Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Temporary BA Lounge at LGW North - No. 1 Lounge - Photos, reviews, questions

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 4, 2016, 4:17 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
Temporary BA Lounge at LGW North - No. 1 Traveller Lounge - Photos, reviews, questions

The thread is to share experiences, photos, reviews and questions of the temporary lounge in London Gatwick (LGW) North Terminal.

This thread has been created as a partner thread to this discussion, which is a more suitable place to discuss the broader issues relating to the move to the South terminal:
BA to move to LGW South Terminal Nov 2016

Update 14 April 2016
25 January 2017 is the official opening date of the new lounge in LGW.

"The new lounge will have more space with better facilities and the location will offer impressive views across the runway. The new lounge will also have full kitchen facilities and an exclusive area for our First customers and Gold Executive Club members."

Thanks to Happytohelp for this intel
Print Wikipost

Temporary BA Lounge at LGW North - No. 1 Lounge - Photos, reviews, questions

Search this Thread

Old Jan 7, 2016, 3:34 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
I think that's only enforced if you order several items at once. If you order items with a decent gap between them then they'll keep on coming!

For the power - there are loads of sockets along the Library wall, and a long table with sockets by the office. And multiple sockets along the back of the buffet. There are a lot more sockets in No. 1 than in Galleries, probably more than twice as many.

[It's interesting about it being busy this morning - I only turned up on Tuesday in the afternoon]
Nice one on the extra food.

Second bacon roll ordered.
Old Jan 7, 2016, 1:51 pm

Programs: UA - 1K, Marriott - Gold, Hilton - Gold, Global Entry,
I flew out of LGW yesterday morning and used the no 1 lounge. The lounge checkin was a bit of a zoo and I felt could have been handled more efficiently.

They have two BA desks out in the hall opposite the lift and you have to check in at the first desk to get a pass to go into the lounge. There was a bit of a queue and about 4 BA staff members standing around looking like they were doing nothing at the 2nd desk so I walked over to the 2nd desk (guest services) and asked if they could check me in and they said no, i needed to go back to the first queue. While I was having a winge about how bad the premium aka slow track security lane was to one of the guest services reps, another 6 people joined the check in queue behind me so it took me even longer to get into the lounge.

The lounge itself wasn't too bad other than being a bit crowded. I walked through the library, and that seemed like a nice area - quiet, no families, plenty of seats, but I was meeting a couple of colleagues and they weren't in there. I'm not sure if you can bring food into the library area. I thought the breakfast offering was on par with or a little better than the BA business lounge, but worse than the F lounge. I wasn't drinking any alcohol at 7 am, but I'll miss the better quality drinks in the F lounge. My breakfast order came pretty fast. I just wandered up to a lounge attendant at a computer and he put my order in and gave me a number to put on the table.

I'd definitely rate it as a downgrade from the F lounge, but I thought it was on bar with the business lounge and it's much better than some of the lounges that I get to frequent on business trips.
Old Jan 8, 2016, 6:23 am

Programs: Skyteam Elite+, VS Red, HHonours Diamond, Accor Plat
I'm currently sat in the no 1 lounge and its almost completely empty. Interestingly, I tried to make a priority pass booking for this time yesterday and got the message that the lounge had reached capacity. I had to move the booking by an hour before it would accept it. From that I deduce the lounge is playing it safe with advance bookings to ensure capacity remains available.

If you are flying from LGW you may want to know that world duty free is targeting some customers with a VIP voucher. You get this after you make a purchase if the till decides you qualify. The voucher is worth between 22% and 40% of everything on your next purchase (must be used the same day) so not a bad deal at all. I hope Mrs _f enjoys her new perfume...

Last edited by stuart_f; Jan 8, 2016 at 6:29 am
Old Jan 8, 2016, 8:17 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
Just went in the LGW No. 1 lounge for the first time. Not bad overall.

Food service was a serious failure: we ordered two of the winter stew and left 25 minutes later when it still had not shown up. When all the main meal items are on the menu with only a small salad and cake buffet, so you have to order off the menu, then the service must be fast.

We were not impressed that it could take longer than 25 minutes to dish up some stew and drop a dumpling in it.

Last edited by flatlander; Jan 16, 2016 at 8:46 am Reason: fix grammar
Old Jan 8, 2016, 8:47 am

Programs: IHG Diamond Amb, Bonvoy Plat (+LTP), VS Silver
I was directed this afternoon to the My Lounge rather than the main No 1 Traveller lounge - not bad but virtually no food options.
Old Jan 8, 2016, 8:58 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AA, BA, Accor, Honors Diamond, IHG Diamond Elite and lots more....
Originally Posted by davidw70
I was directed this afternoon to the My Lounge rather than the main No 1 Traveller lounge - not bad but virtually no food options.
Was the other one full?
Old Jan 8, 2016, 9:22 am

Programs: IHG Diamond Amb, Bonvoy Plat (+LTP), VS Silver
Originally Posted by GentleGiant
Was the other one full?
Not sure. No explanation given and I didn't realise it was a different lounge initially
Old Jan 8, 2016, 3:38 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
Originally Posted by davidw70
I was offered the choice without much explanation of the difference, but forewarned by FT I just politely said I would like the No. 1 lounge because I wanted hot food, and that was fine. Not that that was successful so I may just go for the MyLounge next time
Old Jan 8, 2016, 6:12 pm

Programs: BAEC, Etihad Guest, Platinum Tesco Tart
Originally Posted by flatlander
I was offered the choice without much explanation of the difference, but forewarned by FT I just politely said I would like the No. 1 lounge because I wanted hot food, and that was fine. Not that that was successful so I may just go for the MyLounge next time
Hmmmm, so as an F passenger next week, not only will I have to pay for champagne if I want it, but I may also not actually get access to No 1 and will have to go to MyLounge instead.

Gosh, what an experience! Personally I really do not like MyLounge.
Old Jan 9, 2016, 5:10 am

Programs: BAEC Gold; ITA Platinum; HH Gold
Well, this is my 2 pence on the Lounge.

I have two flights from Gatwick today and am just waiting for my second flight and I am in the middle of the second visit to the lounge. The area where the food is laid out was very busy this morning (approx 7am), however the tables where you can eat to the left of the food is nice and quiet. I am current sitting in the library and it's probably the best place to be, relaxing and relatively quiet.

I had the fish finger sandwich this morning, which was good, and I am just about to have the winter beef stew. I can live without champagne for a few hours and will wait for a few glasses when onboard. I did however have some nice prosecco in the Jersey lounge earlier today

PS: Sue Barker is sitting a few seats away from me. If it's good enough for her, then it's good enough for me :-)

Last edited by walmon1977; Jan 9, 2016 at 5:28 am
Old Jan 9, 2016, 5:31 am

Programs: Star Alliance Gold (A3 Gold), Oneworld Emerald (BA Gold), Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by walmon1977
PS: Sue Barker is sitting a few seats away from me. If it's good enough for her, then it's good enough for me :-)
The thought of Sue Barker tucking into a fish finger sandwich makes me smile.
Old Jan 9, 2016, 6:08 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

Exclamation Housekeeping notice

As we there two themes overlapping in this thread: actual reviews of this lounge versus a lengthy rhetorical discussion on champagne provision, I have moved the latter group into the http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...ov-2016-a.html thread.

I hope that with this subdivision, the contributions relating to the lounge experience can now be read with greater ease than before.

Prospero
Moderator: BA forum
Old Jan 9, 2016, 9:58 pm

Programs: CAMRA GGL (Gold Card Holder/Lifetime membership)
Is the My Lounge free self serve bar ? I hated the No1 lounge when I used it with the Gatwick express first class offer a few years ago, cos they served the drinks rather than self serve!

Forget the food, if the My Lounge is self serve bar I'll be heading there instead.

On a side note, we are travelling next on Feb 11th (Thursday of half term) in the afternoon, and no not with any kids ! Is the lounge expected to be hellish ??
Old Jan 9, 2016, 10:11 pm

Programs: BA Silver (OWS)
Yes, My Lounge is self serve. There is not a particularly large selection to choose from though.
Old Jan 9, 2016, 11:36 pm

Programs: CAMRA GGL (Gold Card Holder/Lifetime membership)
Originally Posted by zeltergiset
Yes, My Lounge is self serve. There is not a particularly large selection to choose from though.
How I'll miss the 14 year old single malt one came to expect in the BA lounge.. And the fizz of course :'(

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.