Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Gold Guest List beginner's guide

Search this Thread

Old Dec 3, 2021, 12:32 pm

Originally Posted by KARFA
Now I can get back in, I notice there is a separate partner card nominees list for nominating people for cards. Previously you picked from people on the F&F list. This is definately an improvement, especially if the partner card list is not subject to the issues with restricted amendments which the F&F list had.
It now says "The maximum number of people you can have in your Partner Card Nominees list is 5. If you want to add someone new you will first have to remove someone else from the list." Not sure why 5 was chosen? Also is it the same rule as F&F, where a person may be removed only after 6 months?
KARFA likes this.
Old Dec 8, 2021, 1:35 am

Programs: BA
Waited a while for BA to sort out the updates, and they have got rid of GGL and GGL for life. It used to be a lifetime award at 100,000 points. As I was over 95,000 I was looking forward to that when flying resumed, but it is no longer on offer. Just Gold for life at 35,000 now and no mention of GGL. It has been phased out it seems.
Old Dec 8, 2021, 4:27 am

Programs: BA GGL / GfL
Originally Posted by Billywedlockflier
Waited a while for BA to sort out the updates, and they have got rid of GGL and GGL for life. It used to be a lifetime award at 100,000 points. As I was over 95,000 I was looking forward to that when flying resumed, but it is no longer on offer. Just Gold for life at 35,000 now and no mention of GGL. It has been phased out it seems.
It is still listed as a benefit on their website (see below) so I would guess, as with everything involved in this 'I.T. upgrade', they have wiped the relevant text by mistake and somebody hasn't noticed yet - but I very much doubt that is a perk which has fully disappeared.

Gold standard

To reward you for your loyalty, Gold membership for life is yours once you reach 35,000 Tier Points. We’ll just automatically renew your Gold membership every year from then onwards.

And at 100,000 Lifetime Tier Points we'll award you with Gold Guest List for life, our most prestigious membership for only the most elite of Members.
Pilot37
Old Dec 8, 2021, 4:32 am

Programs: BA
All I see is this, and in my account, it used to have on lifetime points that I was close to GGL for life, that has now gone. There is no reference to GGL anywhere I can find, yet it was visible before the latest change. Both in relation to lifetime points and within the tier points/gold card explanation. I will ask them We’re giving the Tier Points you’ve earned in the past, real value in the present. All the Tier Points you’ve ever earned, since you joined the Club, are added up to become your Lifetime Tier Points.

Enjoy Gold membership for life

To reward you for your loyalty, Gold membership for life is yours once you reach 35,000 Tier Points. We’ll just automatically renew your Gold membership every year from then onwards.
Old Dec 8, 2021, 7:28 am

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold, GGL, CCR, Virgin Gold
I am in a similar position, albeit not quite so close to 100,000 tier points. That would be disappointing to say the least after all of that flying.
Old Dec 8, 2021, 7:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by dbthebolt
I am in a similar position, albeit not quite so close to 100,000 tier points. That would be disappointing to say the least after all of that flying.
Where are you at right now?
Old Dec 8, 2021, 7:51 am

Programs: GGLfL
If you are an existing GGL Member, then it states "Gold Guest List Member" under your name and email address on the My Account tab.

And above Lifetime Tier Points, for GGLFLers, it states "You have achieved Gold Guest List for life"
Old Dec 8, 2021, 8:09 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
GGLfL is clearly still part of the terms for GGL last revised in August 2017 https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb...-list-benefits

I strongly suspect this is yet another exec club site issue rather than GGLfL being formally withdrawn.
Old Dec 8, 2021, 9:55 am

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold, GGL, CCR, Virgin Gold
Originally Posted by lsquare
Where are you at right now?
im just over 80k. I would be there now if not for Covid.
lsquare likes this.
Old Dec 14, 2021, 2:13 am

Programs: BA, Accor, Hilton, ITA
Couldn’t find this in the Wiki, but here’s an update which I encountered yesterday regarding the complimentary upgrade to 1st on HEX (Heathrow Express)

I’ve only used this a handful of times, and only had 2 ticket inspections on the train anyhow. But was on the HEX yesterday and GGL card acknowledged, and with my guest also, but I also used a 241 Railcard, and was advised that both discount ‘offers’, ie using a Railcard and upgrade to 1st cannot be combined, it’s either one or the other. So to use the 1st upgrade you can’t use a Railcard or in fact any other promotion. This then got me thinking when travelling alone I always use the BA On Business 10% off code, so this would I’m guessing fall into the same trap!

So the information seems to be if you want a Free upgrade to 1st you need to buy one of the specific 3 full price standard tickets. This would also rule out the 30-90 day advanced tickets!

Obviously for a 15 minute journey you’d have to weigh up if the 3xtra cost of giving up your other discounts is worth it!

The Railcard issue is bizarre however, as a full priced Standard return is Ł74 in order to get the free upgrade, but a full 1st return with Railcard discount for 2 is Ł72.60, so it’s cheaper if you want to travel in first, to just buy the discounted 1st ticket anyhow!

Last edited by cheshirepete; Dec 14, 2021 at 2:19 am
Old Dec 16, 2021, 9:56 am

Programs: BA GGL CCR GfL, SQ Gold, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, Cafe Nero Loyalty Card (7 Stamps)
Originally Posted by cheshirepete
Couldn’t find this in the Wiki, but here’s an update which I encountered yesterday regarding the complimentary upgrade to 1st on HEX (Heathrow Express)

I’ve only used this a handful of times, and only had 2 ticket inspections on the train anyhow. But was on the HEX yesterday and GGL card acknowledged, and with my guest also, but I also used a 241 Railcard, and was advised that both discount ‘offers’, ie using a Railcard and upgrade to 1st cannot be combined, it’s either one or the other. So to use the 1st upgrade you can’t use a Railcard or in fact any other promotion. This then got me thinking when travelling alone I always use the BA On Business 10% off code, so this would I’m guessing fall into the same trap!

So the information seems to be if you want a Free upgrade to 1st you need to buy one of the specific 3 full price standard tickets. This would also rule out the 30-90 day advanced tickets!

Obviously for a 15 minute journey you’d have to weigh up if the 3xtra cost of giving up your other discounts is worth it!

The Railcard issue is bizarre however, as a full priced Standard return is Ł74 in order to get the free upgrade, but a full 1st return with Railcard discount for 2 is Ł72.60, so it’s cheaper if you want to travel in first, to just buy the discounted 1st ticket anyhow!
There's no such clause in the T&Cs. Sounds like you go an inspector with their own opinion of what the terms should be, rather than what they are.

https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb...-upgrade-offer
Old Dec 17, 2021, 4:16 pm

Programs: BA GGL
Is there a genuine GGL email address to contact? DM me pretty plz.
​​​​​​I see nothing on any documentation and would like to get in touch.
Although it's not a direct GGL issue I need to discuss the Double TP offer in the hope the team will follow up with relevant departments.
I'm due to pay for another Double TP holiday in four weeks' time, but won't do so if my previous non-delivery of double TPs (now six weeks ago, so well overdue!) fails to 'pay out'.
The lack of integrity in delivering on this promotion is shambolic thus far. T​​​​​o the point that I'll be foregoing GGL if it's unresolved, as I can't trust that my next booking - made specifically to qualify - will post in the correct timeframe (if at all).
​​​​​​
Old Dec 23, 2021, 10:32 am

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold;BA GGL; hhonors lifetime diamond; Marriott lt Gold; IH Plat Amb; Amex Centurion
Hello and happy [insert festival of choice here]!

I have an issue which I think is beyond sorting out but I thought I would ask here in case anyone very kindly has an insight. I make it clear that lots of people are seriously suffering and I know that this is a truly first world problem. I know also that we should have thought ahead - but I was distracted with my daytime tasks

So we planned Xmas in NY and arranged a return flight using a joker to EWR. The outbound has been flown. We then looked at the Covid figures for NY and booked a (changeable) AS flight from EWR to SFO, where it is safer. Now we are happily in San Jose. What we have now realised we would like to do is to change the EWR-LHR flight for a direct flight back from SFO instead. I think this is impossible because:-
  1. We have flown the first segment and change is now impossible.
  2. SFO and EWR are in different Avios bands.
  3. I can't use the joker I have remaining for this year because the flight has to originate in theUK.
  4. I don't deserve it because I wasn't paying attention when we booked the AS EWR-SFO flights (just) more than 24 hours before the LHR-EWR flight departed.

Am I right? Does anyone have any thoughts? HAve I made any errors in the interpretation of the rules? And I do thank anyone who is able to respond.

Cheers

Harry
Old Dec 23, 2021, 11:28 am

Programs: BA GfL/GGL/CCR, HH Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by hsmall
Hello and happy [insert festival of choice here]!

I have an issue which I think is beyond sorting out but I thought I would ask here in case anyone very kindly has an insight. I make it clear that lots of people are seriously suffering and I know that this is a truly first world problem. I know also that we should have thought ahead - but I was distracted with my daytime tasks

So we planned Xmas in NY and arranged a return flight using a joker to EWR. The outbound has been flown. We then looked at the Covid figures for NY and booked a (changeable) AS flight from EWR to SFO, where it is safer. Now we are happily in San Jose. What we have now realised we would like to do is to change the EWR-LHR flight for a direct flight back from SFO instead. I think this is impossible because:-
  1. We have flown the first segment and change is now impossible.
  2. SFO and EWR are in different Avios bands.
  3. I can't use the joker I have remaining for this year because the flight has to originate in theUK.
  4. I don't deserve it because I wasn't paying attention when we booked the AS EWR-SFO flights (just) more than 24 hours before the LHR-EWR flight departed.

Am I right? Does anyone have any thoughts? HAve I made any errors in the interpretation of the rules? And I do thank anyone who is able to respond.

Cheers

Harry
You cannot cancel your avios redemption ticket after the first segment was flown, but you can still make changes.
You can change the ticket, you'd pay avios difference for a new band.
You can benefit from joker used for your booking - as long as your joker'ed flight hasn't been cancelled.

Last edited by megaloman; Dec 23, 2021 at 11:34 am
Old Dec 23, 2021, 1:52 pm

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold;BA GGL; hhonors lifetime diamond; Marriott lt Gold; IH Plat Amb; Amex Centurion
Thank you. Encouraged by that I called the GGL line and they were very helpful. You were right: it is only cancellation that is forbidden after 24 hours before the first segment. We are waiting now with bated breath to hear back from Revenue Management....

Thanks again.
our_kid and megaloman like this.

Last edited by hsmall; Dec 25, 2021 at 11:04 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.