Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Gold Guest List beginner's guide

Search this Thread

Old Aug 14, 2016, 3:16 pm

Programs: BA GGL / GFL, Mucci Diamond!, HH Diamond, Radisson Premium, IHG Gold, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by Jackotono
Never had this before, just had my third anniversary as a GGL. Checked in to the T5 first lounge and the lady on reception said we have a message for you!!
Welcome as a special member to GGL. I also received an upgrade last night :-)
Has anyone else had this?
Will be interesting to see what the service is like on the plane :-)
I checked in with my family at LGW a couple of weeks ago, having requalified as GGL on 8 July. The check- in chap was very quiet and mumbled that I had a message from BAEC - "welcome to the Gold Guest List". It was said so quietly and I was moving into my 4th year as GGL so I was confused, he was mumbling so we kind of just looked at each other 😁 No upgrade either...
Old Aug 14, 2016, 9:09 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA (GGL G4L), AA (Gold), HH (Diamond); Marriott (Gold)
Originally Posted by ThatT1Feeling
I checked in with my family at LGW a couple of weeks ago, having requalified as GGL on 8 July. The check- in chap was very quiet and mumbled that I had a message from BAEC - "welcome to the Gold Guest List". It was said so quietly and I was moving into my 4th year as GGL so I was confused, he was mumbling so we kind of just looked at each other 😁 No upgrade either...
I think the system gives them a lot of wrong information. For example, 1500 tier points into this year, I was "welcomed to gold for the first time". I was a bit confused, and then the agent was a bit embarrassed when he realised that I'm GGL and that it was clearly not my first time as Gold.
Old Aug 15, 2016, 4:36 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
I can't believe I'd never noticed the seat back tray tables before in the CCR board room

Old Aug 15, 2016, 6:01 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by golfmad
I can't believe I'd never noticed the seat back tray tables before in the CCR board room

lol... You've taken the photo of my favourite seat in the CCR!
Old Aug 22, 2016, 3:31 am

Programs: BA Gold
Hi, I'm looking for some advice regarding a mixed-carrier booking.

If I book a BRU-LHR-JFK-LAX return on AA in J, with the LHR-JFK-LHR operated by BA and on BA flight numbers, am I able to use a joker to upgrade myself into F on the TATL sectors.?

My initial guess would be no, if the ticket is issued on AA stock, but worth asking before I book.

Last edited by Flythe96flag; Aug 22, 2016 at 3:39 am
Old Aug 22, 2016, 3:40 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Flythe96flag
Hi, I'm looking for some advice regarding a mixed-carrier booking.

If I book a BRU-LHR-JFK-LAX return on AA in J, with the LHR-JFK-LHR operated by BA and on BA flight numbers, am I able to use a joker to upgrade myself into F on the TATL sectors.?

My initial guess would be no, if the ticket is issued on AA stock, but worth asking before I book.
No. It needs to be a BA ticket to use any of joker/GUF/UuA.
Old Aug 22, 2016, 3:53 am

Programs: BA GGL / GfL
Some advice requested from the knowledgable group on here - my Thanksgiving trip to LAX via NYC has just been subjected to AA's flight schedule cull over the holiday period.
I have been helpfully rebooked onto another AA JFK > LAX flight on Thanksgiving Thursday, it just happens to depart before I have even left LCY on the babybus to get to JFK and from looking at the revised schedule, no JFK > LAX flights look to be departing after breakfast, so no BA flights from LHR will make a direct West Coast connection on that day.
All sectors were booked with BA, and it would actually suit me to leave on the trip from London on the Friday or Saturday - but I'm not sure if BA would allow me change the LCY > JFK sector to any LON > NYC flight the day after my scheduled booking given the AA schedule cull.

I ask here because I will (fingers crossed) make GGL this weekend, so am wondering if waiting to discuss the issue with the GGL folks post my status upgrade may help my situation, or is the general perception that Gold and GGL call centre folks are reading from the same company script, so it won't really matter when I call them to discuss my options?

Pilot37

Last edited by Pilot37; Aug 22, 2016 at 4:02 am
Old Aug 22, 2016, 5:32 am

I would wait until your status updates to GGL.

Without disclosing too much, I have had help from the GL team in solving urgent issues that I was unable to resolve through traditional channels, even though it may have traditionally fallen outside of their authority.

That is not to say they will do whatever you ask, but they are your best bet. I would wait, if you have the opportunity to do so.
Old Aug 22, 2016, 6:11 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Pilot37
Some advice requested from the knowledgable group on here - my Thanksgiving trip to LAX via NYC has just been subjected to AA's flight schedule cull over the holiday period.
I have been helpfully rebooked onto another AA JFK > LAX flight on Thanksgiving Thursday, it just happens to depart before I have even left LCY on the babybus to get to JFK and from looking at the revised schedule, no JFK > LAX flights look to be departing after breakfast, so no BA flights from LHR will make a direct West Coast connection on that day.
All sectors were booked with BA, and it would actually suit me to leave on the trip from London on the Friday or Saturday - but I'm not sure if BA would allow me change the LCY > JFK sector to any LON > NYC flight the day after my scheduled booking given the AA schedule cull.

I ask here because I will (fingers crossed) make GGL this weekend, so am wondering if waiting to discuss the issue with the GGL folks post my status upgrade may help my situation, or is the general perception that Gold and GGL call centre folks are reading from the same company script, so it won't really matter when I call them to discuss my options?

Pilot37
I would just call the Gold line, mention the change in the AA schedule, and then tell them the flights you want. I think it always helps to know what you want before you call, with a few backup plans. My experience is that the Gold line staff are very helpful with this type of situation, though the GGL line is truly one of the best GGL benefits.
Old Aug 22, 2016, 1:33 pm

Originally Posted by KARFA
No. It needs to be a BA ticket to use any of joker/GUF/UuA.
Called BA to book it, got excellent service from the GL team again, as usual. ^

£1490 for BRU-LHR-JFK-LAX return, with the transcons in F.

GUF1 on the TATL sectors using a Joker too. Flights aren't until next year, so Expertflyer alert set for award availability in case I will be able to redeem that way and get the Joker back. Quite pleased.
Old Aug 22, 2016, 1:53 pm

Many thanks Flythe96flag and dylanks for your opinions, given my flights aren't until Nov and I hopefully hit GGL by next Tuesday, I'll wait the week.

Pilot37
Old Aug 24, 2016, 2:10 pm

Originally Posted by Flythe96flag
Called BA to book it, got excellent service from the GL team again, as usual. ^

£1490 for BRU-LHR-JFK-LAX return, with the transcons in F.

GUF1 on the TATL sectors using a Joker too. Flights aren't until next year, so Expertflyer alert set for award availability in case I will be able to redeem that way and get the Joker back. Quite pleased.
Well what do you know, like clockwork, two days later F availability has showed up for both transatlantic legs. Got my Joker back... Thing is I'm struggling to use them as it is, but can't waste them!
Old Aug 31, 2016, 4:14 am

Well - it has happened (and I blame you all here on FT!

Overnight my last few flights posted and I crossed the magic 5K TP threshold approx 2.5yrs after reaching Gold for the first time.

My thanks for all the advice which the entire board have offered up over the past year I've been an FT member and I hope I get to meet and share a few glasses of LPGS in the various CCR's around the World with some of you.

I'll update my profile when I can access a proper PC.

Pilot37
Old Aug 31, 2016, 4:26 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Overnight my last few flights posted and I crossed the magic 5K TP threshold approx 2.5yrs after reaching Gold for the first time.
Welcome to GGL and CCR Pilot37. Your ermine has been enhanced to synthetic squirrel (XL size only) but hopefully no-one will comment. Allow 6 weeks for delivery, but the unshiny card will be with much sooner, perhaps a week all being well.
Old Aug 31, 2016, 6:51 am
Original Poster

Well - it has happened (and I blame you all here on FT!
Congratulations and welcome to GGL and CCR, Pilot37! Hopefully your first trip as a GGL is as exciting as mine was ( http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...-trip-ggl.html )!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.