LHR T5 immigration rant

Old Jan 4, 16, 2:30 am
Original Poster

LHR T5 immigration rant

Only 4 of 17 immigration desks manned this morning 09;45 AM at T5. Also 10 of 15 ePassportgates non-operational. Ridiculous.
Old Jan 4, 16, 2:35 am

Programs: BAEC (continued soft landing)
Yeah, when I came back last week there were around half of the e-gates closed. The queue was still moving very quickly, so I didn't mind. But I did enquire as to whether those ones were on strike.
Old Jan 4, 16, 3:02 am

Programs: BA GGL, AA Plat Pro
Same today, large number of e-gates were closed. Situation not helped by pax not reading the very clear instructions on how to use them.
Old Jan 4, 16, 3:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BAEC LT Gold, HH Dia, MR LT Plat, IC RA, Kimpton Inner Circle, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by jfs5 View Post
Only 4 of 17 immigration desks manned this morning 09;45 AM at T5. Also 10 of 15 ePassportgates non-operational. Ridiculous.
Isn't it the same issue though with normal gates and e-gates? If there are too few staff they can't open a channel or cope with a number of e-gates (I am not sure how the e-gates are contended to UKBF staff though but perhaps 5 per person?).
Old Jan 4, 16, 3:23 am

Programs: BA GGL, AA Plat Pro
Could well be, could only see one member of staff on the e-gates
Old Jan 4, 16, 4:42 am
Ziz

Programs: BA Gold, Aeroplan pleb, Skyteam Elite Plus
Even when the gates are all open, people still don't seem to figure out that they should go to any gate that is green. People seem to stand at the front of the line until either the gate closest to them turns green or the attendant directs them. Most of the time the attendants just say 'go to a green gate' which doesn't help people really. Would be good if they lined people up proactively behind in-use gates so that they were ready when it turned green.
Old Jan 4, 16, 4:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BAEC LT Gold, HH Dia, MR LT Plat, IC RA, Kimpton Inner Circle, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by Ziz View Post
Even when the gates are all open, people still don't seem to figure out that they should go to any gate that is green. People seem to stand at the front of the line until either the gate closest to them turns green or the attendant directs them. Most of the time the attendants just say 'go to a green gate' which doesn't help people really. Would be good if they lined people up proactively behind in-use gates so that they were ready when it turned green.
Yes I noticed this last night whilst waiting for the e-gates last night. The chip in the passport should be upgraded to facilitate the electrocution of numpties who can't work this out.

I still tend to have an issue with my hand luggage fouling the system which only seems to happen at LHR not at LCY or any EU outpost.
Old Jan 4, 16, 4:57 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, A3*Gold, AA Plat, HH Gold, IHG Plat Amb, Marriott Plat
So many years on and I still miss IRIS.

Subjectively, US immigration now feels more efficient than the UK. The Americans have automated kiosks which work and a frequent traveler scheme which has simplified things immensely.

Who would have thought that 2-3 years ago?
Old Jan 4, 16, 4:57 am

Programs: BAEC (continued soft landing)
Originally Posted by Ziz View Post
They were actively doing this actually when I arrived last week.

Telling people to line up behind the shortest gate queue. I joined a queue which seemed to be for one gate. Either way I was out within probably 3-4 mins of joining the queue. Ms r00ty with a national ID card rather than passport for ID was considerably longer in the manual queue.

All of that in mind, she was still faster than baggage delivery. So, the only advantage I had was a seat next to the carousel while I waited.
Old Jan 4, 16, 5:16 am
Formerly known as linzbh

Programs: BAEC Gold
Im a Registered Traveller and it is so hit and miss, such a waste of money. My one attempt at the E-gate failed miserably and I seem to get more questions from immigration than before.

I stopping myself from naturalising to British citizenship to keep my access to Fast Track immigration which seems to be the fastest queue through immigration most of the time.

Although, at Gatwick I got screamed and abuse by other passengers for skipping the fast track queue at gatwick which was about 20 deep because they have a separate registered traveller queue and they all thought I was just trying to skip. I showed them all what was what though :P and got a very sincere apology from the Immigration officer who said Registered traveller wasn't being communicated well enough.
Old Jan 4, 16, 5:17 am

Programs: BA, TK, HHonours, Le Club, Best Western Rewards
How are the UK border staff paid for. Is there a levy on the airport/airline or do the funds come directly from central government?
Old Jan 4, 16, 5:26 am
Formerly known as linzbh

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by Worcester View Post
How are the UK border staff paid for. Is there a levy on the airport/airline or do the funds come directly from central government?
Through the thousands and thousands of pounds they charge for Visas per person. Absolutely astronomical. They are really weeding out people who can only really afford it or putting peoples lives at risk with loan sharks etc. so they can afford the fees.

Old Jan 4, 16, 5:30 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by Tafflyer View Post
So many years on and I still miss IRIS.

Subjectively, US immigration now feels more efficient than the UK. The Americans have automated kiosks which work and a frequent traveler scheme which has simplified things immensely.

Who would have thought that 2-3 years ago?
That's never my experience at JFK !!
Old Jan 4, 16, 5:32 am

I find it quicker to navigate UK immigration checks by returning via Calais and hide in the back of a lorry.
Old Jan 4, 16, 6:10 am

Programs: BA, TK, HHonours, Le Club, Best Western Rewards
Originally Posted by linzbh View Post
Through the thousands and thousands of pounds they charge for Visas per person. Absolutely astronomical. They are really weeding out people who can only really afford it or putting peoples lives at risk with loan sharks etc. so they can afford the fees.

Yes, the form that my mother in law filled in has a question

"Are you or have you ever been part of a terrorist organisation?"

"Have you ever committed Genocide?"

I wonder how many people they have caught that way?

Search this Thread
Search Engine: