Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Ex DUB logistics and positioning | clinic thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 9, 2016, 2:35 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Pilot37
This is a "clinic" thread, so a great way to find out how to go via Dublin Airport en route to somewhere else (probably!). It covers issues such as back to back flights, overnight stopovers, passport and security issues, and logistical issues. There have been some recent posts about the viability of back to back trips, for which more reports of recent experiences would be helpful. See post 1468 onwards for more information.

Other threads which may well be useful include:
BA Tier Point Runs 2017
Premium Fare deals (J and F)
Ex-Mainland Europe Travel Planning Guide
Back-to-back / Immediate Turnarounds at BA Destinations
Travel with BA from Cork, Shannon and Knock - a pictorial guide

These sorts of flight arrangements aren't for everyone. If you have a family and luggage to check in, the potential cost savings have to weighed against the additional hassle and risk. Generally speaking it is safest to go either back to back or overnight - the latter is easier with checked luggage. The underlying logic for this is in this post.
Print Wikipost

Ex DUB logistics and positioning | clinic thread

Search this Thread

Old Jul 24, 2017, 8:36 am
sgm

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by dylanks
And one more due to the 10 image limit per post...
thanks for the photos.... the new seats look more comfortable.
Old Jul 24, 2017, 8:50 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by sgm
thanks for the photos.... the new seats look more comfortable.
They are, but due to pilfering there is now no self serve alcohol. All the food items are also presented in such a way that they cannot be (easily) removed from the lounge. Apparently even BA passengers had started pilfering.
Old Jul 24, 2017, 9:03 am

Originally Posted by Tobias-UK
They are, but due to pilfering there is now no self serve alcohol. All the food items are also presented in such a way that they cannot be (easily) removed from the lounge. Apparently even BA passengers had started pilfering.
How surprising
Old Jul 24, 2017, 10:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Originally Posted by flashware
How surprising
There is, sadly, no limit to the sense of self-entitlement and inherent immorality of some people.

But we/I digress ... there are other threads for self-justification or opprobrium.
Old Jul 24, 2017, 1:53 pm

Originally Posted by Tobias-UK
"even BA passengers"?

Is there some sort of chronological hierarchy of pilfering available?!
Old Jul 24, 2017, 2:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Originally Posted by Kgmm77
"even BA passengers"?

Is there some sort of chronological hierarchy of pilfering available?!
No, not really. It's just that this sub-Forum highlights those who don't worry about taking stuff from Lounges
Old Jul 24, 2017, 2:19 pm
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by T8191
No, not really. It's just that this sub-Forum highlights those who don't worry about taking stuff from Lounges
Indeed. ... and it was a specific remark made to me by one of the lounge supervisors.
Old Jul 26, 2017, 1:15 am

Programs: BA GGL/GfL; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Ambassador; IHG Diamond;
Another datapoint to confirm that DUB b2b's are still possible if things go right - I managed a 9min 28s aircraft door to door turnaround going through the landside/fast track security route for late LCY flight earlier this week. Flight arrived and departed on time. It was gate 301, so that made things a bit easier. I did try following the flight connections signs towards the far end of the baggage claim area, only to find it roped-off with a "do-not-enter" sign, and had to backtrack and go out and around through customs.
Old Jul 26, 2017, 1:22 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by flyingnomad
. I did try following the flight connections signs towards the far end of the baggage claim area, only to find it roped-off with a "do-not-enter" sign, and had to backtrack and go out and around through customs.
Yeah, I will reiterate (once again!) -.NEVER go via Flight Connections for DUB back to backs. It would slow you down even if it was open. But thanks for the confirmation, I suspect evenings are a good time.
Old Jul 26, 2017, 6:02 am

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold & GGL & CCR, HH Diam, Bonvoy Titanium, IHG Spire, Tastecard
Originally Posted by flyingnomad
Another datapoint to confirm that DUB b2b's are still possible if things go right - I managed a 9min 28s aircraft door to door turnaround going through the landside/fast track security route for late LCY flight earlier this week. Flight arrived and departed on time. It was gate 301, so that made things a bit easier. I did try following the flight connections signs towards the far end of the baggage claim area, only to find it roped-off with a "do-not-enter" sign, and had to backtrack and go out and around through customs.
LCY and the 300 gates aren't the issue though - that was always decently possible (and KARFA and I are arguing over who holds the record (faster than you)).

the 200s (i.e. LHR flights) are the issue nowadays.
Old Jul 26, 2017, 6:19 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Is it the case that LCY flights are sometimes at the 300 and sometimes at the 200 gates?

I assume all LHR flights are 200 now.
Old Jul 26, 2017, 7:34 am

Originally Posted by KARFA
Is it the case that LCY flights are sometimes at the 300 and sometimes at the 200 gates?

I assume all LHR flights are 200 now.
4468/9 is 300s.
4462/3 is 200s.
4470/61 is 200s.
Unsure about the middle of the day flights.
Old Jul 27, 2017, 1:17 am
Community Director

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Diamond Ambassador
MrsNWI and I came through DUB on the 824 with a B2B onto 823, through gate 209, last night. We left the plane at 7.30pm, reached immigration just as a planeload of passengers were appearing from the opposite direction, ran to get ahead of them, and an airport employee noticed us and pushed us to the front of a queue (which essentially only saved us a one person delay). I confused the poor immigration officer who asked me where I was coming from and going to, we went up the escalator to departures, ran across to Fast Track, got held up for a couple of minutes by two people in front who didn't seem to understand the concept of wearing something metal around their wrists being an issue with the detectors - and were still back at the gate by 7.42pm, just as priority boarding started.

Cue a very impressed CSM and member of CE cabin crew who high fived us both as we re-entered the plane.

So, yes, there is an immigration risk at DUB, but if it's a lottery I'd say it's one played with extremely good odds.
Old Jul 27, 2017, 1:52 am

Programs: BA Gold (woohoo)
4462 (from LCY) and 4467 (back to LCY) were both 300's yesterday. Lots and lots of people in the non-EU immigration queue but a handful in the EU and I was through in a minute or two.
Old Jul 27, 2017, 8:22 am
Suspended

Programs: BAEC GGL, HH DIAMOND, AVIS Presidents Club, Karahi Express
Have an Ex-DUB flight coming up.

DUB-LHR
LHR-YVR (another passenger joining at LHR)

As YVR flight leaves from T3, planning on exiting T5 and making own way to T3 as have plenty of time.

I want to checkin my luggage at LHR T3 on arrival from DUB. Is that possible as this would be the 2nd flight segment. (Luggage will be brought to T3)

Basically do not want to check them to DUB on the positioning flight.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.