Wiki Posts
Search

Gold Guest List beginner's guide

Search this Thread

Old Nov 19, 2019, 9:05 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
Originally Posted by bagold
Do you know which Fare Bucket Joker card is released from? For First class, is it F or A?
It's 'A' class. See post 1 in this thread for more info.
Old Nov 19, 2019, 9:42 pm

Programs: BA GGL, Gold for life
Originally Posted by Wozza2404
Needs to be a simple date change because if you cancel a booking after a Joker has expired then you don't get it back (even if booking another flight there and then). So no guarantees, I don't think.
So I have a joker expiring on 8th January. I would like to book flights next year using the joker leaving on 19th December 2020 and returning 2nd January 2021. Clearly the return leg will not be available by the time my joker expires. Is there a clever way of doing this? If I just change the return date does my joker still work without using up my new ones?
Old Nov 20, 2019, 4:12 am

Programs: BA GGL CCR GfL, SQ Gold, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, Cafe Nero Loyalty Card (7 Stamps)
Originally Posted by womble88
So I have a joker expiring on 8th January. I would like to book flights next year using the joker leaving on 19th December 2020 and returning 2nd January 2021. Clearly the return leg will not be available by the time my joker expires. Is there a clever way of doing this? If I just change the return date does my joker still work without using up my new ones?
Quite honestly, I don't know. However this one would be worth a phonecall. I would like to think you could just book the outbound and a dummy return date and they'd change it without it costing you another Joker.

I found out about losing the Jokers when I wanted to change a LHR-LAS return to LHR-LAX - There was no way for them to get the previously used Joker back to use on this new booking, apparently.

That said, if I'd been desperate I would have gone with HUACA - but as it happened I didn't need the new Joker that year anyway so no real harm done.
Old Nov 25, 2019, 9:24 pm

Programs: BA GGL, LH SEN
I've just crossed the 5000 point threshold today. My points year ends 8th December.

Getting to GGL really does take a ridiculous amount of flying. My points this year mainly came from monthly business class flights between Hong Kong and San Francisco and regular flights between Hong Kong and Australia. I also flew a fair amount inside Asia and to Europe. All of it in business class.

Amusingly, I only flew four segments on BA this year. :-) Being based in Hong Kong, most of my travel has been on Cathay Pacific.

Now I need to get myself to LHR or JFK to find out if that Concorde Room Card is worth it.

I look forward to finding out if anything changes in my life between Gold and GGL. I suspect not. But it's nice to be in the top tier, I suppose.
Old Nov 25, 2019, 9:40 pm

Programs: BA GGL & CCR, AS Gold 75k, IHG Aspire, Marriott Titanium , National Exec Elite, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by trouble_
Now I need to get myself to LHR or JFK to find out if that Concorde Room Card is worth it.
IMHO it's not, the LHR CCR is embarrassing for a home base top tier lounge, particularly as you are used to the excellent lounges at HKG. I'm in a similar boat as a US (West coast) based CCR card holder, the Qantas F lounge at LAX is better than anything BA offer. The Concierge Key reciprocity is handy in the US but I think that's GGL not CCR related, one apparently appears as a "BA VIP" to the AA team.
Old Nov 25, 2019, 9:56 pm

Programs: BA GGL, LH SEN
Yeah ... the lounges in Hong Kong do make other places feel very average. I know I'm spoiled. :-)

I'm not very keen on the Qantas F lounge at LAX. Probably because every time I'm there, it's packed to the rafters. The CX flight leaves after several very busy QF flights.

Do partner airlines see any difference on their manifest between Gold and GGL? I thought GGL was just a BA thing. I should read through the forum.

I definitely can't complain about the CX treatment as BA gold. Though I wouldn't be surprised if they also track spending separate from their loyalty programme and I have spent substantial amounts of money on them. They're not exactly cheap ex-HKG!
Old Nov 25, 2019, 10:09 pm

Programs: BA GGL & CCR, AS Gold 75k, IHG Aspire, Marriott Titanium , National Exec Elite, Amex Plat
Yeah ... the lounges in Hong Kong do make other places feel very average. I know I'm spoiled. :-)

I'm not very keen on the Qantas F lounge at LAX. Probably because every time I'm there, it's packed to the rafters. The CX flight leaves after several very busy QF flights.

Do partner airlines see any difference on their manifest between Gold and GGL? I thought GGL was just a BA thing. I should read through the forum.

I definitely can't complain about the CX treatment as BA gold. Though I wouldn't be surprised if they also track spending separate from their loyalty programme and I have spent substantial amounts of money on them. They're not exactly cheap ex-HKG!
Two words for you on the lounge front: "Admirals Club"

Agree on the spending front, that is more important to airlines, increasingly aligned to loyalty and my very limited and anecdotal evidence is that spend on BA > BA Status.

I'm told AA see me as "BA VIP" but I suspect that's a GGL benefit as it loosely translates to Concierge Key, at some point my printed BPs showed Concierge Key on them but that seems to have been "fixed". Hopefully someone here can answer these questions more accurately!
Old Nov 26, 2019, 3:26 am

Programs: BA, U2+, SK, AF/KL, IHG, Hilton, others gathering dust...
I've just crossed the 5000 point threshold today. My points year ends 8th December.

Getting to GGL really does take a ridiculous amount of flying. My points this year mainly came from monthly business class flights between Hong Kong and San Francisco and regular flights between Hong Kong and Australia. I also flew a fair amount inside Asia and to Europe. All of it in business class.

Amusingly, I only flew four segments on BA this year. :-) Being based in Hong Kong, most of my travel has been on Cathay Pacific.

I look forward to finding out if anything changes in my life between Gold and GGL. I suspect not. But it's nice to be in the top tier, I suppose.
As with any status, GGL primarily depends on what you will do with the benefits, and there are obviously more if BA metal is available and used more often. If you're rarely in LHR or JFK, the CCR card obviously has little use, and probably isn't worth striving for in itself anyway. CCRs are nice enough, but for me not really worth the extra TPs if that's not happening naturally.

Once earned, you can currently retain GGL with 3K tier points, and some would consider 3.5K TPs as the sweet spot if the CCR is a non-factor (1 x GUF2 at 2.5K and 2 x GUF1 being earned at 3.5K), but of course also depends on your ability to use GUFs. The other main benefits are the GGL redemptions (AKA Jokers on here) and the partner cards. Again, Joker value depends on your ability to use them, since BA metal is required. The only other reason to keep going beyond 3/3.5K a year would be getting to Lifetime Gold at 35K TPs, if that's realistic and desirable for you.

In terms of recognition, can't say I've had much GGL (beyond the OWE usual) recognition I could identify on CX over the years, though I don't fly as much CX these days. AA recognition in terms of getting some of the CK service is better, but sporadic IME. Has been very useful in a few IRROPS situations, and occasionally having the CK team find me in the lounge and offer me CK boarding, but sometimes nothing at all (which is also fine, the IRROPS help is the thing I value most, and they've generally come through on that front, which is more than I can say for BA's own Concorde Team).
Old Nov 26, 2019, 5:44 am

Programs: BA GGL / GfL
Crossed the 5K threshold again last Sunday week and my new CCR card was waiting for me at home yesterday evening - a week from status renewal to receipt of the card is definitely a record for me on any status card!
I’ve been reading the comments above about whether GGL/CCR is worth it and they have given me something to think about. Travel patterns have changed and I’m not sure if 5K will be as easily obtained next year, however the CCR lounge is nice to escape the crowds wherever I’m heading and the Joker benefits came into their own for this years Christmas holiday when booking last minute. I’ll see how things look after Q1 2020 and decide if 3.5K is next years better option.

Pilot37
Oaxaca likes this.
Old Nov 26, 2019, 5:51 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Pilot37
Crossed the 5K threshold again last Sunday week and my new CCR card was waiting for me at home yesterday evening - a week from status renewal to receipt of the card is definitely a record for me on any status card!
I’ve been reading the comments above about whether GGL/CCR is worth it and they have given me something to think about. Travel patterns have changed and I’m not sure if 5K will be as easily obtained next year, however the CCR lounge is nice to escape the crowds wherever I’m heading and the Joker benefits came into their own for this years Christmas holiday when booking last minute. I’ll see how things look after Q1 2020 and decide if 3.5K is next years better option.

Pilot37
Welcome back, see you soon
Pilot37 likes this.
Old Nov 26, 2019, 5:43 pm

Programs: FB, GGL, IHG, Hilton
Jokers available

How do I find out what Jokers I have available and when they expire? Been hunting through the site but can't find anything and I can't seem to find anything on the guide?
Old Nov 26, 2019, 5:47 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Roryb
How do I find out what Jokers I have available and when they expire? Been hunting through the site but can't find anything and I can't seem to find anything on the guide?
They are not displayed online. You can call or email to ask. Best is just to keep your own record.

Have you used either of your two this year? Got any extra from last year or this for hitting 6k? The two you get at the start of your membership year expire at the end of your membership year if not used. The ones awarded at 6k are valid for a year from when you hit 6k.
golfmad likes this.
Old Nov 26, 2019, 6:01 pm

Originally Posted by KARFA
They are not displayed online. You can call or email to ask. Best is just to keep your own record.

Have you used either of your two this year? Got any extra from last year or this for hitting 6k? The two you get at the start of your membership year expire at the end of your membership year if not used. The ones awarded at 6k are valid for a year from when you hit 6k.
I don't think I have used any this year although I found it remarkably easy to find availability for a GUF booking last week I suspect I might have accidentally used one. Unfortunately I only hit 5.7k last year so didn't get another but running at 1k a month at the moment so suspect I will this time. I'll email and ask - thanks.
Old Nov 26, 2019, 7:47 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
Originally Posted by KARFA

Are they still maintained by Gavin in a spreadsheet? Yes, definitely best to keep your own record.
Markie and KARFA like this.
Old Nov 27, 2019, 3:13 am

Originally Posted by golfmad

Are they still maintained by Gavin in a spreadsheet? Yes, definitely best to keep your own record.
"Gavin" (not real name) got back to me in hours to confirm status. All good. Thanks.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.