Community
Wiki Posts
Search

747 first companion seat

Search this Thread

Old Jan 6, 2016, 11:52 am
Original Poster

747 first companion seat

Is the companion seat on the 747 actually usable in the window seats? The area around the seat looks very small to the point that im not even sure if it is supposed to be a seat.

Is it the same or better in the middle seats?

Also, are you welcome to use the seat at any time or is it just for the meal service? I suppose it is more the case that you probably wouldn't want to use it at any time other than for the meal.
Old Jan 6, 2016, 12:01 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
The companion seat is fine except for 1A/1K where is a bit cramped due to the curvature of the nose. The seat can be used at anytime other than take off and landing.
Old Jan 6, 2016, 12:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
It fairly small and you wouldn't want to sit there for too long, I would say an hour at the most.
Old Jan 6, 2016, 5:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC: Silver - Marriott: Titanium
I sat in it for about 45 minutes having a cuppa, in 1A and it was OK. I am a slightly rotund chap and anything more than 45 mins to an hour would not be so comfortable.
Old Jan 6, 2016, 6:30 pm

Programs: BAEC GFL, GGL, Hilton Diamond, EuroBonus Gold for Life, SPG Plat Elite
Mrs PTG will always use it if we are travelling together and unable to get the middle seats. Mind you she is petite, size 10. I am not too sure I would be as comfortable as she is. However only ever done 5A/K and 4A/K.
Old Jan 7, 2016, 3:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
I've always found it more of a perch than a sit, in row 2 as well as row 1. It didn't stop me doing it to share a table for lunch when we had 1A and 1K outbound on a day flight, but having done that novelty we didn't bother on the inbound day flight.
Old Jan 7, 2016, 8:46 am

As others have said, it's fine for a short while but it's definitely not a seat to sit back and relax into for ages.

1A and 1K buddy seats are a bit cramped on a 747. It's not so much if you're slightly rotund (although BBB you have shattered my fantasy about what you look like ), it's more an issue if you're broad-shouldered as you can't sit back properly if you are.
Old Jan 7, 2016, 9:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by London_traveller
As others have said, it's fine for a short while but it's definitely not a seat to sit back and relax into for ages.

1A and 1K buddy seats are a bit cramped on a 747. It's not so much if you're slightly rotund (although BBB you have shattered my fantasy about what you look like ), it's more an issue if you're broad-shouldered as you can't sit back properly if you are.
Ha...
Old Jan 7, 2016, 11:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If you imagine BBB to be a hunk you won't be disappointed, all I will say is that he has alot to offer.
Old Jan 7, 2016, 12:31 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by Can I help you
If you imagine BBB to be a hunk you won't be disappointed, all I will say is that he has alot to offer.
I can back this opinion up!
Old Jan 7, 2016, 12:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You are just one of many James.
Old Jan 7, 2016, 12:42 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold / M-Life Gold / HH Diamond
I've had dinner in a companion seat, it's not as spacious as the main seat (obviously), but fine for an average sized, 6'2" tall, chap like me I concur about the buddy seat in row 1... Compact and bijou
Old Jan 7, 2016, 12:56 pm

Programs: BAEC, IHG, LeClub, HHonors
I'm tall and broad and found it ok but wouldn't be sitting there long, my Mrs sat in it while we ate together. We were in 2k/3k
Old Jan 7, 2016, 2:46 pm

I'm about 6'2" (188cm) and 15st 8lb (99kg). I'm fairly broad shouldered and skinny backsided. Usually spend the time it takes for the meal service and a couple of drinks sat in my wife's buddy seat, usually on K side.
I'd guess it's around an hour and a half?
One thing I do try and stick to is for the pair of us to sit in the rear most of our seats (eg 3k if you are travelling in 2k & 3k).
The reason do this is because in the buddy seat, your head is quite close to the person in the seat in front.
If your talking to your buddy you don't want to be disturbing the person trying to sleep in front.
Old Jan 7, 2016, 4:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jamesreid978
I can back this opinion up!
You weren't bad yourself...

Originally Posted by Can I help you
You are just one of many James.
No no... I am very selective as to who gets special attention onboard...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.