Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

British Airways - child turns 2 during travel

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 6, 2016, 3:58 pm
Original Poster

Can anyone offer any advice please. We fly to Barcelona with British Airways before our cruise on 3rd Feb (son will be on Dad's knee, while we are away he turns 2. Our return flight from Barcelona is 14th Feb and he will be 2, therefore he has to have a seat. A friend questions whether we have a seat on the way back so we ring British Airways today who say - we can't change his seat until he turns two. Meaning we will have to ring British Airways from the Mediterranean Sea to try and book a seat for him and if there are no seats - he can't fly! There state they cannot make any changes to the flight until he actually turns two. Meaning the want us to ring them on the 6th Feb, or after to confirm he has a flight home.

Is that not the most ridiculous thing in the world?! Surely a huge company like British Airways have encountered this before?

My apologies if this in the wrong area of the forums.

Last edited by Catty212; Jan 6, 2016 at 4:00 pm Reason: apologies added
Old Jan 6, 2016, 4:44 pm

Programs: BA Silver
This would be best answered on the BA forum. In fact it came up a few days ago on another thread.

Answer from the BA website was :

"If you're travelling with an infant who reaches the age of two during their journey, your child will need their own seat for any flights on and after their 2nd birthday. However, there is no charge for this; you will still only pay the infant fare for the entire journey.
As your infant will only be required to have a seat for part of your trip, this can't be booked online, so contact us and we'll be pleased to help you."

http://www.britishairways.com/en-gb/information/family-travel/planning-your-trip#tickets
Old Jan 6, 2016, 4:49 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Welcome to Flyertalk, Catty212
Please continue to follow this thread in the British Airways Forum.
Thanks..
Obscure2k
TravelBuzz Moderator
Old Jan 6, 2016, 5:07 pm

Programs: Mucci de la Cuisine Aérienne du Réseau Courte Durée de British Airways
Ring up again because that does not sound correct. You can purchase a seat for a child that is under two.
Old Jan 6, 2016, 5:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
Ring up again.
From ba.com:
How old is an infant, child or young adult?

Infants: 0 - 23 months

You must always have a ticket for your infant's journey.

Children: 2 - 11 years

Young adults: 12 – 15 years

Infants who become children while travelling

If you're travelling with an infant who reaches the age of two during their journey, your child will need their own seat for any flights on and after their 2nd birthday. However, there is no charge for this; you will still only pay the infant fare for the entire journey.

As your infant will only be required to have a seat for part of your trip, this can't be booked online, so contact us and we'll be pleased to help you.
http://www.britishairways.com/en-gb/...ning-your-trip

See also:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...n-sectors.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...oophole-2.html
Old Jan 7, 2016, 2:20 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hotels.com Gold
We were in this situation recently.

You have to make the booking on the phone. BA policy is generous - you will be charged an infant fare both ways. They will allocate a seat on the return flight for free at the time of booking.

The BA agent I spoke to on the phone sorted this out really efficiently.
Anonba likes this.
Old Jan 7, 2016, 3:16 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
OP - The agent with whom you spoke was wrong. Call back.
Old Jan 7, 2016, 4:00 pm

Originally Posted by Catty212
Can anyone offer any advice please. We fly to Barcelona with British Airways before our cruise on 3rd Feb (son will be on Dad's knee, while we are away he turns 2. Our return flight from Barcelona is 14th Feb and he will be 2, therefore he has to have a seat. A friend questions whether we have a seat on the way back so we ring British Airways today who say - we can't change his seat until he turns two. Meaning we will have to ring British Airways from the Mediterranean Sea to try and book a seat for him and if there are no seats - he can't fly! There state they cannot make any changes to the flight until he actually turns two. Meaning the want us to ring them on the 6th Feb, or after to confirm he has a flight home.

Is that not the most ridiculous thing in the world?! Surely a huge company like British Airways have encountered this before?

My apologies if this in the wrong area of the forums.

As others have stated this is wrong.

If they have been booked as an infant and turn two mid travel then another booking reference is set up for the return to hold availability for a seat.

This is tcp to the main booking to ensure that they are given a seat next to someone from your party.

Last edited by Anonba; Nov 20, 2022 at 2:34 pm
Old Jan 9, 2016, 12:35 am

Programs: QF
Does this apply in any cabin? I will be travelling SYD - LHR next year with my daughter around her second birthday (I'm doing it this year just after her first birthday on SQ) and we'll be travelling F likely with BA.

If we fly out with her as a lap infant before her 2nd birthday and return after, will she get her own F seat? Surely not?
Old Jan 9, 2016, 1:18 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Apologies Catty212, for some reason we didn't spot your arrival here, so welcome to Flyertalk and to the BA Board. Please make yourself at home here, and it would be good if you could let us know how this worked out in the end. Welcome on board.
Old Jan 9, 2016, 8:32 am

Originally Posted by firstclassnewbie
If we fly out with her as a lap infant before her 2nd birthday and return after, will she get her own F seat?
Exactly.
Old Jan 9, 2016, 10:02 am

Programs: BA Gold, EK Silver
Does this apply in any cabin? I will be travelling SYD - LHR next year with my daughter around her second birthday (I'm doing it this year just after her first birthday on SQ) and we'll be travelling F likely with BA.

If we fly out with her as a lap infant before her 2nd birthday and return after, will she get her own F seat? Surely not?
I did this last summer in CW. I was skeptical, but it worked.

The only down side, is they do not ticket the child until the morning of the flight. I was unable to get him a seat until we checked in at the airport, and then he was assigned a seat. I could check myself in online, but not my son. Ticket agents at JFK mentioned they had received the info about him that morning; he had the last seat on the LHR-DXB so I imagine there may be a case where a seat is unavailable. I have no idea what would happen in that situation.
Old Jan 9, 2016, 12:24 pm

Programs: QF
Originally Posted by sonoranjerseygirl
The only down side, is they do not ticket the child until the morning of the flight. I was unable to get him a seat until we checked in at the airport, and then he was assigned a seat. I could check myself in online, but not my son. Ticket agents at JFK mentioned they had received the info about him that morning; he had the last seat on the LHR-DXB so I imagine there may be a case where a seat is unavailable. I have no idea what would happen in that situation.
Seems a little high risk in terms of being bumped from the flight or myself and my wife getting seated away from our daughter. Does anyone have experience of how this would be handled?

Thanks.
Old Jan 9, 2016, 12:48 pm

Seems a little high risk in terms of being bumped from the flight or myself and my wife getting seated away from our daughter. Does anyone have experience of how this would be handled?

Thanks.
Rest assured that the gate will make sure you are seated with your 3 year old if it is not sorted out, as is likely, way before then.
Old Nov 1, 2016, 2:49 pm

I had the same scenario with my son turning 2 after his departure flight ,I called BA with a ref no. For him to have his own on his return flight they confirmed it for me .But no seat was assigned so here had to sit on my wife's lap for a 12 hour flight!
BA are giving me the runaround about a explanation!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.