Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Gold Guest List beginner's guide

Search this Thread

Old Jul 30, 2022, 11:57 am

Programs: BAEC GGL
Originally Posted by firstlight
A question for this thread please as a newbie which there doesn't seem a clear answer (different experiences) when I searched:

1) Can I book using a joker and my wife's companion voucher if she is travelling with me?

2) If 1) doesn't work, can I use the joker now, and then get the GGL line to apply a companion voucher to the booking later to get 1/2 the avios back?

Thanks in advance
Yes, you can do 1). I've done this in the past with my husband's vouchers. As I remember it, you'll have to pay the fees & charges with your wife's amex. I am set up as a nominated user on his account.
Old Aug 2, 2022, 8:12 am
Moderator: Hyatt Gold Passport & Star Alliance

Programs: UA-1K 3MM/HY- LT Globalist/BA-GGL/GfL
Originally Posted by golfmad
I agere with the posters above. I've had POS issues and posted as such in a thread on FT. When looking for a flight from USA to the UK I was looking with a USA POS but the GGL team required availability with a UK POS which didn't exist at the time.

However, I love the idea that they searched everywhere for 10 minutes. Looking under the carpet and down the back of the sofa etc
GGL Agent advised in call just now that A or Z upgrade classes are needed. These are a sub-set of A and Z commercially available.
I seem to have got away with upgrades to A outside of the upgrade classes in the past.
Old Aug 2, 2022, 8:50 am

Programs: BA GGL, BA Amex Prem, Amex Plat, Hilton Diamond, Sir Crazy8534 de l'ordres des aides de Pucci
Originally Posted by Markie
GGL Agent advised in call just now that A or Z upgrade classes are needed. These are a sub-set of A and Z commercially available.
I seem to have got away with upgrades to A outside of the upgrade classes in the past.
I am loathe to say this because I can’t recall ever having a bad experience with a true GGL agent but that sounds like nonsense. Happy to be corrected if these A ‘subsets’ genuinely exist…
Old Aug 2, 2022, 8:53 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond *, IHG, Couples Romance Rewards
Originally Posted by crazy8534
I am loathe to say this because I can’t recall ever having a bad experience with a true GGL agent but that sounds like nonsense. Happy to be corrected if these A ‘subsets’ genuinely exist…
While im no expert on the intracacies of using jokers it sounds like a hang up and call again might be in order.
Old Aug 2, 2022, 9:00 am

Originally Posted by crazy8534
They are what AA uses for upgrades so they are real.
Old Aug 2, 2022, 9:06 am

Programs: BA GfL/GGL/CCR, HH Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador
In order to use joker (gold guest list space release voucher) flight has to have availability in A class (not Z), and no joker used in that particular cabin by someone else. So sometimes even if cabin shows F9 A9 it may not be possible to "joker" yourself into F, since someone else already has used joker there. Every time I booked a flight using joker, agent had to check if it was still possible to use space release voucher despite class availability.
crazy8534 and m8_rotate like this.
Old Aug 2, 2022, 9:17 am

Originally Posted by megaloman
In order to use joker (gold guest list space release voucher) flight has to have availability in A class (not Z), and no joker used in that particular cabin by someone else. So sometimes even if cabin shows F9 A9 it may not be possible to "joker" yourself into F, since someone else already has used joker there. Every time I booked a flight using joker, agent had to check if it was still possible to use space release voucher despite class availability.
My point was not a Joker issue, rather a Gold Upgrade being used on AA issue.
crazy8534 and megaloman like this.
Old Aug 2, 2022, 9:22 am

Programs: BA GGL, BA Amex Prem, Amex Plat, Hilton Diamond, Sir Crazy8534 de l'ordres des aides de Pucci
My point was not a Joker issue, rather a Gold Upgrade being used on AA issue.
Sorry, I missed it was on AA.
Old Aug 2, 2022, 10:32 am

Programs: BA GGL / GfL
I agree with other posters, that sounds nonsense, 'A' class is a revenue class and there is no subset that I have ever encountered! You mention AA on a later post, what flight are you trying to upgrade? Regardless if you see A class on an AA service with UK POS and under the prime AA flight number, then the BA team should be able to use a GUF to move you from Business into it.

Pilot37
Old Aug 2, 2022, 11:46 am

Programs: BA GGL, CCR; RyanAir MillionMiler :( ;
Originally Posted by Pilot37
............. Regardless if you see A class on an AA service with UK POS and under the prime AA flight number, then the BA team should be able to use a GUF to move you from Business into it.

Pilot37
Yeah, thats exactly what I thought too - but I cant find any A avail on transcon for a number of dates in Nov/Dec - and I wondered if it had anything to do with maybe AA reclassifying A to be used for their new "auto upgrade if available" way of working, connected to Loyalty Points? I maybe misunderstood the chap who is AA Plat Exec telling it to me? There is one flight with the BA codeshare has A3 - and I'm just about to email GGL to see if I can GUF it. (ie will the codeshare A3 translate into availability on the prime AA flight number (although my booking is for the BA flt)

Re email to the GGL - recently an agent (who was on her first week) gave me the email address but it was different to the the one I used to have (and lost, doh). The one she gave me started with P and didnt have UK in the address anywhere - seem ok?? Also - what details are needed to give in the email (name/number/address/ etc?? ) Thanks!

Last edited by wanderingjock; Aug 2, 2022 at 11:50 am Reason: adding Q about email
Old Aug 2, 2022, 12:35 pm

Programs: BA GGL/GfL, IHG Spire Elite, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by wanderingjock
Yeah, thats exactly what I thought too - but I cant find any A avail on transcon for a number of dates in Nov/Dec - and I wondered if it had anything to do with maybe AA reclassifying A to be used for their new "auto upgrade if available" way of working, connected to Loyalty Points? I maybe misunderstood the chap who is AA Plat Exec telling it to me? There is one flight with the BA codeshare has A3 - and I'm just about to email GGL to see if I can GUF it. (ie will the codeshare A3 translate into availability on the prime AA flight number (although my booking is for the BA flt)

Re email to the GGL - recently an agent (who was on her first week) gave me the email address but it was different to the the one I used to have (and lost, doh). The one she gave me started with P and didnt have UK in the address anywhere - seem ok?? Also - what details are needed to give in the email (name/number/address/ etc?? ) Thanks!
Hi Wandering Jock,

The email I use for the GGL team does indeed begin with a P and not have UK in the address.

When you send a message for the first time on any subject the auto-reply contains the following (I always send data with that first email)

In order to make sure we continue to securely protect your data we’ve revised our validation procedures, to allow us to discuss your details or bookings with you. This ensures that we only discuss issues with you, or with a person you've given us the authority to talk to on your behalf.
For all your account queries (including the email you’ve just sent to us), you will need to provide your membership number plus 3 pieces of verification information from the following choices, before we can answer you:

- The first line and postcode of the registered address on your account
- The name of a nominee on your account
- The last 4-digits and expiry date of a saved credit card, or your full passport number and expiry date

We thank you so much for your support and cooperation with this.

UNQUOTE

Hope this helps

BONDY
Old Aug 2, 2022, 12:43 pm

Programs: BA GfL, GGL/CCR
Quite a few details. When you send the email, there should, or was, an auto reply telling you the info to supply.

Cant remember exactly what now, as I phone these days.

Just regular info.

Edit. As stated above by BONDY
wanderingjock likes this.
Old Aug 2, 2022, 1:22 pm

Programs: BA GGL / GfL
Originally Posted by wanderingjock

Just to answer your first question and also for other GUF users looking to use it on AA flights:

1) AA use ‘A’ class as a revenue class but under AA prime numbers they don’t release many (if any!) so trying to take advantage via a GUF is hard!
2) Regardless of whether you are booked under the BA flight number or the AA prime, you need ‘A’ class under the AA prime and BA can then use to it GUF
3) Availability does open up, after nothing for months, 3 ‘A’ class seats under AA prime opened up on Sunday for this Friday afternoon’s JFK - LAX 3.30pm flight and I was able to grab one via BA and upgrade using an existing GUF and £4.50 in taxes.
4) Look at off-peak time flights for best chance to use your GUF, the first flight of the day from either LAX to JFK or JFK to LAX seems to have quite a few ‘A’ class seats available and so does the very last flight of the day from either city and naturally mid-week seems better vs a Friday evening.

In summation - keep looking / put alerts on EF and don’t give up hope!

Pilot37
Old Aug 2, 2022, 1:40 pm

Programs: BA GGL, CCR; RyanAir MillionMiler :( ;
Pilot37, thanks VERY much for your detailed and clear explanation! I've set a couple of alerts in EF for A availability.
Tobias-UK and Pilot37 like this.
Old Aug 2, 2022, 1:55 pm

Programs: BA GfL, GGL/CCR
As Pilot37 says keep checking A class does become available, not as easy as before COVID.

AA in their wisdom have decimated their schedules. Jfk lax over the past couple years or so for a number of reasons.

But keep checking, it's my favourite route and cabin!!

Good luck
wanderingjock likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.