Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Ex DUB logistics and positioning | clinic thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 9, 2016, 2:35 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Pilot37
This is a "clinic" thread, so a great way to find out how to go via Dublin Airport en route to somewhere else (probably!). It covers issues such as back to back flights, overnight stopovers, passport and security issues, and logistical issues. There have been some recent posts about the viability of back to back trips, for which more reports of recent experiences would be helpful. See post 1468 onwards for more information.

Other threads which may well be useful include:
BA Tier Point Runs 2017
Premium Fare deals (J and F)
Ex-Mainland Europe Travel Planning Guide
Back-to-back / Immediate Turnarounds at BA Destinations
Travel with BA from Cork, Shannon and Knock - a pictorial guide

These sorts of flight arrangements aren't for everyone. If you have a family and luggage to check in, the potential cost savings have to weighed against the additional hassle and risk. Generally speaking it is safest to go either back to back or overnight - the latter is easier with checked luggage. The underlying logic for this is in this post.
Print Wikipost

Ex DUB logistics and positioning | clinic thread

Search this Thread

Old Apr 6, 2018, 8:50 am

Programs: BA Gold GGL (CCR), FB Gold, Marriott Platinum, HHons Diamond
Thoughts on a LHR-DUB-LHR back to back

Tenured ex-EU warrior with a 100% record to date, although never tried any tight cx like this before...wondering what the back to back experiences in Dublin are these days. How long do I need to land and get back through FT security after LHR-DUB (CE Seat 1D) to make the backtrack flight to LHR? Assuming usual gate I estimate 10 mins to get through landside, 5 more to reach FT security, 10 to clear it and 5-10 back up to the 200 gates (Around 30 mins). Is it enough? Too risky? Tight on TPs for CCR renewal this year so trying to maximise opportunities...
Old Apr 6, 2018, 8:55 am

Programs: BAEC Gfl, GGL
Last few times I’ve been through,
it took me around 20 mins in total.
Old Apr 6, 2018, 8:57 am

Programs: BA Gold (ex-GGL, maybe future Silver), Hilton Diamond
It took me 22 min to get back to the gate, walking quickly, last time I did it (quiet security at around 8 p.m.). Even that felt tight and boarding was nearly complete and I was among the last to board.

B2B in Dublin is definitely in the "probably fine" range but there's a non-zero chance of missing the flight. I'd ditch anything that needs to be checked - so just passport, boarding pass, phone and a credit card.
Old Apr 6, 2018, 9:06 am

Programs: BA Gold GGL (CCR), FB Gold, Marriott Platinum, HHons Diamond
Thanks folks. Thought as much. Reckon I'll take the chance since there is an FR back-up option in the evening back to EDI if it goes South. HBO and I can shift when I need to :-) Cheers
chessers1 likes this.
Old Apr 6, 2018, 11:12 am

Very dependent on time of day & what pier you arrive on. T1 100/200 pier immigration is a mess in peak periods and the new machine reader gates seem to have been an unmitigated disaster. They are not working as often as they are.
Old Apr 8, 2018, 2:32 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR
I did a successful LHR-DUB-LHR b2b yesterday on BA824/823 to complete the last legs of an ex-EU. T1 at DUB was reasonably quiet at 19:00 Saturday and I was first off the plane. I'd fortunately been able to dump all my luggage so only had essentials plus my phone charger and headphones. Even had time for a quick Guinness in the lounge before re-boarding.

However...I was only risking having to stay a night in Dublin and a ticket back to the UK the next day, so say £300. I'd be less comfortable with the risk doing this at the start of an Ex-EU. When positioning to Dublin the week before (and the night before my trip), queues at passport control were long. Add in a queue at security, and perhaps a bag that gets selected for search or swab down, and it's easy to see a Dublin b2b going off the rails.

Last edited by Wayland; Apr 8, 2018 at 5:52 am
Old Apr 9, 2018, 6:23 am

Programs: BA silver
Some questions as we are returning to DUB from PHL later in the week, due to land at 0855 .

Currently we are booked on the 1255 with plus tickets. We'd like to bring this forward to the 1045 if there is space,and I know I need to do this an hour before the new flight, but as we have hold luggage that we need to recheck, is the bag drop deadline at Dublin also 60 minutes or 45? (thinking about how long it will take the bags to arrive and the t2-t1 walk distance)

secondly, will Dublin security accept duty free in sealed bags from PHL?
Old Jul 30, 2018, 4:40 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Hi guys, little advice please.

I have a DUB-LHR-JFK trip coming up. The DUB flight is at 12:55.

I am yet to book the positioning flight, which will be LGW-DUB.

I will have checked luggage, so wanted your view on how much time to allow to collect bags, recheck and pass security.

Currebtly I’m thinking of booking an EI flight that arrives in DUB at 11:25. Is 1:30 enough to make the 12:55 flight?

Alternatively there’s a FR flight landing at 11:00. Want to avoid this like the plague but if it’s more preferable time wise then I’ll have no choice.

Thanks in advance
Old Jul 30, 2018, 5:41 pm

Originally Posted by BillyBleach
Hi guys, little advice please.

I will have checked luggage, so wanted your view on how much time to allow to collect bags, recheck and pass security.

Currebtly I’m thinking of booking an EI flight that arrives in DUB at 11:25. Is 1:30 enough to make the 12:55 flight?

Alternatively there’s a FR flight landing at 11:00. Want to avoid this like the plague but if it’s more preferable time wise then I’ll have no choice.

Thanks in advance
I was going to ask if your DUB-LHR flight is EI or BA, but really the timing is too tight even if it was EI in and out of T2.

I’d only book it if you’re pretty relaxed about whether you make the next leg.
Old Jul 30, 2018, 9:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Really you only have 45 minutes because of the check in / bag drop close time. Well even less than that because you don't want to present yourself dead on 45 minutes and finding a queue!

last time I was at DUB the bags took an age to arrive for some reason - at least 10 mins if not more of waiting at the belt after clearing passport control where I was first in the empty queue. Though this was for an early evening arrival ex LCY on BA so a mid day arrival could be very different. (Note I wasn’t doing a B2B but staying over)

How long do you have between your arrival at LHR and your departure to JFK because an option might be to use the airportr service which would cut that hassle for you at DUB but you’d need time to retrieve the bags from them and check them in at T5 when you arrived there. They may not offer the check in service for pax checking in bags mid way through a trip though it could be worth looking at. They do offer a LGW - LHR delivery service though their delivery times may mean you have to get to LGW earlier to meet those.

is there no way you can position from LHR?

Last edited by UKtravelbear; Jul 30, 2018 at 10:19 pm
Old Jul 31, 2018, 1:14 am

Programs: BA Gold
Thanks for the replies.

I could fo LHR, it’s just an earlier start on an already long day.

BA have a 8:50 flight, getting into DUB for 10:00. That surely gives me enough time to exit and bag drop again.
Old Jul 31, 2018, 1:32 am

Thanks for the replies.

BA have a 8:50 flight, getting into DUB for 10:00. That surely gives me enough time to exit and bag drop again.
That would certainly be my recommendation. As you're not doing hand luggage only I'd take the longer day over a 90% chance of missing your onward flight.
Old Jul 31, 2018, 11:34 am

Programs: BA GGL, CCR, LTG
I'm off to Reno via Phoenix on Sunday and commencing in Dublin on the 09.15. Hand baggage only so am risking the b2b connection. Anyone else travelling that day, as the Phoenix bit seems very popular....pm me!
Old Jul 31, 2018, 1:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Thanks for the replies.

As it now looks like you are flying from LHR you could try and just check your bags in for the LHR-JFK leg which shouldn't be a major issue for check-in staff to do (when you do OLCI select 'not sure' on the number of bags as apparently selecting a number causes problems in cases like yours) OR put them in the left luggage and then collect than back on arrival at LHR and before your departure to JFK - assuming you would have enough time to do the latter of course.
Old Jul 31, 2018, 2:19 pm

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold & GGL & CCR, HH Diam, Bonvoy Titanium, IHG Spire, Tastecard

I would not in a million years attempt this. 90 mins is tight even if everything runs on time and you'll have to wait for bags, change terminal etc.

Definitely take the earlier flight - or leave bags in LHR. or go the night before for complete stress-free-ness.
T8191 and mikeyfly like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.