Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Gold Guest List beginner's guide

Search this Thread

Old Nov 30, 2019, 12:42 pm

I have booked numerous flights using GGL redemption over the last few years and have always received tier points and avios points on the booking. Recently I booked a long haul redemption flight in 2 separate bookings - my husband and kids got avios points and tier points on their booking but I didn’t on mine (made 2 days later). I had assumed that they had made an error with my booking but you seem to be suggesting that the opposite is true and I’ve been lucky in the past.
Old Dec 1, 2019, 4:52 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Pickles119
I had assumed that they had made an error with my booking but you seem to be suggesting that the opposite is true and I’ve been lucky in the past.
I would also suggest that you have simply been lucky in the past. Welcome to Flyertalk and welcome to the BA Forum Pickles119, it's good to see you here and I hope you can remain active too.
Old Dec 15, 2019, 5:47 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Interesting experience with partner card nominations this week. My new year started on Monday and I wanted to nominate someone straight away. There was no button showing to nominate under the F&F list so I called to do it - I have had to call in the past so not that unusual.

Anyway the GGL agent who seemed to be pretty knowledgeable advised that partner cards do not get allocated until the first Saturday after your new year starts so it was not possible for them to nominate on the Monday. I don't know whether I haven't encountered this before because I haven't nominated quite so soon after the start of a new year or perhaps because in previous years the gap between start of year and first Saturday has been much shorter.

I have been checking my F&F page during the week to see if the nominate button appeared and it had not. Logged on to my account yesterday and the nominate button was there so it certainly appears to corroborate what the agent advised on Monday.
Oaxaca and Vasco Pridat like this.
Old Dec 15, 2019, 6:02 am

Programs: BA, U2+, SK, AF/KL, IHG, Hilton, others gathering dust...
Originally Posted by KARFA
Interesting experience with partner card nominations this week. My new year started on Monday and I wanted to nominate someone straight away. There was no button showing to nominate under the F&F list so I called to do it - I have had to call in the past so not that unusual.

Anyway the GGL agent who seemed to be pretty knowledgeable advised that partner cards do not get allocated until the first Saturday after your new year starts so it was not possible for them to nominate on the Monday. I don't know whether I haven't encountered this before because I haven't nominated quite so soon after the start of a new year or perhaps because in previous years the gap between start of year and first Saturday has been much shorter.

I have been checking my F&F page during the week to see if the nominate button appeared and it had not. Logged on to my account yesterday and the nominate button was there so it certainly appears to corroborate what the agent advised on Monday.
I’ve just looked back at the emails received from BA over the last few years telling me that I can now nominate people for partner cards. They have indeed always arrived on a Saturday, not something you particularly notice from one year to the next.

When the 9th was a Friday or Saturday, they arrived on the Saturday a week later, the latest I’ve received one was on the 17th of the month. I don’t know if the nominate button was available before then.
KARFA likes this.
Old Dec 30, 2019, 4:28 pm

Ref space release booking.
I have a trip to Maldives with space release that I need to change. I'd like to change to Singapore or Sydney but the agent this eve told me I can only change to the same Avios zone.

Is this true?

I changed LA to mauritius last year which is zone 6 to zone 7 AFAIK.

Anyone know the correct policy on this?
Old Dec 30, 2019, 4:31 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by wonderman
Ref space release booking.
I have a trip to Maldives with space release that I need to change. I'd like to change to Singapore or Sydney but the agent this eve told me I can only change to the same Avios zone.

Is this true?

I changed LA to mauritius last year which is zone 6 to zone 7 AFAIK.

Anyone know the correct policy on this?
yes this is the case for all reward bookings, changes can only be done between routes in the same zone.
Old Dec 31, 2019, 2:59 am

Programs: BA GGL, Gold for Life
My jokers & upgrade vouchers in conjunction with my daughter's companion voucher?

Given that, in order to maintain GGL status, all my long-haul flights are with Qatar, I often end up not being able to use jokers and upgrade vouchers before they expire. My daugher acquires an annual companion voucher through her BA Amex card. Is there any way for me to buy tickets for her and a companion, making use of her companion voucher in conjunction with my jokers and upgrade vouchers?
Old Dec 31, 2019, 3:05 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/GFl, HH Diamond, BW Diamond, Virgin Voyages Deep Blue Extra, Blue Peter Badge Holder
Originally Posted by GGLwannabe
Given that, in order to maintain GGL status, all my long-haul flights are with Qatar, I often end up not being able to use jokers and upgrade vouchers before they expire. My daugher acquires an annual companion voucher through her BA Amex card. Is there any way for me to buy tickets for her and a companion, making use of her companion voucher in conjunction with my jokers and upgrade vouchers?
You can’t combine companion vouchers and upgrade vouchers on different accounts, if you live together you may be able to do it on a household account- hopefully someone with knowledge of this will be along shortly
Old Dec 31, 2019, 3:40 am

Originally Posted by KARFA
yes this is the case for all reward bookings, changes can only be done between routes in the same zone.
Thanks for info, at least zone 6 is pretty extensive.
Old Dec 31, 2019, 5:21 am

Programs: Mucci, BAEC GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Stena Gold
Only if you are the companion
Old Dec 31, 2019, 6:48 am

Programs: BA GGL CCR GfL, SQ Gold, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, Cafe Nero Loyalty Card (7 Stamps)
You can use your GUF vouchers and space release for her (or anyone), but you can't then add her 241 unless you are travelling as well.
Old Dec 31, 2019, 7:58 am

Programs: BA GGL, Gold for Life
Oh well, I thought it would have been rather too good to be true, but worth asking ...
Old Dec 31, 2019, 9:07 am

Programs: BAEC GGL
I have a GUF which expires in a few days (7 Jan I believe). I'm unlikely to use it by then but understand it can be extended by 6 months by ringing BA. When is the best time to do that? Shortly before or shortly after it expires?
Old Dec 31, 2019, 9:18 am

Programs: BA GGL
Originally Posted by abligh
I have a GUF which expires in a few days (7 Jan I believe). I'm unlikely to use it by then but understand it can be extended by 6 months by ringing BA. When is the best time to do that? Shortly before or shortly after it expires?
Doesn't seem to matter. I've done it by phone and email both before and after with no issues...
abligh likes this.
Old Dec 31, 2019, 9:49 am

Programs: BA GGL, TK E (*G), ITA exec
Originally Posted by abligh
For the little I know, before expiring date.
abligh likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.