Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Gold Guest List beginner's guide

Search this Thread

Old Apr 3, 2016, 1:40 am

Programs: BAEC Silver; Hilton Diamond;a miscellany of other hotel non-statuses
Originally Posted by Tobias-UK
You may wish to change the wording in the first sentence to 'initial qualification ' for clarity.
I also found this a bit confusing on first reading. I'd propose changing...

Originally Posted by dylanks
You'll get two jokers/GGL redemptions on qualification and two when you roll over to the new membership year.
to...

You'll get two jokers/GGL redemptions for each qualifying membership year, meaning two on initial qualification (which need to be used by the end of that year) and two when you roll over to each new membership year.
Old Apr 3, 2016, 5:52 am

Programs: BA GGL CCR GfL, SQ Gold, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, Cafe Nero Loyalty Card (7 Stamps)
Originally Posted by dylanks
Also, for what it's worth, you were a bit unlucky. When I called the GGL the first few times, they reminded me of this benefit and actively encouraged me to use it before my tier point year ended.
And for what it's worth, when I called GGL line on qualification they told me that the exact opposite was the case; your two Jokers received upon qualification do not renew if used before your 'official' GGL start date.
Old Apr 3, 2016, 6:19 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by Wozza2404
And for what it's worth, when I called GGL line on qualification they told me that the exact opposite was the case; your two Jokers received upon qualification do not renew if used before your 'official' GGL start date.
That's kind of how it is supposed to work. It appears a glitch that allows Jokers etc to be available until the end of the existing Membership Year and then new ones issued at the beginning of your first full new Membership Year. I suspect it only a matter of time before this quirk is removed.
Old Apr 4, 2016, 11:01 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA (GGL G4L), AA (Gold), HH (Diamond); Marriott (Gold)
You may wish to change the wording in the first sentence to 'initial qualification ' for clarity.
Originally Posted by EsherFlyer
I also found this a bit confusing on first reading. I'd propose changing...

to...
Thanks! I've updated to use EsherFlyer's suggested prose.
Old Apr 14, 2016, 11:15 am

Programs: BA, U2+, SK, AF/KL, IHG, Hilton, others gathering dust...
Question is about using Jokers (with GUFs) at T-355. I have vague recollections of some of my question being answered in another thread somewhere, but trawls through various joker and GUF threads have not found it, and as this great consolidated GGL thread now exists, here goes. Have used Jokers a number of times over the last few years, but never at T-355 (in fact never booked a flight at T-355), so:

1. Obviously when you book at T-355 and you want a return, the return is not available to book yet. So, I book the outbound flights in question with Jokers, and when the time comes to book the return, can the same Joker be applied to the return when it is added to the booking? The return would hopefully be a straight return, but potentially an open jaw if route availability forced that. I only have one Joker remaining for this membership year. I'm thinking it's ok as long as both sectors are on the same PNR, but would like confirmation. I did ask the lovely GGL line about this, got slightly conflicting info, along the lines of "you'd need 2 jokers, hang on, let me check...no, it should be ok with one".

2. Same question applies to the GUFs (I'm planning to use 1 x GUF2 and 2 x GUF1 on the booking), can I "re-use" the same GUFs when it comes to adding the return, as long as it's on the same booking/PNR?

3. A bit "how long is a piece of string", but is it advisable to call at midnight (or is it 01:00 UK time in summer?) to nail down the seats as soon as the date in question is available for sale, or does one wait until the UK GGL line opens? Clearly reward space is not as restricted with a Joker compared to normal redemption seats, but there could be other GGLs out there with the same flights in mind and I'd need 4 seats out of the 5 max per cabin on Jokers. If recommended, where do you reach GGL line people at these hours? I've only ever called them during the UK opening hours. I will be looking to travel in either CW or F depending on route availability, obviously booked and paid into 1 cabin down and then GUF'd.

4. Lastly, would it make any difference if I booked F in one direction and CW in the other (again, not fussy about this, it would more be a case of where I can get the availability, the Avios are there), could the same Joker/GUFs be applied when booking the return in a different cabin once the T-355 day for that came round?

Sorry for the lengthy question, feel free to answer any part of it, all assistance much appreciated. As you can imagine, I could end up in the domestic doghouse if I get this wrong, so no pressure people..
Old Apr 14, 2016, 11:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA, AF
1-2) Jokers and GUFs are applied per booking.

3) Just call the same GGL number - it will be routed through to NCL after 00:55.

4) No - as 1 & 2.
Old Apr 14, 2016, 2:56 pm

Programs: BA, U2+, SK, AF/KL, IHG, Hilton, others gathering dust...
Originally Posted by BA6501
1-2) Jokers and GUFs are applied per booking.

3) Just call the same GGL number - it will be routed through to NCL after 00:55.

4) No - as 1 & 2.
Many thanks, much appreciated.
Old Apr 16, 2016, 12:46 pm

Programs: BA GGL, NH SFC, IHG Diamond, Radisson VIP, HH Diamond, SPG Gold
Beginner's questions

I am sorry to bother you, but I would be grateful if anyone could help me.

It's been only 4 months since my status was upgraded to GGL (with Concorde Room Card). I don't use the CCR often but the FL normally as the food service is rather slow, so I am still quite new to the CCR. My questions are:

1) Can I use a Cabana with the Concord Room Card? Or still need to fly on F?
2) I wonder if I have access to the Arrival Lounge with the Concierge Key when landed on T5 from anywhere, or after longhaul flights only? (btw, how long and medium hauls are defined?)
3) Where is the BA "bath"? Someone says a "bath cabana", so I am confused. Does one of three cabanas have a bath? I have never used Cabana 2 but I know 1 & 3 have no bath. Or more cabanas in the Arrival Lounge?

Finally, this question is directed to Concorde Room Card holders,
4) Do you think if it's worth keeping the CCR access? I am pretty sure that I will renew GGL, but I dont think I can reach 5,000 TPs without a couple of runs. I have got another 9 months, wondering if I should plan on runs...
Old Apr 16, 2016, 1:00 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
1) Yes you can use the Cabana with a CCR card, though in practical terms it's probably best to ask on the desk and/or reserve your next appointment when there in person.

2) You can use Arrivals as a Gold, never mind CCR, so long as it is longhaul, which means any service with a Club World cabin, even if you didn't travel in it. So Moscow, Tel Aviv, Beirut are among the shorter routes, anywhere beyond that basically. CCR allow you to use the Concorde Breakfast Room in Arrivals, and GGL allows a guest, which Gold does not. Full details in the Lounge Access Guideline in the Dashboard.

3) Bath cabanas: they are only in Arrivals, photos here:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/26213133-post89.html
and see the rest of that thread. In the main Concorde Room it is showers only.

4) If you prefer FLounge then you don't appear to be getting any advantage out of CCR, so I can't see the point in striving for the extra TPs unless there is something else in it for you.
Old Apr 16, 2016, 2:00 pm

Programs: BA GGL, NH SFC, IHG Diamond, Radisson VIP, HH Diamond, SPG Gold
Thanks corporate-wage-slave as always!

I like dinner menues at the CCR but unfortunately most of my flights depart in the morning. I will go to the airport earlier tomorrow exploring a bit more of the CCR.

I am now trying to get LTG, I will make it at some point for sure but I was thinking unless my job role changes, but wondering if I should acceraerlate a bit by doing 5k TPs for the next few years.

One disappointment with the CCR is that It's very crowded. I occasionally used it when travelling on F, I dont think it was that busy... I assume CCR card holders are increading?
Old Apr 16, 2016, 2:07 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
Originally Posted by Dark Blue
1) Can I use a Cabana with the Concord Room Card? Or still need to fly on F?
Just to add to what's already been said, my understanding is that the only thing you can't access as a CCR card holder if not flying F is the spa for treatments. That's anecdotal based on experience with my daughter but I think it's probably correct.
Old Apr 16, 2016, 2:37 pm
Moderator: Qatar Airways

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
No email received for hitting 8,000 TPs, but when I called the GGL line about something different, the Operative asked me what 'reward' I wanted. They also advised me that one of my GUFs was about to expire, and proactively added the 6 month extension to it.

I'll hit 9,000 TPs in early May, and then 10,000 TPs mid-May, but appreciate nothing is offered for the latter. I think a letter from BAEC would be a fitting reward.
Old Apr 16, 2016, 2:49 pm
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by msm2000uk
No email received for hitting 8,000 TPs, but when I called the GGL line about something different, the Operative asked me what 'reward' I wanted. They also advised me that one of my GUFs was about to expire, and proactively added the 6 month extension to it.

I'll hit 9,000 TPs in early May, and then 10,000 TPs mid-May, but appreciate nothing is offered for the latter. I think a letter from BAEC would be a fitting reward.
My email arrived within a few days of passing 7,000, 8,000 & 9,000 TPs. Don't hold your breath for any acknowledgement on earning 10,000 TPs, you'll be waiting in vein.
Old Apr 16, 2016, 4:56 pm
Moderator: Qatar Airways

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
My email arrived within a few days of passing 7,000, 8,000 & 9,000 TPs. Don't hold your breath for any acknowledgement on earning 10,000 TPs, you'll be waiting in vein.
Quite a few FTers have told me they received the email for hitting 7/8/9,000 so evidently I was unlucky.

I'll post the photo going through 10,000 and see if BA's social media team pick it up!
Old Apr 16, 2016, 5:14 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA (GGL G4L), AA (Gold), HH (Diamond); Marriott (Gold)
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
1) Yes you can use the Cabana with a CCR card, though in practical terms it's probably best to ask on the desk and/or reserve your next appointment when there in person.

2) You can use Arrivals as a Gold, never mind CCR, so long as it is longhaul, which means any service with a Club World cabin, even if you didn't travel in it. So Moscow, Tel Aviv, Beirut are among the shorter routes, anywhere beyond that basically. CCR allow you to use the Concorde Breakfast Room in Arrivals, and GGL allows a guest, which Gold does not. Full details in the Lounge Access Guideline in the Dashboard.

3) Bath cabanas: they are only in Arrivals, photos here:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/26213133-post89.html
and see the rest of that thread. In the main Concorde Room it is showers only.

4) If you prefer FLounge then you don't appear to be getting any advantage out of CCR, so I can't see the point in striving for the extra TPs unless there is something else in it for you.
Thanks for the answers c-w-s, I'll work them into the guide also. It's probably time for me to review the text a bit anyway now that I've had the GGL/CCR perspective.

Edit: Guide updated to reflect these answers and some updates based on my initial experiences.

Last edited by dylanks; Apr 16, 2016 at 6:10 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.