Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Holiday to Iceland and Seattle

Search this Thread

Old Jan 3, 2016, 10:41 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Exec, Amex Plat, CX Gold, etc.
Holiday to Iceland and Seattle

Hi All,
First off - hope you all had a good holiday season and may your delays in 2016 be small, and your holding patterns non existent...

My partner and I have got kinda use to the comforts in J & F especially when it comes to LH trips...

In September we'd like to visit Iceland followed by friends in Seattle. We're hoping to combine these into a single trip (a week in Iceland followed by Seattle) the obvious way to do it is via Iceland Air. But that has minimal earning opportunities for either Avios or Tier points. I've messed around using ITA Matrix (Something that has previously been very successful!) but can't seem to find anything obvious.

Finnair seem to want me to go via SVG, and BA seem to want to charge me 9k for a J flight...

Perhaps just suck it up and fly Iceland air is the only choice? Seems a shame to miss out on the Avios and Tier points potential though. Anyone have any better ideas?

Thanks in advance!
Old Jan 3, 2016, 10:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GMLFL, Life 2.0 - Mucci Premiere Classe & des Chevaliers Toulousiens
BA direct....

Not sure I would spend the additional GBP 430 each on J though.

KEF-SEA is never going to be easy, if you don't like the minimal comfort Icelandair provides in J. Think old domestic F in the US, for GBP 1500...

Maybe better to split into two trips.
Old Jan 3, 2016, 11:25 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Alan Smith
I've messed around using ITA Matrix (Something that has previously been very successful!) but can't seem to find anything obvious.
I did LHR-KEF just before Christmas, and was surprised to note there were some people flying KEF-LHR-somewhere in USA, ORD I think. I looked at ITA at the time and saw an interesting but not amazing fare and thought "ah, competing against Icelandair". I've had a look just now and it's all in the £3.5k to £4k area, plus some AirBerlin to NYC nearer 2k, and that wouldn't be comfortable (but has Avios potential I guess). I distinctly remember this because I noted that KEF is in the top tier / foolproof for back to back potential. So I don't think your memory is tricking you here.

So my hunch is that there may have been a sale on, and BA being the DFS of airlines, you may not have to wait long for another. I guess one option is the Avios route, and cancel it if BA does come up with something better on the revenue side.

Interestingly there was also some Icelandair to LHR transfer passengers on the KEF-LHR sector, even though FI should have that sewn up. Since one of them was a UM, we had to wait 40 minutes for the late running connection, courtesy of one of BA's rivals....
Old Jan 3, 2016, 1:40 pm

Have you looked at doing LHR-KEF-DUB on one ticket then an ex EU DUB-LHR-SEA-LHR-DUB on another.There are some cheap deals ex DUB at the moment.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.