Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

LATAM signs two separate JVs with BA/IB and AA

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

LATAM signs two separate JVs with BA/IB and AA

Search this Thread

Old Jan 14, 2016, 6:40 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold
Thumbs up LATAM signs two separate JVs with BA/IB and AA

Now pending approval from the relevant authorities, the EU and multiple South American nations.

LATAM says it expects the agreement to formalise within 18 months.

Link: http://www.iairgroup.com/phoenix.zht...int&ID=2129415

AG and Latam Airlines Group Sign Joint Business Agreement

International Airlines Group (IAG) has signed a joint business agreement between British Airways, Iberia and LATAM Airlines Group on flights between Europe and South America.

The joint business would benefit customers by providing better links between Europe and South America, greater choice of flights and enhanced frequent flyer benefits.

The airlines plan to seek approval from the appropriate competition authorities in South America and will inform the regulatory authorities in the European Union.

Under the joint business, British Airways, Iberia and LATAM Airlines Group would cooperate commercially on flights between the European Union and South America. They would expand their codeshare arrangements on flights between and within Europe and South America, significantly increasing the number of destinations that the airlines can offer customers.

Today’s announcement is a significant step towards strengthening customer choice. The agreement would also strengthen the oneworld alliance in which all the airlines are members.

Customers would be able to travel more easily on the airlines’ combined route network which would serve more than 100 destinations in South America and 87 destinations in Europe. By working together to provide enhanced links for connecting passengers the airlines would expand customer choice via integrated networks, new non-stop routes, additional frequencies on existing routes and combined fares.

In addition, customers would have more opportunities to earn and redeem frequent flyer miles (Avios, LANPASS and TAM Fidelidade) on flights worldwide as well as continued reciprocal airport lounge access.
Link: http://atwonline.com/finance-data/la...erican-and-iag

Chile-headquartered LATAM Airlines LAN.SN said on Thursday that it has inked separate business agreements to deepen its ties with American Airlines Group Inc and IAG's British Airlines and Iberia, members of the Oneworld Alliance.

"Throughout the implementation of the agreements, each airline will continue to operate independently and maintain control of their respective operations. These agreements will not cause any changes to the ownership or administration of the airlines," the company said in a statement.

American and LATAM plan to apply for immunity from antitrust law, which would help the airlines coordinate schedules and prices for flights among their countries of operation.

If approved, the agreement between American and LATAM would improve connectivity between South America and the United States and Canada. The agreement between LATAM and IAG's British and Iberia would increase flight options between Europe and Latin America.
Thumbs up all round

Last edited by SinoBritAsia; Jan 14, 2016 at 9:41 pm Reason: Added IAG statement. Details from LATAM
Old Jan 14, 2016, 6:45 pm

Programs: A3 *G, BA OWS, IHG Diamond Amb, Bonvoy Plat
Lovely. The TATL and the trans-Americas markets seems to be strengthening quite a bit!

Hopefully the same improves on the Europe-Asia and intra-Asian front, where such cooperation seems sparse.
Old Jan 15, 2016, 1:31 am

Programs: BA, LH, VS, Hyatt, SPG
I think this bodes well for the launch of LHR-SCL by BA.
Old Jan 15, 2016, 1:46 am

Programs: BA, TK, HHonours, Le Club, Best Western Rewards
Interesting also announced this week that IAG over took Lufthansa in terms of Revenue Passenger Kilometers (RPK) flown (helped a bit by EI, but the full effect of that has not come into force yet). Bloomberg

Air France-KLM is still the largest by this measure but the value of IAG is 7 times that of Air France-KLM and nearly 2.5 times that of Lufthansa group.

With AA being the biggest airline in north America (by RPK), if IAG becomes number one in Europe I wonder if that will change the dynamic of One World in competing with Star Alliance?
Old Jan 15, 2016, 2:21 am

Programs: BA Silver, AF Ivory
Originally Posted by ian001
That would be great! Fingers crossed
Old Jan 15, 2016, 4:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Worcester
if IAG becomes number one in Europe I wonder if that will change the dynamic of One World in competing with Star Alliance?
You would also need to look at the distribution of traffic. Last I looked, BA was very strong on EUR-North America traffic but comparatively weak on EUR-Asia. I have not looked at recent figures but I would expect it to still be true. *A has never been especially strong on Europe-North America.
Old Jan 15, 2016, 4:17 am

Programs: BA Gold, TK Elite, AZ CFP
Finally! LATAM has a strong and efficient product, their lounges are also very good. The IT needs significant improvements as well as partnership, booking a last minute Avios ticket with TAM from Brasil was a nightmare.
Old Jan 15, 2016, 4:25 am

Programs: BA, TK, HHonours, Le Club, Best Western Rewards
Originally Posted by NickB
You would also need to look at the distribution of traffic. Last I looked, BA was very strong on EUR-North America traffic but comparatively weak on EUR-Asia. I have not looked at recent figures but I would expect it to still be true. *A has never been especially strong on Europe-North America.

True and I don't have the data either, but I can see Chinese carriers taking the size of OW in these mature and wealthy markets into consideration.

We may yet see the day when you can conntect AA > BA > CA
Old Jan 15, 2016, 4:34 am

Programs: IB+, BAEC
Originally Posted by Worcester
Interesting also announced this week that IAG over took Lufthansa in terms of Revenue Passenger Kilometers (RPK) flown (helped a bit by EI, but the full effect of that has not come into force yet). Bloomberg

Air France-KLM is still the largest by this measure but the value of IAG is 7 times that of Air France-KLM and nearly 2.5 times that of Lufthansa group.

With AA being the biggest airline in north America (by RPK), if IAG becomes number one in Europe I wonder if that will change the dynamic of One World in competing with Star Alliance?

Man that article barely mentions VY but it's got a huge amount of traffic and crazy growth rate.
Old Jan 16, 2016, 6:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Although these have been announced as two discrete ventures, I think it unlikely that the timing be coincidental.

What I would hope to see is better compatability between fares between the three continents. At present if one wishes to build a trip comprising Europe, North and South America on oneworld, the only option is a oneworld Circle Atlantic fare (very pricey and requires a proper TA to arrange) or a pricing unit comprising several full Y/J fares.
Old Jan 16, 2016, 6:53 am

Programs: BA: CCR / GGL / GFL Marriott: PtFL
+1 ^

Sounds perfect for a 787.
Old Jan 16, 2016, 8:21 am

Programs: MUCCI
We all live in hope. It would be perfect for the 788/789 depending on route demographics and predicted market but at some point I reckon we'll get it. Will be a hell of a long flight though. It's nearly 7,300 miles so a good 14-15 hours each way.... Will be interesting to see if BA tries to develop these super long routes. Others would be Jakarta and Hawaii and then after that it's the best part of Australia...

FD.

Originally Posted by peterrabbit
Quote:

+1

Sounds perfect for a 787.
Old Jan 16, 2016, 8:27 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Any idea why Lan doesn't operate the route?
Old Jan 16, 2016, 8:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by HIDDY
Any idea why Lan doesn't operate the route?
It's very very long and I would imagine that there is not much high yielding demand for it.

At present there are a number of obvious connecting options (MAD, SAO, RIO) that would be difficult for a nonstop to compete with.

If LA had a spare plane for longhaul available I would suspect they would get better use out of sending it to PEK or PVG instead.
Old Jan 16, 2016, 8:51 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Calchas
It's very very long and I would imagine that there is not much high yielding demand for it.

At present there are a number of obvious connecting options (MAD, SAO, RIO) that would be difficult for a nonstop to compete with.

If LA had a spare plane for longhaul available I would suspect they would get better use out of sending it to PEK or PVG instead.
They do have quite a few 787 aircraft...I see it flying overhead as they fly between SCL-EZE. Maybe this new venture will now make the SCL-LHR route a viable proposition for them to operate?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.