Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Ex DUB logistics and positioning | clinic thread

Old Jan 9, 2016, 2:35 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Pilot37
This is a "clinic" thread, so a great way to find out how to go via Dublin Airport en route to somewhere else (probably!). It covers issues such as back to back flights, overnight stopovers, passport and security issues, and logistical issues. There have been some recent posts about the viability of back to back trips, for which more reports of recent experiences would be helpful. See post 1468 onwards for more information.

Other threads which may well be useful include:
BA Tier Point Runs 2017
Premium Fare deals (J and F)
Ex-Mainland Europe Travel Planning Guide
Back-to-back / Immediate Turnarounds at BA Destinations
Travel with BA from Cork, Shannon and Knock - a pictorial guide

These sorts of flight arrangements aren't for everyone. If you have a family and luggage to check in, the potential cost savings have to weighed against the additional hassle and risk. Generally speaking it is safest to go either back to back or overnight - the latter is easier with checked luggage. The underlying logic for this is in this post.
Print Wikipost

Ex DUB logistics and positioning | clinic thread

Old Jan 20, 2019, 6:52 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by BingBongBoy
I am positioning too and from in CE, will that allow me access to a lounge at DUB?

I, again being risk averse, booked the following rotation of BA aircraft to get back on, so will have 2.5 hours to kill in DUB.
Ah, many sapphires and other precious metals can be found on the island of Ireland.

Overnight is a good idea to start with, and I would encourage you to do something in Dublin in the evening to add value to the exercise. And for the return, you say risk adverse but if you imagine the amount of flights between Dublin and assorted UK airports you're not really going to end up stranded, even if you need to use one of Mr. o'Leary's finest. A healthy Avios balance and a working pair of BA/FR Apps on your phone will get you out of any problem provided it's not something like the first day of school holiday or a rugby international. I can't see the flights you have in mind, that seems a long B2B time wise, but they do sometimes happen there, and to reiterate, if your return leg it's so easy to get out of trouble there anyway. There is a thread in the Dashboard giving other options for Cork, Shannon and Knock - usually the fares are the same but the airports are somewhat less congested, to say the least. I need to add Kerry County and Donegal / Carrickfergus when I get a moment.

Yes you would have lounge access in Dublin if departing in CE regardless of status. I wouldn't plan on a long visit, but 30 minutes there would be grand.
BingBongBoy likes this.
Old Jan 20, 2019, 7:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC: Silver - Marriott: Titanium
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Ah, many sapphires and other precious metals can be found on the island of Ireland.

Overnight is a good idea to start with, and I would encourage you to do something in Dublin in the evening to add value to the exercise. And for the return, you say risk adverse but if you imagine the amount of flights between Dublin and assorted UK airports you're not really going to end up stranded, even if you need to use one of Mr. o'Leary's finest. A healthy Avios balance and a working pair of BA/FR Apps on your phone will get you out of any problem provided it's not something like the first day of school holiday or a rugby international. I can't see the flights you have in mind, that seems a long B2B time wise, but they do sometimes happen there, and to reiterate, if your return leg it's so easy to get out of trouble there anyway. There is a thread in the Dashboard giving other options for Cork, Shannon and Knock - usually the fares are the same but the airports are somewhat less congested, to say the least. I need to add Kerry County and Donegal / Carrickfergus when I get a moment.

Yes you would have lounge access in Dublin if departing in CE regardless of status. I wouldn't plan on a long visit, but 30 minutes there would be grand.
Sorry, that was my bad explanation... I have booked the next flight back, not the immediate B2B, but the next full rotation out of LHR. Hence having the 2.5 hours to kill before the return flight.

Thanks for all your advice... I will be staying in the city, its not that far and I see enough airport hotels at work. So, city hotel and something in the evening before the early flight back to LHR.
Old Jan 20, 2019, 9:34 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Sorry, that was my bad explanation... I have booked the next flight back, not the immediate B2B, but the next full rotation out of LHR. Hence having the 2.5 hours to kill before the return flight.
That is obviously riskier than a true back to back, so I would never recommend this, but I imagine BBB isn't going to go HBO anytime soon! Yes, that's OK I guess, if a bit risky, there is the chance of bad weather at either end which then puts flights out of sync but so long as you have a few thousand Avios in your account and a few Euro in your wallet it's almost certain there will be multiplel Plan Bs available. Even more so if you add in trains via Belfast and ferries to Holyhead

Enjoy Dublin fair city (though the next line won't cut much ice!).
Old Jan 20, 2019, 10:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

That is obviously riskier than a true back to back, so I would never recommend this, but I imagine BBB isn't going to go HBO anytime soon! Yes, that's OK I guess, if a bit risky, there is the chance of bad weather at either end which then puts flights out of sync but so long as you have a few thousand Avios in your account and a few Euro in your wallet it's almost certain there will be multiplel Plan Bs available. Even more so if you add in trains via Belfast and ferries to Holyhead

Enjoy Dublin fair city (though the next line won't cut much ice!).

HBO? Don't be silly...
Old Jan 20, 2019, 11:19 am

Programs: BA Silver, VS Silver
I need to add Kerry County and Donegal / Carrickfergus when I get a moment.
I think you mean Carrickfinn? Though there was a mad cap plan recently to build a Boris-Island-esque estuary airport in Carrickfergus to replace both Belfast airports....
Old Jan 20, 2019, 11:38 am

Originally Posted by bd95
I think you mean Carrickfinn? Though there was a mad cap plan recently to build a Boris-Island-esque estuary airport in Carrickfergus to replace both Belfast airports....
Sorry yes, not sure how I got that wrong since I know both places quite well. Donegal Airport is its official name but it's nowhere near Donegal. Or anywhere else for that matter.
Old Feb 24, 2019, 5:37 am

Programs: BA GGL, Hyatt Globalist and HHonors Diamond
Update from Dublin BA 834/835 today

About to complete a Dublin shuffle ahead of a flight to the States. BA 834 left London a little bit late and doors opened in dublin at 12:15 (10 mins late)
Was in CE with luggage stored in the first lounge. Made it to immigration in 4 mins, through in 20 seconds. Through baggage claim up the right escalators and into fast track which took about 3-4 mins. Back at Gate 204 for BA 835 as group 1 started boarding at 12:29pm.
Thanks to the many posters on this forum for your guidance!
Old Feb 28, 2019, 8:08 pm

Programs: QF WP
Appreciate this isn’t really BA related but you guys will know best and I believe it’s technically available as a BA codeshare...

i’m looking at an EI LCY-DUB-LCY to experience the 146/RJ/hairdryer before they inevitably get retired some time in the nearish future
EI will let me book with a 40 minute turnaround- is this OK or insane?
Old Mar 1, 2019, 1:11 am

Originally Posted by nancypants
Appreciate this isn’t really BA related but you guys will know best and I believe it’s technically available as a BA codeshare...

i’m looking at an EI LCY-DUB-LCY to experience the 146/RJ/hairdryer before they inevitably get retired some time in the nearish future
EI will let me book with a 40 minute turnaround- is this OK or insane?
They still use the 200 pier for departures as a hangover from wX day’s, but are technically T2 flights as now EI. I’m not sure if that means getting bussed back to T2 on arrival and then going back through T2 departures (much worse than T1) and then walking all the way back to the 200 gates.
Old Mar 1, 2019, 6:38 am

Programs: BA EC Gold
Originally Posted by Arnie_b
luggage stored in the first lounge
Nice! Meanwhile, thanks to all the positive reports recently I've hopped back onto the horse and booked a DUB B2B & onward to NYC. My first in a couple years since a previously stressful experience.
Old Mar 1, 2019, 6:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dca100
Nice! Meanwhile, thanks to all the positive reports recently I've hopped back onto the horse and booked a DUB B2B & onward to NYC. My first in a couple years since a previously stressful experience.
I have one booked for end of March, looking forward to it again!
Old Apr 23, 2019, 6:47 am

Programs: BA EC Gold
I have one booked for end of March, looking forward to it again!
Ex-DUB B2B safely accomplished last week. In summary - thanks to following the collective wisdom here - it was a straightforward experience this time. Here's some datapoints:
  • LHR>DUB: 10:35am scheduled departure. Boarding started late and was slow
  • 10:45am doors closed
  • 11:17am wheels up
  • 12:32pm touchdown at DUB. Pilot had previously optimistically announced a 12:15 arrival time but had to do some additional circling north of the city
  • 12:35pm arrived at gate: (scheduled: 12:10pm)
  • BA app was now showing a delayed 13:23pm departure for the return leg vs 13:00 scheduled
  • 12:38pm doors open. Disembarked via the front. (Row 12 ET, CW back to 10)
  • 12:48pm through immigration e-gates (5 min wait in 5-deep queue)
  • Out through arrivals, up the escalator to FT security
  • 12:52pm arrived at fast track security. Took 4 minutes including a secondary swab check of my jacket
  • 12:59 back at gate for DUB>LHR
  • 13:12 boarding commenced
  • 13:57 wheels up
  • 15:02 arrival at gate at T5, 30 mins late despite the same very optimistic pilot saying he expected to make up the time and arrive on or close to schedule
  • 15:17 back through First Wing and in the lounge
Verdict: while not totally comfortable due to the in-bound delay, the circuit through DUB was smooth and quick. 20 mins from seat on the first leg to the gate for the return.
It would appear that delayed arrival does indeed = delayed departure (thankfully).
If the outward leg were to land on time or even early I’d go so far as saying it would be comfortable.
Old Apr 23, 2019, 7:27 am

Originally Posted by dca100
Verdict: while not totally comfortable due to the in-bound delay, the circuit through DUB was smooth and quick. 20 mins from seat on the first leg to the gate for the return.
It would appear that delayed arrival does indeed = delayed departure (thankfully).
If the outward leg were to land on time or even early I’d go so far as saying it would be comfortable.
That's actually quite a sticky - though not unusual - set of delays, and by the looks of it you had a good 15-30 minutes in hand even with that. I normally assume about 30 minutes from official departure time to being airborne, but also being able to recover 15 minutes on shorter services through schedule padding, and you were way over that. Thanks for the specific timings (it reminds me of someone else's posts) which makes it easy for those not used to this to see how it would all work out for their own B2B.
Old Apr 23, 2019, 7:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
I defer completely to C-W-S’ expertise, of course. But from my former ATCO POV, and having used DUB a few times (TATL and ‘Domestic’) I see a big problem with taxying and stands. Ground congestion can be a PITA, due to single runway operation and convoluted taxy routes and difficult stand access.

e.g.
(1) ex-TATL and sat in a ‘quiet corner’ waiting for 15+ minutes for ‘our’ stand to become free.
(2) ex-UK, remote stand and prolonged wait for bus to Terminal.
(3j departure queue behind 6-8 other aircraft for almost 30 minutes [OK, not really relevant to B2B, but indicative of congestion].
Old Jun 6, 2019, 5:18 pm

I'm doing a direct turnaround at Dublin to catch the inaugural DFW-DUB flight today. There's two hours before arrival and landing. I can't get a mobile boarding pass to show up on my phone, will I have any issues if I try to use one printed at home? I know some airports don't recognize boarding passes printed at home as "real"

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.