seem then something like off-peak would be around 500K Avios for 4 people + $4500 (or about that in taxes and fees) vs if one was to book F it would be some 340K per person.

I don't know if a joker could be used, but that would make this trip very interesting if one could.

And the order I would assume is CW Avios, 2x Chase companion passes, then GUF2 and 2x GUF1

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.