Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Booking & passport name not the same, can't fly?

Booking & passport name not the same, can't fly?

Old Aug 8, 18, 8:07 am
Moderator: GLBT travelers, India-based Airlines and India; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Yes!
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave View Post
The ticket name and API data are for two different people. Immigration authorities want to know who is planning to arrive, they look at API and test to see if they are OK with the data. Airlines are only interested in ticket names and are interested in two features - will the person get into the arrival country without leading to a hefty fine to the airline, AND has the ticket been issued to the right traveller (so no reselling of tickets on to someone else). Of those three tests, your traveller appears to have had no problem with the first two, and within the EEA there is freedom of movement anyway. So the gate agent checked it was an EEA passport and was at that point it was clear that entry would not be denied. For the third test, it's up to the airline to challenge if they wish, and clearly your companion did have the paperwork to meet this challenge. Some airlines are more ruthless at revenue protection than others, so I'm not sure what would be the point in buying tickets in a married name, travelling under maiden name (I can understand the reverse to a degree) since it seems to be potentially unnecessary hassle. But this is all about a commercial policy rather than the law.
Somewhat related question. A close friend is traveling to Australia next week. Her name on the ticket and her passport is different by one letter. Let's say it is Jane Austen on the passport vs. Jane Auste on the ticket. (Incidentally her BAEC account also is under Jane Auste!) Her Australia e-visa is linked to her correct passport name Jane Austen.

Will she have issues with this? Especially since it is Australia...

Final operating carrier into Aus is MH.
Old Aug 8, 18, 9:01 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
2019 FlyerTalk Awards

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by AJLondon View Post
Will she have issues with this? Especially since it is Australia...

Final operating carrier into Aus is MH.
Her passport will be checked automatically via the API process for Australia, that will give a yes or no in its own right, and separate from ticketing. As for whether the agent notices, somewhat unlikely I suspect, but usually a few letters difference can be corrected at the desk. However I'm not sure MH's approach here. Personally I'd not point it out and just breeze along. I have flown on MH with my deliberately truncated name without problem.
AJLondon likes this.
Old Aug 8, 18, 9:06 am
Moderator: GLBT travelers, India-based Airlines and India; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Yes!
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave View Post
Her passport will be checked automatically via the API process for Australia, that will give a yes or no in its own right, and separate from ticketing. As for whether the agent notices, somewhat unlikely I suspect, but usually a few letters difference can be corrected at the desk. However I'm not sure MH's approach here. Personally I'd not point it out and just breeze along. I have flown on MH with my deliberately truncated name without problem.
Thanks! Agree with your approach here.

Out of curiosity, I know the API process for Australia looks at the passport and linked e-visas - which are both the same for her, so should be no issues there. However, is there any pax manifest / ticket name cross-check and comparison of that with passport/visa in the automated API - in which case there may be a mismatch. Or is that part only an "eyeball" check by check-in agent?
Old Aug 8, 18, 9:09 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
2019 FlyerTalk Awards

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by AJLondon View Post
Out of curiosity, I know the API process for Australia looks at the passport and linked e-visas - which are both the same for her, so should be no issues there. However, is there any pax manifest / ticket name cross-check and comparison of that with passport/visa in the automated API - in which case there may be a mismatch. Or is that only an "eyeball" check by check-in agent?
It's two separate systems though the API system does hold the expected flight number and so on. Some airlines have integrated this into their own system, notably BA via Ready to Fly.
AJLondon likes this.
Old Aug 8, 18, 9:33 am

Programs: BA Silver
Re MH's attention to names being correct- I have had my name mangled by MH on a BP despite being correct on the e-ticket receipt- not one of the usual corruptions (truncated, merged or an initial or title appended) but a random extra letter was added in the middle of my first name. Seemed to cause no problem at all.
AJLondon likes this.
Old Aug 8, 18, 9:35 am

Programs: Tufty Club (Gold), BAGA Gymnastics level 4, 440yds swimming certificate
IF the name error is a couple of characters airlines are normally good at changing it prior to travel. I think if its more than 2-3 characters though they'd normally say tough